WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Certified pre owned vs not

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’m going to post this truck here even though I’m pretty sure that will lead to someone buying it first but oh well. I’m looking at this one and it pretty much hits the marks, now my question is, is buying certified pre owned better than just pre owned. It’s going to cost me a little more. Also would you prefer a dealer over a used truck lot? I’m getting closer and before I go and buy this today I figured I’d ask some questions. I haven’t reached out to Jason yet because I don’t think he works weekends but it’s listed as a LTZ with black interior and pictures show otherwise. I did the online chat and the girl told me they were old stock pictures but that doesn’t make too much sense. https://www.carfax.com/Used-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD_w120

Singleton

Reaction score
Get a 4 door. You never know when you will be taking all the kids to work to teach them :)

Purchased 2 Certified Pre-Owned. Both gave me an extended warranty.

Example - on the Chevy Cruze I purchased, it had a 100k factory warranty. Car had 32k on it. Dealer verified plan, extended warranty to 132k. Plus I got 4 years of oil changes

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
CPO is a good way to go on vehicles with a warranty service history. On a vehicle that has been solid warranty wise CPO is a waste of $$$

The CPO warranty is usually 12 months and they fix any/everything of you take it back. My Sequoia was CPO when I bought it and it had a blown speaker and I took it back and they fixed it. Make sure you know the warranty history before you buy, and what recalls are unserviced.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
E79B2C9A-A3C1-41CA-AA66-A5CC162DB02B.png
D879BE33-360A-4D38-A5E5-9F65A791C675.png

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Also I know it looks like an old man truck but I don’t care. If I do end up getting it I’m leaving it just the way it sits

84miller

Reaction score
I bought a certified low mileage car. In the actual paper work the dealership include the check off list of the certification. Drove the car not even 10 miles and it had a problem, electrical. Took it back to the dealership the next day. General manager of service told me they did not have the "equipment" to work on the issue and take it to a dealership of the manufacturer. Did, took it over to Dodge. Asked Dodge to look at the issue and look the car over. Long story short, Dodge found the electrical problem quickly, which I had looked up online and told the purchasing dealership could be the problem. It was a secondary anti-theft device that was installed that needed to un-installed that the purchasing dealership should have know about, because they installed it. Also, this is the whole point, Dodge found multiple issues with the car, too much to list here, but I had that certified check off list. Purchasing dealership said bring it back we will fix it all. I said no way, Dodge is going to fix it all and you guys are going to pay for it. Did not see the car for 6 weeks. The bill from Dodge, discounted, was $6,400.00, I paid $9,400.00 for the car, purchasing dealership paid Dodge. A certified pre-owned car means NOTHING. I had to be pretty aggressive and ugly to make it right and this was with a highly respected dealership.

HCP3

Reaction score
I bought a certified low mileage car. In the actual paper work the dealership include the check off list of the certification. Drove the car not even 10 miles and it had a problem, electrical. Took it back to the dealership the next day. General manager of service told me they did not have the "equipment" to work on the issue and take it to a dealership of the manufacturer. Did, took it over to Dodge. Asked Dodge to look at the issue and look the car over. Long story short, Dodge found the electrical problem quickly, which I had looked up online and told the purchasing dealership could be the problem. It was a secondary anti-theft device that was installed that needed to un-installed that the purchasing dealership should have know about, because they installed it. Also, this is the whole point, Dodge found multiple issues with the car, too much to list here, but I had that certified check off list. Purchasing dealership said bring it back we will fix it all. I said no way, Dodge is going to fix it all and you guys are going to pay for it. Did not see the car for 6 weeks. The bill from Dodge, discounted, was $6,400.00, I paid $9,400.00 for the car, purchasing dealership paid Dodge. A certified pre-owned car means NOTHING. I had to be pretty aggressive and ugly to make it right and this was with a highly respected dealership.

Doesn't sound like a CPO to me. Sounds like you bought from a shady used car dealer.

hallett21

Reaction score
Also I know it looks like an old man truck but I don’t care. If I do end up getting it I’m leaving it just the way it sits

You get the good deals on old man trucks lol.

I’d get 4 doors though. Even if it’s the extended cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84miller

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a CPO to me. Sounds like you bought from a shady used car dealer.
No it was from a very well known GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealership (Hoehn Carlsbad), they are reputable and well know.

