WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ceramic Coating

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
And no, not the shit for your boat or car!

I had a 10" Teflon frying pan that had some chips and needed to be upgraded/thrown out.

If you don't know about how bad Teflon has turned out to be, Google it. Turns out it's killing us all. 😕

So I did some homework on ceramic pans and ended up with this one.

I got it cause having the little "helper handle" thing is a big plus with a 12" pan, it came with a lid, and the price was more than decent. I've never owned a ceramic pan before, so I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I might not like!

Cons? It's not as thick as I wanted it to be, but that goes along with the price.

Overall? I freaking LOVE this thing! It's super slick, seems WAY slicker than Teflon. Trying to make pancakes this morning, it was hard to get the spatula underneath them, casue they would slide right across the pan!

Cleanup was painless. Nothing stuck to it, inside or out.

Ill be going back for a 10" pan. Now that I know how good these pans are, I'll be looking for thicker one now. I'm sure it will be way more expensive.

If you guys already know what I need, post it up.

Thanks! 👍🏼👍🏼

counterpart7

Reaction score
Loved our ceramic pans at first(cheap foodnetwork ones, so this may not be everyones experience), but they only seem to last a year at best. Threw one away the other day because it was impossible to get food off of it now that the coating has worn away.

Read the instructions and keep them on low to medium heat. And i’ve read somewhere they need to be seasoned every so often. Seems like more work than what it saves in the end. We are planning on picking up new pans soon so I’m curious to hear other peoples opinions!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I’m sure the chemicals in ceramic coating are safe as well. 🤦🏼‍♂️

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m sure the chemicals in ceramic coating are safe as well. 🤦🏼‍♂️

From what I understand it's just sand? Something like melted glass?

Loved our ceramic pans at first(cheap foodnetwork ones, so this may not be everyones experience), but they only seem to last a year at best. Threw one away the other day because it was impossible to get food off of it now that the coating has worn away.

Read the instructions and keep them on low to medium heat. And i’ve read somewhere they need to be seasoned every so often. Seems like more work than what it saves in the end. We are planning on picking up new pans soon so I’m curious to hear other peoples opinions!

I'm reading they usually last about 2 years. For 45 bucks, I'm perfectly ok with that.

I did find some 100 percent ceramic cookware that's supposed to last forever. Looks a bit pricey though?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When that Teflon started flaking off, I got concerned. That's when I switched over to cast iron.

I love my cast iron pan. But it's not something I use for everything. Steaks? Hell yeah. Nothing better. 👍🏼

sintax

Reaction score
I love my cast iron pan. But it's not something I use for everything. Steaks? Hell yeah. Nothing better. 👍🏼

i use cast iron 99% of the time. Just about the only thing i dont use cast iron for is acid based items (spaghetti / chili). I do have some carbon steel pans that i've tried to work into my routine, but i'm just not super stoked on them. I do still have a set of All-Clad stainless copper core as well that still gets some use.

I can fry an egg off in my cast iron and break it loose with a shake, I can do french style eggs too, just gotta be good about clean up. Clean up while still hot.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
i use cast iron 99% of the time. Just about the only thing i dont use cast iron for is acid based items (spaghetti / chili). I do have some carbon steel pans that i've tried to work into my routine, but i'm just not super stoked on them. I do still have a set of All-Clad stainless copper core as well that still gets some use.

I can fry an egg off in my cast iron and break it loose with a shake, I can do french style eggs too, just gotta be good about clean up. Clean up while still hot.

I have a 10" cast iron that gets the heavy chores. Steaks and that sorta thing. Works killer for omelets and stuff too. I have it dialed like yours. Not much sticks to it at all.

But, I'm never JUST eating a steak!

I have full stainless set for light duty/low heat chores, and the pots always work for making smashed potatoes, boiling artichokes and stuff. (stainless is a BITCH to clean up if you get something too hot in it) :mad:

The no stick pans are for sauteing side dishes and stuff. Sometimes I'll have 3 to 4 things cooking at the same time! I liked this new one so much, I went out and bought the 8" and 10" frying pans as well. Another 45.00 at Kohl's. If I get 2 years out of them, I'll be stoked. I really just wish they were thicker.

Oh well. I'm sure my cast iron pan will outlast me! :p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Several generations😉
I’m sure when I’m gone my daughter will be cooking on the pan ive been using for years.
My grandmother was cooking on it before I was born.

I can remember when Teflon pans first came out. My mom and her sister threw out all of their cast iron pans. They were So happy!

Knowing what we know now, that's probably why my mom died of cancer.

😡😕