WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cell Phone Sucker Needing Advice

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Damn . . .I'm so over these high priced cell phones.
I'm always the sucker who gets con'd into some lame-ass 'deal' by the shifty kid in the cell store.
Last time I got swindled into adding a second line with the 'promise' my bill would go down . . . yeah I was dumb enough to believe that.
So I cancelled the 2nd line, paid off the bill/phone, and sure enough my bill actually did go up.
$190 / month with Sprint . . . what a joke.
Well since I purged myself off social media, and rarely browse the internet from my phone . . . I really have no real 'need' for more than a phone, text, and occasional internet info search.
Anybody have experience with some good low-cost options ?

Last edited:

Berdes

Reaction score
My kids laugh at me for using TracFone, but I spend in a year for two phones what they each spend for a single phone in a month.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
iPhone SE is a good deal IMO. I’m on Verizon (since 2002). Pick your plan and done.

Seems the best deals are switching to another provider when contract period ends. Or adding new line. Otherwise, you get a few bucks off on phones during certain sales. I’ve actually started upgrading via the Verizon website as in person upgrades always seem like you’re making out…then you don’t. The website is very clear about what you are getting and pricing.

There’s still some non-smartphones available if that’s what you prefer.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Wife and I ditched our cell service plans few years ago because of the ever increasing rates. Got a couple of phones from walmart and been doing the pre-paid deal ever since. Service is AT&T, but other carriers may be available... costs like $40-$45 bucks a month per phone. Unlimited talk and text... I don't recall the data part of the plan, starts off pretty low, but whatever doesn't get used rolls over each month. I don't do a whole helluva lot online, occasional searches and RDP, and spotify sometimes, I've never ran out of data. Phone is a Motorola... https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Motorola-Moto-G7-Play-32GB-Deep-Indigo-Prepaid-Smartphone/990932452, but they offer others depending on what ya want to spend.

gqchris

Reaction score
The phone and internet services game is always a headache.

I say just buy an Iphone SE like Bowtie mentioned outright thats unlocked and choose your network.

I just accept the fact that its part of business and move on. They all price gouge and its not worth my headache to fight it every week!

badgas

Reaction score
Google Pixel 4A $349 unlocked. This a Great budget phone USB type C fast charging, headphone jack , super fast fingerprint reader on the back.

Don't be afraid to switch, The stock Android on the Pixel is very user friendly. Apple's IOS has been adopting SO many Adnroid features over the years that switching over is not like it used to be. The call screening feature for spammers makes the phone worth $5K : )

My family all has iphone 's 10S, 11 etc. and they all want to use my pixel 4A for the camera

It is the best phone I have ever used.

If you feel you must have an iphone then you are just going to pay

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
@badgas @Devilman @Berdes @bowtiejunkie . . . thanks for the heads up.
I have 2 iphone XR's that I got when I renew'd with sprint a couple years ago. One's still in the box. But sprints been screwing me over ever since.
They gave me some bogus 'tracker' i didn't even realize that I was paying for each month that's still in the box and going back to the store today.
Time for a change.
Thanks again, i'll look into those.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
@badgas @Devilman @Berdes @bowtiejunkie . . . thanks for the heads up.
I have 2 iphone XR's that I got when I renew'd with sprint a couple years ago. One's still in the box. But sprints been screwing me over ever since.
They gave me some bogus 'tracker' i didn't even realize that I was paying for each month that's still in the box and going back to the store today.
Time for a change.
Thanks again, i'll look into those.

Are your phones unlocked?

petie6464

Reaction score
Buy a phone, get the pre paid card and from that set it up to autopay. In Havasu Verizon $45/mo. Unlimited with Hotspot.
Screw all that contact crap that shit played out in the 90's.

Soon this whole "Cell phone" concept will be like having a landline.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We switched to ATT prepaid like 5 years ago. You can buy an apple iPhone for like $300 at Costco..no contract unlocked. I bought a ATT prepaid iPhone 7 kit for my oldest at Walmart for like $200...if you have the phones then pick up the sim kit at Walmart, and then pick a plan online. You get a discount for autopay (like $10 per line) I'm out about $120 a month on 3 phones service w/unlimited data on mine, and like 10g on the other two.