PlanB

Reaction score

I have only purchased one CPO vehicle. It was a Jeep Rubicon with 9k miles on it. It had a lift and other aftermarket stuff on it. The lift had a bunch of stuff wrong with it, as well as the tire carrier missing some internal bracing. The dealer ended up fixing the tire carrier, but i had to do all the leg work of tracking down and delivering brackets to them. They also refused to fix some minor body damage caused by the lack of bracing, and the damage was not easily visible until we started working on the tire carrier. They refused to do anything about the lift. I ended up tearing the Jeep completely apart and installed a new lift. The stuff it came with went into the trash. I got a good deal on the vehicle so it all worked out, but the CPO was pretty much bullshit.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You get the good deals on old man trucks lol.

I’d get 4 doors though. Even if it’s the extended cab.

Does the ad say it’s 2 door anywhere? I figured 4 looking at the pictures but now I’m assuming the pictures aren’t the truck

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It also doesn’t mention Apple play which I thought came with the 2016 LTZ model. Maybe if @jholley signs on today he’ll see this. I don’t feel like bothering him on his day off and I don’t feel like driving to selman today either.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Does the ad say it’s 2 door anywhere? I figured 4 looking at the pictures but now I’m assuming the pictures aren’t the truck

that silver 4 door half ton shows it has a 6.6L which is a duramax pics are not actual

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
that silver 4 door half ton shows it has a 6.6L which is a duramax pics are not actual

It is a 1/2 ton, I see it now. So weird they wouldn’t just send somebody out to snap a few pics real quick

hallett21

Reaction score

Sorry was looking at the black 2 door

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If your going diesel, make sure you get a warranty that covers the mechanical side of the truck at a minimum, for as long as you intend to own it. You don't want the repair bill when it does what it will do..........

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
CPO is all about warranty as well as the vehicles are usually in better condition.

Except Honda by my house in sfv. They sold me a cpo civic and a fake car fax. I sold it and found out the real info. 2 accidents and all airbags were replaced.

Cpo is a car they fixed and give a warranty on.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
All about charging more for a used car

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

J&k beer can

Reaction score
the truck should look like this one..
tryn to get ahold of my brother to see if he can do a carfax..
i think the one at selman might of had a accident.. you do want a good warranty like others have said.. being its diesel..
call dealer and ask for updated pics...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
the truck should look like this one..
tryn to get ahold of my brother to see if he can do a carfax..
i think the one at selman might of had a accident.. you do want a good warranty like others have said.. being its diesel..
call dealer and ask for updated pics...
Soooo much beefy-errr 😍

badgas

Reaction score
I have purchased 3 CPO Toyotas. A 4runner, Prius and an FJ. I always make sure they check these boxes. One owner, No accidents, Non Rental, good service history. Preferably a So Cal vehicle. ( no extreme weather) usually a 3 year lease return. I have never had a single issue.

I kept the 4runner for 7 years and put 108k on it. Still have the 2011 FJ that we bought 8 years ago with 10K miles it now has 90K. We also have a 2006 Tacoma that would have been a CPO if they guy traded it in but it checked all those boxes and we got it private party. It had 42K miles when we got and now it has 125K

My Son has a Subaru Impreza that he bought CPO a year and half ago so its too soon to tell but so far so good. IMO you will always save going used.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Looking at the service history it looks like it’s been serviced at Bradley in havasu. Which one if you owned this truck 😜 and why didn’t you just sell it to me for 35k 😂😢

PaPaG

Reaction score
Bought a 2015 Diesel about 18 months ago, fuel pump starting making noise after putting 20k on it..took it too the dealer and they replaced it no charge because it was a certified....would have cost about 1500/2000 or more from the dealer if not certified...cost us Zero...and I only paid 1k extra for a certified car vs non...so far it was worth it and I did not have to get my hands dirty...

RodnJen

Reaction score
It’s still buyer beware no matter how you slice it. I like CPOfor the warranty but you still need to fully vet the vehicle and the dealership.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Looking at the service history it looks like it’s been serviced at Bradley in havasu. Which one if you owned this truck 😜 and why didn’t you just sell it to me for 35k 😂😢

Find one that someone is going to trade in, give them $500 more than trade in and save yourself $4k.

I did that with our 4Runner.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I prefer CPO cars.
My Silverado and wife’s Suburban were purchased as CPO, sight unseen.

Very happy my with the vehicles, condition and especially warranty coverage.

No it was from a very well known GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealership (Hoehn Carlsbad), they are reputable and well know.

