WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Channel Islands today.

Tank

Reaction score
Jumped on buddies 40’ Meridian and headed to Santa Cruz around noon. Weather called for high 60’s sun was supposed to break through around 2. Swell was 1.5 foot at 15 seconds (basically flat if you don’t know) and wind was under 5mph until 4 at which time it was supposed to jump up to 10 mph.
We headed straight out of Channel Islands and headed fro Santa Cruz. Buddy had never been on the front side of Santa Cruz so we headed for potato harbor. Super calm. One other little skiff. Lots of hiker way up on the hill. Some friends went out and paddle boarded. Awesome day.
I can’t say it enough. I’ve been to these islands all my life and every time I get out there it’s like a different planet. You feel so lucky to be able to be in such a place that’s rarely touched by humans. It’s crazy.

In a couple months we’re gonna take the cigarette out and buddy will take the meridian and we have a couple more people gonna stay for Friday night through Saturday. 👍

ocean votings on a different level and is the a major reason I own a big heavy vee ocean boat. Where we live, you gotta take advantage of these islands and the ocean.

EF38060A-54AA-4840-964F-8E08EFF2724A.jpeg
AC81F775-EF90-4308-B756-A946503FD84F.jpeg
834F27DC-AF22-4F63-A3FE-E982CE8497C5.jpeg
3D26DD0A-6E86-4DE9-A293-FB68BE103972.jpeg
4A38EF9E-0DC9-41FF-96F0-59A16049EFE0.jpeg
6C22F14D-2BCB-425B-BDE4-6EA15D3D1D23.jpeg
A6E6C045-5DC1-4372-8D48-C5176F2544DB.jpeg
D6ADB3B8-7F7F-4680-8CC3-490FFBAB5D66.jpeg

T frog

Reaction score
Always like the posts about your area, I was a Seabee stationed at Port Hueneme. Brings back some good memories.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Jumped on buddies 40’ Meridian and headed to Santa Cruz around noon. Weather called for high 60’s sun was supposed to break through around 2. Swell was 1.5 foot at 15 seconds (basically flat if you don’t know) and wind was under 5mph until 4 at which time it was supposed to jump up to 10 mph.
We headed straight out of Channel Islands and headed fro Santa Cruz. Buddy had never been on the front side of Santa Cruz so we headed for potato harbor. Super calm. One other little skiff. Lots of hiker way up on the hill. Some friends went out and paddle boarded. Awesome day.
I can’t say it enough. I’ve been to these islands all my life and every time I get out there it’s like a different planet. You feel so lucky to be able to be in such a place that’s rarely touched by humans. It’s crazy.

In a couple months we’re gonna take the cigarette out and buddy will take the meridian and we have a couple more people gonna stay for Friday night through Saturday. 👍

ocean votings on a different level and is the a major reason I own a big heavy vee ocean boat. Where we live, you gotta take advantage of these islands and the ocean.

View attachment 1035275 View attachment 1035276 View attachment 1035277 View attachment 1035278 View attachment 1035279 View attachment 1035280 View attachment 1035281 View attachment 1035282
Posts like this really make me want to get the Grady up and running again. Great looking day.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Looks rad Tank! Fond memories of that place a long time ago, we used to go on surf trips there.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Nothing like a night at the island for stars and silence.

gqchris

Reaction score
I’m at the Drs office now but will be heading to the Rudder Room when done.
Hows your ticker doing sir? Any word on whats going on? Hoping you feel better.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hows your ticker doing sir? Any word on whats going on? Hoping you feel better.

I was led to believe the heart monitor would be a jumper cable clamped to the head of my Jon Thomas, then clamped to and grounded out through a small bear trap clamped to my sac.
Turned out instead it was a 5 minute office visit with a nurse for a wifi monitor patch. Wear it for 2 weeks and mail it back to UCLA.
Thanks for asking.
Home_XT2.png

Tank

Reaction score
@Tank When you bringing the Cigarette back?
Hoping soon. AJ is wrapping some stuff up on it. Dying to get it back here and run to the islands and up to Santa Barbara for lunch and what not. Looks like Taylor and AJ are buying a center console cig hopefully so they want to do an over nighter run to Catalina and Brett and Justy really want to do a weekend at Santa Cruz. Get a few boats, anchor up and party all weekend out there. 😁👍

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Hoping soon. AJ is wrapping some stuff up on it. Dying to get it back here and run to the islands and up to Santa Barbara for lunch and what not. Looks like Taylor and AJ are buying a center console cig hopefully so they want to do an over nighter run to Catalina and Brett and Justy really want to do a weekend at Santa Cruz. Get a few boats, anchor up and party all weekend out there. 😁👍
1628529454829.png

Tank

Reaction score
Those islands are beautiful, used to scuba dive there years ago
Visibility was easily over 25’. We were anchored about 25’ of water and I could see the sandy bottom. Beautiful snorkeling and diving out there. When we get our boat back from havasu gonna take some buddies out diving.

Tank

Reaction score
When I was at Station Channel Islands with the Boating Safety Detachment, we ran our Spectra 20' out to Anancapa. Bitchen trip at 45 MPH.

it’s not a bad run. My neighbor has a 17’ whaler they run to Santa Cruz to surf all
The time. We saw a lot of small skiffs yesterday cruising around. 14 miles to the tip of Anacapa. Another 12 or so to smugglers cove (tip of Santa Cruz). Cruise over at 60 and your there in 25 minutes. 😁👍

Tank

Reaction score
Great pics and looks like an awesome time!