I sold cell phones in like 2005..it was a racket then and it is now.. the prepaid deal works out well for us..never had an issue.

samsah33

Reaction score
Not sure about phones, but we got the service from Twigby for our kids a while back with used phones and will likely move my and my wife's plans over to this company. They piggyback on the Verizon network. There's a bunch of others low cost services out there, but so far so good with these guys:

HCP3

Reaction score
No need for contracts anymore. Buy an unlocked phone outright or finance with 0% APR. "Bring your phone" on a carrier website. They will send you a sim or activate via e-sim. Or, literally bring your phone to a store for them to activate.

Just make sure your phone is compatible with your carrier of choice. They will have a list of phones on their website.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Jeez these carriers are something else . . . I cancelled the 1 phone/ number and they were able to unlock it over the phone.
and of course they say, may I ask why you want it unlocked? I said I was giving the phone to my Dad.
Then she says that they can't unlock my current 'active' phone unless I'm going to switch carriers or go international. I said, "I will be driving to Cabo this summer" . . . she said, oh in that case I will unlock it, but it may take 12-24 hours . . . . . classic.
So they are 'supposedly' both unlocked now.

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Damn . . .I'm so over these high priced cell phones.
I'm always the sucker who gets con'd into some lame-ass 'deal' by the shifty kid in the cell store.
Last time I got swindled into adding a second line with the 'promise' my bill would go down . . . yeah I was dumb enough to believe that.
So I cancelled the 2nd line, paid off the bill/phone, and sure enough my bill actually did go up.
$190 / month with Sprint . . . what a joke.
Well since I purged myself off social media, and rarely browse the internet from my phone . . . I really have no real 'need' for more than a phone, text, and occasional internet info search.
Anybody have experience with some good low-cost options ?
I've been on a 'Burner Phone" [no contract] for personal use for 5 years now. Ever since big brother began monitoring locations and key strokes I decided to use it for all personal use. A peer of mine got canned for some sketchy use on company issued cell. I figured anything Bransons got hands in should be fine. Happy with service but I only use it for texting, live calls and pics storage with minimal internet. $25/ mth and no contract in case I become unpleased. Very pleased to date. Be Warned though.... if you're the type who needs any hand holding or questions answered don't use Virgin ... zero customer service capabilities. They hit my card for $25 ea. mth and thats it. I tried over the years for a customer touch and its like you don't exist, lol.

Virgin Mobile Official Site | Virgin Media

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I've been on a 'Burner Phone" [no contract] for personal use for 5 years now. Ever since big brother began monitoring locations and key strokes I decided to use it for all personal use. A peer of mine got canned for some sketchy use on company issued cell. I figured anything Bransons got hands in should be fine. Happy with service but I only use it for texting, live calls and pics storage with minimal internet. $25/ mth and no contract in case I become unpleased. Very pleased to date. Be Warned though.... if you're the type who needs any hand holding or questions answered don't use Virgin ... zero customer service capabilities. They hit my card for $25 ea. mth and thats it. I tried over the years for a customer touch and its like you don't exist, lol.

Virgin Mobile Official Site | Virgin Media
Nice. . . . & makes sense. 👍
I had no idea there were so many good options out there nowadays.
I was being a typical idiot over-paying for something I shouldn't be.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Hey . . . just wanted to say thanks for all the intel / replies on this.
I got my 2 phones unlocked, paid for, and I'm out of my sprint garbage contract.
Looking forward to not forking over a bunch of dough I don't really have each month.
River Daves Brain Trust to the Rescue !
Much obliged.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
So if you go to an unlocked phone with a carrier of your choice is there a way to keep your number? I’ve had the same number for years and would rather not change it. I’m with ATT, my phone is paid off and still works great for now. I’m sick of their shit and the unlocked monthly plan stuff is real tempting.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
So if you go to an unlocked phone with a carrier of your choice is there a way to keep your number? I’ve had the same number for years and would rather not change it. I’m with ATT, my phone is paid off and still works great for now. I’m sick of their shit and the unlocked monthly plan stuff is real tempting.