Dood, CPO programs are thru the manufacturer of the car. The only place you can buy a CPO car is thru a dealer that sells that make.

You can’t get a CPO Dodge from a GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealer. It’s just a used car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I prefer CPO cars.
My Silverado and wife’s Suburban were purchased as CPO, sight unseen.

Very happy my with the vehicles, condition and especially warranty coverage.

Dood, CPO programs are thru the manufacturer of the car. The only place you can buy a CPO car is thru a dealer that sells that make.

You can’t get a CPO Dodge from a GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealer. It’s just a used car.

But once the car is CPO, it is CPO, correct? That warranty lives with the car. As in if I buy a CPO car from a private person, my understanding is that the CPO warranty is still valid.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
But once the car is CPO, it is CPO, correct? That warranty lives with the car. As in if I buy a CPO car from a private person, my understanding is that the CPO warranty is still valid.

It depends on if the transfer fee was paid, and also how many times it’s changed hands. Some carmakers will only allow it to be transferred once.

There’s hoops that must be jumped thru.

But generally speaking, you aren’t going to find factory CPO Rams at Chevy dealerships.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It depends on if the transfer fee was paid, and also how many times it’s changed hands. Some carmakers will only allow it to be transferred once.

There’s hoops that must be jumped thru.

But generally speaking, you aren’t going to find factory CPO Rams at Chevy dealerships.

Agreed.

2Driver

Reaction score
I didn’t see the year or mileage, but with all the ways to check service history today if it still has manufactures warranty I couldn’t see paying extra for CPO, unless you just want the so called peace of mind.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Lemme help clear a few things up here, speaking as someone who spent forty years working at car dealerships...

First off, anyone can call a used car a CPO car. It's an title. On it's own, it means nothing.

Real CPO programs are run by the vehicle manufacturer. They will offer a manufacturer backed extended warranty. Inspections will be performed by manufacturer specific trained techs. The cars offered up for sale by the CPO program will be in almost identical to new condition. No paint work. No body work. No aftermarket pieces installed. They will normally be lease returns. Well cared for and with all the service records intact.

Long story short, a GM dealer CANNOT certify a Dodge.

Now with all that being said......

All of the above depends on the used car manager for the dealership. Some dealers (with shady used car managers) I worked for would want cars certified that were NOT certifiable cars.

I'd get the car and the inspection sheet from the dispatcher. I'd inspect the car completely, and turn it back in with the appropriate boxes checked off. Next thing I know, the used car manager is in my face telling me he needs this car certified!!! I'm like...noooooooooo...this car has had body work done (or whatever was the problem) and I'm not going to sign off (my signature had to go on the certification sheet) on this car.

Blah blah blah, you asshole, fuck you, blah blah blah blah. And he would walk away all pissed off.

Next thing I know, the car would be on the front line being sold as a certified car!!! lol The dickhead would fill out a new sheet, and have it signed by somebody else. :rolleyes:

So, here is the thing...

A CPO car done right is the best possible used car you can buy. I've worked for a number of different manufactures. They all do their best to give you the best possible product. The people at Some dealerships?? Yeah, not so much.

P.S. The first time I Ever heard of a CPO program was when I worked for Lexus. Those cars had to be PERFECT, or they were not going to be certified. Toyota adapted the program a year or so later, and then everyone else followed suit after that. Pretty sure it was a decade or two later until the american car manufactures came up with their own version of a CPO program.

I would venture to guess the CPO inspection sheet for a GM used car looks nothing (not nearly as comprehensive) like the CPO inspection sheet for a Lexus. :rolleyes:

@BHC Vic If you are going to buy a CPO car, ask to see all the inspections sheets, signed by the tech. If they balk about that, or say some shit like we need time to dig it up (forge a bogus one), then take your hard earned dollars elsewhere.

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
Just bought a CPO Chevy Cruze RS for the girlfriend’s son. At the end of the deal they handed us one key and said they would “look” for the second. I told them I needed a due bill for the second remote key because the CPO car has to come as it did new from the factory. They balked and I told them to unwind the deal. They came up with a due bill. Also have a CPO Jag. We get a new Range Rover every time its in for service or repair. Required maintenance is covered for 30,000 miles from delivery to us.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Hey Vic, (or any other RDP member looking to buy) Another option to consider would be to see if maybe Dutton of Riverside has anything of interest to you and if so call, text or PM @DuttonDave as Dave is one of RDP newest advertiser that offers really good specialized prices for RDP members for Buick, GMC & Cadillac... In my driveway sits a 2020 (lifted from Dutton) GMC Denali 2500HD and without Dave's help on cost offered, we probably wouldn't have brought this exact one home back in May.;) http://www.duttonmotorcompany.com/

15f35cb5d9dd70.gif

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
CPO is merely a steeping stone to get warranty rights, it allows you to purchase an extended FACTORY warranty on a used vehicle to give you some piece of mind like a new vehicle warranty.