Do they realize if they got rid of that Sony Wega TV they'd probably get another 5 mph out of the boat? 🤣

View attachment 1035551

funny you say that. They’regonna take it out and make it a little bar area. There’s an ice maker just out of view right there already so, bar would be a good fit.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Enjoyed the pics. Something I have always wanted to accomplish.

We have had the boat to Channel Islands Harbor 2x now. We really like The Boat Yard and Erith at AAA Marine in Ventura. We have ZF Transmissions in our Glacier Bay and Erith is well sorted on those. Sold us a new one and pulled the port engine and installed it. We feel the 105 mile run is worth it.

When we go to leave we promise to stay a few days and tour the islands but that doesn't seem to work out. So we know The Boatyard and the trip to AAA in ventura well and the surrounding area by car. On the water the Gal at the fuel dock is super cool and thats about it. Stupid not to spend time there.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I’m at the Drs office now but will be heading to the Rudder Room when done.
If you're still there look to just right of bar where all the pics are posted... if you see three sisters in Christmas bikinis out by volleyball net thats gal I dated during that period. She turned me onto Rudder room... the oldest sister was a staple there. Good Michigan girls.... great dive bar in Tanks hood.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Brings back some pretty good memories. I'm looking at a 292 SR1 just so I can go ocean running again. It's a bit of a haul from here but worth it for a few days up and down the coast and maybe Catalina.

137-3721_IMG.JPG
137-3722_IMG.JPG
137-3738_IMG.JPG

Tank

Reaction score

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Brings back some pretty good memories. I'm looking at a 292 SR1 just so I can go ocean running again. It's a bit of a haul from here but worth it for a few days up and down the coast and maybe Catalina.

View attachment 1036267 View attachment 1036268 View attachment 1036269
I feel ya..... I'm taking a break to rest my spine after 5 years offshore on a 29' Magic Wizard. I'll be in the 35' range next cause I need reduced pounding the orthopedic surgeon tells me, lol. Once water calms in winter I'll be begging Tank for a ride and see what a difference more feet makes in ride experience.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 1036267 View attachment 1036268 View attachment 1036269
This things hanging down here waiting for a victim.... I'm tempted cause of cheap dollar but my advisors say these motors might be an issue amongst other things.... two things going against me pouncing; Surgeons advisement to lose weight and get spine healthier a few years and I'm not wild about buying a boat that needs lotsa work. This is correct size range for me next.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
This things hanging down here waiting for a victim.... I'm tempted cause of cheap dollar but my advisors say these motors might be an issue amongst other things.... two things going against me pouncing; Surgeons advisement to lose weight and get spine healthier a few years and I'm not wild about buying a boat that needs lotsa work. This is correct size range for me next.

The ad doesn't say, who built the motors? How many hours on them? Why would they be an issue? Konrads are good strong drives.

That's an incentive to lose weight! :p 👍

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
We sure need more speed boats outta Newport.... I got all tingly just watching a 32' Kachina head out Sunday. Sounds never get old.

I've run out of Newport a few times but mostly Channel Islands and then when I moved south, Dana. A bunch of us would make pretty regular lunch runs to Newport though. The Cannery or Blue Water Grill mostly.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The ad doesn't say, who built the motors? How many hours on them? Why would they be an issue? Konrads are good strong drives.

That's an incentive to lose weight! :p 👍
Hate to name drop but I doubt he'd mind. Tankster seems to be a nice source for Cig data & histories on a lot of these floating around the market and I sent him pics just outta curiousity. He simply mentioned these particular blown motors might scare some folks away. I'm not a serious buyer for a couple years regardless.

And I have a few people nudging me to drop the Covid Fifty, lol..... thankfully they're doing it with love.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've run out of Newport a few times but mostly Channel Islands and then when I moved south, Dana. A bunch of us would make pretty regular lunch runs to Newport though. The Cannery or Blue Water Grill mostly.
Great spots.... me as well.... i even joined The Elks Lodge simply for the guest slip over by Lido Village. Man those are some aging drunk gals at Elks.... quite the fun shit show.

Tank

Reaction score
Hate to name drop but I doubt he'd mind. Tankster seems to be a nice source for Cig data & histories on a lot of these floating around the market and I sent him pics just outta curiousity. He simply mentioned these particular blown motors might scare some folks away. I'm not a serious buyer for a couple years regardless.

And I have a few people nudging me to drop the Covid Fifty, lol..... thankfully they're doing it with love.
I knew that boat many years ago when kurt owned it and it was fairly pristine. Appears to need some TLC now and yeah, big blower motors narrow your buyer market. 😉

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
That’s pretty Bitchen 😎 did you drop any bait and bbq 😎👍

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score

Yeah, Tank does have a lot of Cig knowledge. I've known him for close to 20 years now and we're Baja and Cig "brothers" :D 👍 (both of us have owned both brands).

Big power blower motors tend to scare a lot of people as they think (and maybe rightfully so) that they require more maintenance and are less reliable.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yeah, Tank does have a lot of Cig knowledge. I've known him for close to 20 years now and we're Baja and Cig "brothers" :D 👍 (both of us have owned both brands).

Big power blower motors tend to scare a lot of people as they think (and maybe rightfully so) that they require more maintenance and are less reliable.
Sounds terrifying lol..... I'd have to put fresh 496 HOs in there just to sleep at night. So you can see I'm not ready for Cig Time just yet. Honestly I may never be cause anything over fifty just scares me on ocean, at least in my 30'..... speeds never been my thing .... I boat to get naked in ocean horsing around with nature, dolphin & whale stuff. Not sure if I'll be a Cig candidate but they sure are sexy beasts. A proper Cig owner always tells me how fast he can get to Avalon while I'm thinking what about having everyone get naked in the channel, play some Marley and chill, lol. See what I mean.