WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

changes for F1 cars 2023

spectras only

Reaction score
These cars are getting way too technical for me, lol

Ps; 15 CM must be a typo. That is a huge gap between chassis and the track. Must be a 15mm change.

Last edited:

HST4ME

Reaction score
Meh.... woke ass garbage now, and watching those lumber wagons try to get around Mexico was frustrating as hell. 😅

Cdog

Reaction score
5.09 inches? Damn!!!

I’m thinking the process of the aero from under the car/suction has a different curve than top down aero.

I run 35/48 mm on my FE2. Could cut 2-3 mm off on a smooth surface. Buttonwillow is bumpy

HST4ME

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is narrowing the end of the floor 15 cm, then a new reg on floor height. Scarbs had some blurb on it I was watching when I was trying to fall asleep.

sirbob

Reaction score
Technical !!!!

How can you possibly know / follow all those rules?

HST4ME

Reaction score
Rules rules rules and nauseam....

Cdog

Reaction score
All of these are so technical in nature you'd have to be on a team to fully understand their affects. The ride height is a affect of Merc crying about their bad design and extreme porpoising. There was a mid season rule change to increase the minimum height because of the cry babies. Now they're all stuck with the higher ride height.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I agree. Merc couldn’t figure out their porpoising issue so they got the regs changed to suit them. I’d be PISSED if I were another team. I get the wanting to see better racing, but so many rules just stifles design. Jackie Stewerd was asked how to make the racing better.... is answer was simple. Allow bigger tires, and cut down the size and complexity of the front and rear wing, then allow them to do whatever on the underside of the car. This is basically whet they did for modern sports cars racing. It allows nose to tail running and lots of passing.

ps. Allow a bigger engine to make 1000 hp and ditch the hybrid BS. Would save a fortune for every team.

rrrr

Reaction score
All of these are so technical in nature you'd have to be on a team to fully understand their affects. The ride height is a affect of Merc crying about their bad design and extreme porpoising. There was a mid season rule change to increase the minimum height because of the cry babies. Now they're all stuck with the higher ride height.
As @Cdog knows, a 15 mm increase in ride height is huge. That's a bit more than 9/16". There has also been a rule change regarding the diffuser exit, which affects the amount of downforce generated by the car's undertray. These changes, made together without adequate track time to explore their effects, might make the 2023 car a bit of a guessing game.

Computational fluid dynamics, computer simulations, and the rolling floor wind tunnel will help determine which design changes are effective, but there is always a chance something will be missed. The porpoising that was a huge problem for the 2022 Mercedes car is a good example of this.

To illustrate the criticality of ride height decisions to set up the car in the garage or changes on the pit lane, consider this. In IndyCar, ride height changes are mage by adjusting the length of the spherical rod bearings on the end of suspension pushrods. The initial ride height is set in the garage, usually a value established by The Book, information produced during races and years prior to the current event.

The hexagonal face nuts on the pushrods have three pairs of flat surfaces. Two 1" wrenches are placed on the locknut and primary nut to break free the locking nut. The primary nut is then turned to increase or decrease the length of the pushrod.

Turning the primary nut in or out one sixth of a turn, or one flat surface, changes the ride height by just .040", or 1 mm. It is common to make that .040 adjustment on the pit lane during practice sessions, and its done after the driver reports on the handling characteristics of the car.

It's rare to adjust it more than three or four flats, and changes typically aren't made during a race. It's too time consuming, because bodywork has to be removed. In this photo you can see the double nuts of the rod end on the suspension pushrod that's connected to the damper rocker fulcrum.

1389976248.jpg

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
I thought most of the major changes were with the 2022 car ....I thought this year it was supposed to be minor changes... It took mercedes all season to figure it out.

Now RedBull will be at a disadvantage since they have reduced wind tunnel testing due to budget penalites...

In my head I just see a bunch of suits who don't race at F1 corp who come up with shit to ensure their employment...

sirbob

Reaction score
Let’s get back to the old days

Remember when Indy had turbines running with 4 and 8 cylinder cars?