Yes. You can always keep your phone number, it's called number "porting".

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yep 100% no problem . . . they ask for the IMEI # of your phone (similar to a vehicle VIN) to make sure your model phone is compatible w/ their network.
Then they ask for the SIM card # . . . also a bunch of digits.
(my SIM wasn't compatible so they mailed me out a new one free of charge arriving tomorrow).
. . . Oh as far as 'unlocking' the phone, Sprint did it over the air, so no need to go into a store.

When the SIM arrives, they said, just follow the directions and log-on to our site and it's super easy.

BTW . . . i found this article which kinda helped me out a bit. There are LOTS of different companies offering various pre-paid plans to suite your particular needs.
My only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Yep 100% no problem . . . they ask for the IMEI # of your phone (similar to a vehicle VIN) to make sure your model phone is compatible w/ their network.
Then they ask for the SIM card # . . . also a bunch of digits.
(my SIM wasn't compatible so they mailed me out a new one free of charge arriving tomorrow).
. . . Oh as far as 'unlocking' the phone, Sprint did it over the air, so no need to go into a store.

When the SIM arrives, they said, just follow the directions and log-on to our site and it's super easy.

BTW . . . i found this article which kinda helped me out a bit. There are LOTS of different companies offering various pre-paid plans to suite your particular needs.
My only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

Who did you end up going with?

C-2

Reaction score
I'm old enough enough to remember paying $600 month for 3 business landline phones and one 800 number. And then you had the "long distance" charges.

I don't mind paying $235 for 3 phones with 2 of them financed.

boatpi

Reaction score
I am in sprint/T Mobile, 5 phones at about $210 a month no contract. We used newer
Phones as we do travel abroad. I can go Most anywhere in the world and use a smartphone now.
If no cell just use wi FYI calling to USA all free. Amazing how the world has changed.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Who did you end up going with?
I'm gonna try verizon 1st mainly because of their coverage.
15 GB/month for $50 for the 1st 3 months, then it goes down to $40/month, then after 9 months it's $35/month.
Their lowest 'Unlimited' Plan was $15 more / month, but I really don't use much data, and my intention was to save money, so we'll see.
They said no sweat changiing-up or changing-down your plan each month . . . they just seem to reward you a little for what they call 'Loyalty'.
Just happy to be shaving $100/month off my bill for service/ coverage that wasn't that great w/sprint.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
15 GB/month for $50 for the 1st 3 months, then it goes down to $40/month, then after 9 months it's $35/month.
Their lowest 'Unlimited' Plan was $15 more / month, but I really don't use much data, and my intention was to save money, so we'll see.
They said no sweat changiing-up or changing-down your plan each month . . . they just seem to reward you a little for what they call 'Loyalty'.
Just happy to be shaving $100/month off my bill for service/ coverage that wasn't that great w/sprint.

You’ll like the coverage a lot better with Verizon

C-2

Reaction score

They are full of it on the "Loyalty". I have had the same cell numbers since cell phones became mainstream in 1998, and I've been with Verizon since they became Verizon, which is about 21 years.

I switched from a business account to a personal account late last year to save $30/month ($10/line) for auto pay. Except, I was never able to set it up and I spent about 25 hours trying to get it straightened out. I literally spent over 8 hours in a single day, working patiently with them to try and set it up (I was doing work while on hold and I understood the delays caused by COVID).

Then one day they disconnected service for non-payment. Except, the line was only 3 months old and I proved all payments were made. But they still refused to reverse the disconnect fee (another 4 hours wasted on the phone with them).

I spent about 40 hours sorting it out. I had supervisors hang up on me after waiting for over 4 hours on hold, and one of them told me they preferred I didn't take my business elsewhere, but they really didn't care if I did. "I've been with you guys for 21-years straight, doesn't that mean anything? I asked. Nope was their answer.

I had to invoke Arbitration with them before they finally agreed to credit the $150 disconnect fee.

