WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Charcoal..Covid killed Specials/Sales?

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I use to buy twice a year, first was Memorial Day weekend and then Labor Day. It would always go on sale for 9.99 for a twin pack of Kingsford at HD/Lowes. Then 2020 happened and poof the sales were gone so I thought well maybe they'll come back in 2021. NOPE! I contacted Kingsford to inquire as to why and they said it's up to the retailer, they don't have anything to do with it going on sale. Reached out to HD, haven't heard back from them. I always had about 300# on hand for my smoker and kettles/Santa Maria grill. It didn't make sense to end it in 2020 as everyone was forced to stay home so it would have been needed even more, but to try and enter logic into anything covid related is pointless. Just seeing what others are doing to find it at a deal.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I was actually going to be looking for that exact sale this weekend myself....guess we'll see. But I'm out so I'll have no choice

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I just noticed that they are not #20 lbs bags anymore and I think they are #16 lbs now.....

Any case I just use the red lump coal stuff. Better anyways I think..

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I just noticed that they are not #20 lbs bags anymore and I think they are #16 lbs now.....

They were 20# forever then they went to 18.6 and were 19.99 for a twin pack then they came out with a "new size" BS and went back to 20# to increase the price. It's on "sale" for 17.88

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I like the Diablo brand 👌

I will occasionally throw a few Kingsford pucks in if I am doing a long slow burn where I have the coals started at one end and they burn down the line. The consistent burn of kingsfords helps to keep everything going with the inconsistent size and shape of lumps.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I like the Diablo brand 👌

I will occasionally throw a few Kingsford pucks in if I am doing a long slow burn where I have the coals started at one end and they burn down the line. The consistent burn of kingsfords helps to keep everything going with the inconsistent size and shape of lumps.
I have some Cowboy lump briquettes right now they burn hot and I can close the vents when done cooking and save them for the next time.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I have some Cowboy lump briquettes right now they burn hot and I can close the vents when done cooking and save them for the next time.

I've used cowboy as well 👍 I always end up saving at least half the load and they are good for the next cook. You definitely don't burn through the lump charcoal like briquettes. Also they make way less ash. 👍👍

I always feel the bottom of the bag to make sure I don't buy half a load of unusable powder.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I have been buying the Kingsford professional now that I'm basically just cooking for myself Costco has it on sale around the holidays so I'll be looking this week for some more.

I used to do the holiday stock up on Kingsford blue 10 bucks for two bags it's hard to beat.

sintax

Reaction score
Home Depot was running a sale on (2) 20# bags of KamadoJoe lump for $42 shipped. I don’t know if it’s still going on.

Once you make the switch to lump you won’t go back to pressed briquettes

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I use to buy twice a year, first was Memorial Day weekend and then Labor Day. It would always go on sale for 9.99 for a twin pack of Kingsford at HD/Lowes. Then 2020 happened and poof the sales were gone so I thought well maybe they'll come back in 2021. NOPE! I contacted Kingsford to inquire as to why and they said it's up to the retailer, they don't have anything to do with it going on sale. Reached out to HD, haven't heard back from them. I always had about 300# on hand for my smoker and kettles/Santa Maria grill. It didn't make sense to end it in 2020 as everyone was forced to stay home so it would have been needed even more, but to try and enter logic into anything covid related is pointless. Just seeing what others are doing to find it at a deal.

If you're a Costco member, they are selling a two-pack of 20 pound bags for $16 bucks right now. This is the Kingsford Professional briquets. None of that matchlight crap.

Limit is (3) 2-packs. I bought two today, I figure I'll buy 2-3 more and be set for the rest of summer and fall.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Home Depot was running a sale on (2) 20# bags of KamadoJoe lump for $42 shipped. I don’t know if it’s still going on.

Once you make the switch to lump you won’t go back to pressed briquettes
although I agree the lump is somewhat better, the couple times I used it in the wsm the temps were a little harder to control and it burned out of fuel much faster than the kingsford on the long smokes.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
If you're a Costco member, they are selling a two-pack of 20 pound bags for $16 bucks right now. This is the Kingsford Professional briquets. None of that matchlight crap.

Limit is (3) 2-packs. I bought two today, I figure I'll buy 2-3 more and be set for the rest of summer and fall.
I have been getting some from Costco I wouldn't use matchlight if you held a gun to my head.

DWC

Reaction score
Had some pulled pork and tritip cooked with this. Made me want to pick up a Weber kettle.
5EC21322-BC48-400B-A074-A12B0548AB20.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score

sintax

Reaction score
although I agree the lump is somewhat better, the couple times I used it in the wsm the temps were a little harder to control and it burned out of fuel much faster than the kingsford on the long smokes.

thats super odd. I've always found the opposite to be the case, on every account.

In my case, and it might just be my cookers (PK Grill and Big Green Egg), but the lump is MUCH more dense and burns quite a bit longer than the pressed briquettes. I've found that I can get the briquettes stupid hot w/ the chimney, but i'm lucky to get 30 - 40 min at that temp, where as with the lump I could almost get double.

I can sometimes re-use the briquettes, but I can always reuse my lump it seems, and when it comes to long smokes, I've done a 14 hr smoke on my kamado on one load of lump, and prob had a 1/4 left

Markus

Reaction score
Lump burns hotter and longer because it is just charcoal.

Briquettes are charcoal mixed with limestone (so that they turn white quickly), glued together with some filler. Hence all the ash.