Or how about when at Indy you could run a diesel with gas powered cars?

Or how about Can-Am racing where they said the car needs to be this high this wide and this long. From there, you decide how big an engine to put in it, turbo/nonturbo, etc..

Give the teams a box the car need to fit in and let them get creative about how to build the fastest cars

I miss those days…

wallnutz

Reaction score
Let’s get back to the old days

Remember when Indy had turbines running with 4 and 8 cylinder cars?

Or how about when at Indy you could run a diesel with gas powered cars?

Or how about Can-Am racing where they said the car needs to be this high this wide and this long. From there, you decide how big an engine to put in it, turbo/nonturbo, etc..

Give the teams a box the car need to fit in and let them get creative about how to build the fastest cars

I miss those days…
The great days of innovation and the introduction of the gray area part of the rule book. Miss those days of Indy and the stories from the old timers.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I miss the v-10's and fuck everything else.

rrrr

Reaction score
Lauda and Villeneuve running V 12s!

Fucking sheet metal, horse power and slicks!
IndyCar blows right now. The car's speed is drag limited, the engines are anemic at 750 HP, and the only passing on street and road courses is on pit stops and banzai outbraking that ends in a crash too often.

It's really bad on ovals. They need a car that has enough engine to make passes on track, and requires braking in the corners. Now they run flat out, and downshift to a 100 RPM higher gear off the corners, even at Indy.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
As @Cdog knows, a 15 mm increase in ride height is huge. That's a bit more than 9/16". There has also been a rule change regarding the diffuser exit, which affects the amount of downforce generated by the car's undertray. These changes, made together without adequate track time to explore their effects, might make the 2023 car a bit of a guessing game.

Computational fluid dynamics, computer simulations, and the rolling floor wind tunnel will help determine which design changes are effective, but there is always a chance something will be missed. The porpoising that was a huge problem for the 2022 Mercedes car is a good example of this.

To illustrate the criticality of ride height decisions to set up the car in the garage or changes on the pit lane, consider this. In IndyCar, ride height changes are mage by adjusting the length of the spherical rod bearings on the end of suspension pushrods. The initial ride height is set in the garage, usually a value established by The Book, information produced during races and years prior to the current event.

The hexagonal face nuts on the pushrods have three pairs of flat surfaces. Two 1" wrenches are placed on the locknut and primary nut to break free the locking nut. The primary nut is then turned to increase or decrease the length of the wishbone.

Turning the primary nut in or out one sixth of a turn, or one flat surface, changes the ride height by just .040", or 1 mm. It is common to make that .040 adjustment on the pit lane during practice sessions, and its done after the driver reports on the handling characteristics of the car.

It's rare to adjust it more than three or four flats, and changes typically aren't made during a race. It's too time consuming, because bodywork has to be removed. In this photo you can see the double nuts of the rod end on the suspension pushrod that's connected to the damper rocker fulcrum.

1389976248.jpg
Don't know your history but this post implies some true hands on??

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I worked in IndyCar for 10 years.
That explains it, lucky enough to have had one of those "I only wish" jobs!

Maybe one day our paths will cross and you can share some of your inside "scoop"

Thanks

rrrr

Reaction score
That explains it, lucky enough to have had one of those "I only wish" jobs!

Maybe one day our paths will cross and you can share some of your inside "scoop"

Thanks

I share stories on RDP sometimes, mostly funny stuff. In 1968, I was 11 when my Dad took me out of school the last week of the year, rented a Cessna 182, and we flew from Albuquerque to Indy for my first 500. He had known Bobby Unser since high school, and we got to see him win the race.

Never in my wildest dreams did I picture myself on the front straight at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, plugging a starter into a car I wrenched on, and waiting for the command to start engines. The seats from Turn 4 to Turn 1 hold about 165,000 people, and looking up felt like I was in a shoebox surrounded by that sea of humanity.

76sanger

Reaction score
Who cares, it's the most boring form of time trials (racing) there is.