Anyhow, make sure you sign up for the auto pay discount - it literally pays for the cost of a financed phone.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I haven't had a phone payment for 4 or 5 years. I keep the insurance on it, and when ever it stops working, won't hold a charge, or whatever, they over ight me a refurbished one at no charge. When they can't get my model, they move you up to the next model. I started with a Galaxy S4, then to an S6, now on an S8. It does everything I need it to do. It takes great pictures, 1080 video, and I don't want anything larger. New iPhones take a little better pictures, but it isn't worth $1,000 for a phone.

I don't want to pay new phone prices.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
They are full of it on the "Loyalty". I have had the same cell numbers since cell phones became mainstream in 1998, and I've been with Verizon since they became Verizon, which is about 21 years.

I switched from a business account to a personal account late last year to save $30/month ($10/line) for auto pay. Except, I was never able to set it up and I spent about 25 hours trying to get it straightened out. I literally spent over 8 hours in a single day, working patiently with them to try and set it up (I was doing work while on hold and I understood the delays caused by COVID).

Then one day they disconnected service for non-payment. Except, the line was only 3 months old and I proved all payments were made. But they still refused to reverse the disconnect fee (another 4 hours wasted on the phone with them).

I spent about 40 hours sorting it out. I had supervisors hang up on me after waiting for over 4 hours on hold, and one of them told me they preferred I didn't take my business elsewhere, but they really didn't care if I did. "I've been with you guys for 21-years straight, doesn't that mean anything? I asked. Nope was their answer.

I had to invoke Arbitration with them before they finally agreed to credit the $150 disconnect fee.

Anyhow, make sure you sign up for the auto pay discount - it literally pays for the cost of a financed phone.
Yikes . . . thanks for that. Thst's a Crazy story.
I had something similar happen years ago with AT&T . . . but I was partially at fault, so I just ate it.
But you're right, they didn't budge.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
I haven't had a phone payment for 4 or 5 years. I keep the insurance on it, and when ever it stops working, won't hold a charge, or whatever, they over ight me a refurbished one at no charge. When they can't get my model, they move you up to the next model. I started with a Galaxy S4, then to an S6, now on an S8. It does everything I need it to do. It takes great pictures, 1080 video, and I don't want anything larger. New iPhones take a little better pictures, but it isn't worth $1,000 for a phone.

I don't want to pay new phone prices.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Wait, huh?, what carrier and insurance company?

Thru Verizon, Asurion raised the deductible to $200, or was it $150?
Because of that, I cancelled the 3 phone coverage at $45/month since between the premiums paid and the deductibe...one claim per year still cost $740 and I figured you could buy an unlocked refurb phone for less than $300

rrrr

Reaction score
I bought two new Moto G8s directly from Motorola a few months ago for $116 each. The phone does everything a casual user needs. It's not a "basic" phone, it does all Android apps, and its internal capabilities are second to none.

All you need to do is request a SIM card from your carrier, turn it on, and it will walk you through migrating the data over from your new phone. There's no hassles reinstalling apps and contacts. Just make sure you have your old phone backed up on the free Google cloud services first. That makes mistakes inconsequential.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Look whose the expert now

DaveH

Reaction score
I'm old enough enough to remember paying $600 month for 3 business landline phones and one 800 number. And then you had the "long distance" charges.

I don't mind paying $235 for 3 phones with 2 of them financed.
THIS^

or remember when cell phones first came out, they were .50 cents a minute. common for people to have a $500 month bill with service that was lousy,

ya'll can bitch about what cell service costs...but I worked for one of the big two carriers for 22 years. you have NO IDEA what goes into providing service everywhere you go,,
fast internet connection and a very powerful (and expensive) mobile device that does all the things we want. the infrastructure to do it is mind boggling.

the carriers spend MASSIVE ampounts of $$$ to put up the towers that are fed with fiber, backed up power, running 24x7x365. then the technology moves forward needing constant expensive upgrades and expansions.

and this done in a highly competitive market, with very thin margins for the carriers. think I'm full of it? show me one service provider that is rolling in doe and stock holders making money like crazy. isn't out there.

we have just gotten so used to the level of service and capabilities of modern mobile networks, with a younger generation that has had it all there lives......and yet think it should cost pennies.