It's mostly a dog and pony show to get you to step up. Certified does not mean jack shit except they put a stamp on it.

I cannot even list how many times I have been to inspect a vehicle for a client or a friend that has obvious body work, lack of maintenance issues and leaks.

There are a huge majority of the vehicles that are fit enough and are not Monday or Friday cars to allow them to roll the dice as each dealer see's fit, why you see several good replies as well as the bad ones.

Nothing will ever replace an inspection done by a 3rd party invested in your protection, because that is what you pay for, an unbiased opinion of the state of the vehicle.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Former GM car salesman, Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac. The programs for Cadillac/Buick were a little different than the rest, but here is some truth, and Jason will be able to confirm what is still applicable. GM Certified Pre Owned has criteria under which a vehicle can be certified, vehicles could be ineligible for certain damage, if it was lowered (no bullshit), and several other reasons. They were usually higher quality inventory in my experience. Next thing, certifying the vehicle costs money, the dealer has to pay GM 1k or more, back then it was a grand, to get the certification, they put that in the cost. What that gave the customer though, was an extension of the factory warranty, not a protection plan/extended warranty. An extension of the factory warranty, big difference. Second, and most critical to the end customer, there were much better rates available for financing and the factory had programs, like how you get 0% on new sometimes, that would lower the rates. When the commercial A tier rate on a used pickup was 5.9% for 60 months, the CPO rate was 3.9% through GM financing. Better than commercial or credit union rates. These are the reasons I recommend purchasing CPO's, not for the guarantee it will be a trouble free car, but for the filter to know a qualified tech like Rivermobster has had an intro look, the factory warranty has been extended, and the rates on financing will save me on the monthly payment.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Former GM car salesman, Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac. The programs for Cadillac/Buick were a little different than the rest, but here is some truth, and Jason will be able to confirm what is still applicable. GM Certified Pre Owned has criteria under which a vehicle can be certified, vehicles could be ineligible for certain damage, if it was lowered (no bullshit), and several other reasons. They were usually higher quality inventory in my experience. Next thing, certifying the vehicle costs money, the dealer has to pay GM 1k or more, back then it was a grand, to get the certification, they put that in the cost. What that gave the customer though, was an extension of the factory warranty, not a protection plan/extended warranty. An extension of the factory warranty, big difference. Second, and most critical to the end customer, there were much better rates available for financing and the factory had programs, like how you get 0% on new sometimes, that would lower the rates. When the commercial A tier rate on a used pickup was 5.9% for 60 months, the CPO rate was 3.9% through GM financing. Better than commercial or credit union rates. These are the reasons I recommend purchasing CPO's, not for the guarantee it will be a trouble free car, but for the filter to know a qualified tech like Rivermobster has had an intro look, the factory warranty has been extended, and the rates on financing will save me on the monthly payment.

Being in service, I never considered the financing options...

A more expensive CPO could actually cost less in the long run?

Toyota/Lexus normally extends the factory warranty out to 100k mi and up to 6 years on their CPO cars. Plus they extend the paid factory maintenance.

Definitely a much better deal than buying new!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Cadillac was 6 yr 100k, so saving a few grand on warranty right there, and again, factory warranty, not a protection plan, much better, and at times rates were as low as 1.9% when the best commercial rate would be 5.9%, so even if selling price was 5k higher, on an expensive ride, what you saved in interest alone, your monthly payment would be lower than the other option. Again, you have to run the numbers, but these are the advantages to consider when seeing it the deal is right for you.

Best CPO deal ever, 52k sticker new DTS, for some reason or other, we were able to buy it at auction with like 1k miles, 1 month of use. Now warranty is out to 6yr 100k, the rate is 4 points cheaper, and it was 10k cheaper than employee price even. Black on Black, every option, I am not a fwd guy, but that thing almost came home with me that day. I think one of us sold it within an hour of it hitting the line, everyone started hammering the phones.