WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

changing a/c compressor? do i need to change the accumulator?

bunkrepair

Reaction score
the gfs a/c has been messed up for like a year. I would do the cheap recharge things from autozone and it would work for a few weeks and then blow warm air again. I went to do this a few weeks ago and smelt a burning smell and looked down and the clutch assembly was glowing bright red and smelt horrible from the melt down happening. So I just bought a compressor and plan on installing it in the morning and having a mechanic from my work vac the system down and recharge it when im done. the lady at autozone said you really need to replace the accumulator but from what I read online the orifice tube is the most important part of this, am I incorrect?

thanks for any info

dancudmore

Reaction score
everyone has their opinion on this....as far as GM goes, we only replace accumulators if there is a problem with them. If the compressor grenaded and there was metal in the system yes...leaking and losing a clutch, prob not needed---although they are typically not very expensive.
Aftermarket AC kits they only offer a warranty if you replace both

bunkrepair

Reaction score
its not the money or anything like that mainly is a time issue I have time to do it tonight and tomorrow morning and I know im gonna be super busy the next few weeks and I have everything but the accumulator and that is like a week away so I am just trying to figure if im f'n myself by not doing it or what

mobboss

Reaction score
ok well think of it this way! the accumulator is like a filter and it has been collecting crap from the time you bought that vehicle, so yah you should change it out. dont for get the oil also!.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I always changed the accumulators when putting a new compressor on. Also I'd make sure to find where that leak is or else you'll be doing this job twice.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
I always changed the accumulators when putting a new compressor on. Also I'd make sure to find where that leak is or else you'll be doing this job twice.

If the clutch is that bad I'd assume the compressor. I've changed a few with doing just compressor and been fine, usually do acc/dryer since its not that much or that hard. Make sure you vac system and you should be good.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If the clutch is that bad I'd assume the compressor. I've changed a few with doing just compressor and been fine, usually do acc/dryer since its not that much or that hard. Make sure you vac system and you should be good.

Still wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect all the connections and hoses for any leaks. If its leaking that bad it should be easy to spot.

Reaction score
deffinatly change the orfice tube if the compressor went bad the orfice tub can get cloged, i always change out the accumulator on all our big haul trucks when we replace the compressor. not a must just a preference .

Reaction score
Still wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect all the connections and hoses for any leaks. If its leaking that bad it should be easy to spot.

should be able to tell if its leaking when you put a vac on the system. easy way to find leak with dye and a black light :skull

bunkrepair

Reaction score
Check this fir updates in the morning we will see if I have any problems or find the leak

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
should be able to tell if its leaking when you put a vac on the system. easy way to find leak with dye and a black light :skull

Yes. But like I said. If its leaking that bad he should see oil around it somewhere. Fix it now before the vacuum check and everything else.

77charger

Reaction score
My chevy work trucks compressor just went out and they changed the accumulator on it too.It has 312k miles when it went out.