WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chebby dealership tech...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Need some help with a half ton truck. If you're on here, please let me know.

2014 5.3

Thanks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A miss? Mystery clatter?
A lifter that looks like this?
20220426_152540.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Electrical problem. Totally intermittent...

Truck quit running While Driving!!!

Went totally dead. Like someone had removed the battery.

I was on a video call with the driver, had him pull the cover off the positive terminal, and right when he did that, Everything came back on.

Strange.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The fuse box under hood can have issues. Where the sub harnesses go into the bottom, those plugs get a little loose. Another thing, if aftermarket crap was added to battery bolt, or loose. Stick a wrench on it and make sure it's snug. The cables have 4 "teeth" that bite the terminal.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The fuse box under hood can have issues. Where the sub harnesses go into the bottom, those plugs get a little loose. Another thing, if aftermarket crap was added to battery bolt, or loose. Stick a wrench on it and make sure it's snug. The cables have 4 "teeth" that bite the terminal.

That's what I'm thinking too. When I worked for Ford, I absolutely hated how difficult their connectors were to get apart! Guess there is a good reason for that.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Electrical problem. Totally intermittent...

Truck quit running While Driving!!!

Went totally dead. Like someone had removed the battery.

I was on a video call with the driver, had him pull the cover off the positive terminal, and right when he did that, Everything came back on.

Strange.
Why is it strange? That's a textbook failed connection at the battery terminal.

There was a period of time when GM failed to strip the insulation off the cables before attaching them to the battery terminal....I've only seen in on the G Vans though. Fix the battery connection.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Why is it strange? That's a textbook failed connection at the battery terminal.

There was a period of time when GM failed to strip the insulation off the cables before attaching them to the battery terminal....I've only seen in on the G Vans though. Fix the battery connection.

Fuck, that's awesome. Everything seemed solid at the battery terminals? But what you're saying makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
I would also say look at the battery cables especially if someone recently installed a battery, may have left one cable loose .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would also say look at the battery cables especially if someone recently installed a battery, may have left one cable loose .

Here is the thing...

Even if that was the case, the engine would still run. Why? Cause the alternator is still supplying power.

All the cables are secure.

What Kevin is saying makes the most sense. It almost has to be a main power connector to kill the whole truck like that. Although anything is possible I suppose.

I know there is at least one GM tech on here, but I can't remember who it is!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Look for the positive cable connector mounted on the battery (like 3 or 4 wires/battery cables), open the cover and check for a loose nut that is supposed to secure the lead down to the terminal block. I've seen it before.

2014-5-3.jpg

Or like ibzsbz said it could possibly be a failed terminal/connection right at the battery.

Or a shorting battery internally, rare, but it does happen.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Here is the thing...

Even if that was the case, the engine would still run. Why? Cause the alternator is still supplying power.

All the cables are secure.

What Kevin is saying makes the most sense. It almost has to be a main power connector to kill the whole truck like that. Although anything is possible I suppose.

I know there is at least one GM tech on here, but I can't remember who it is!

No, it won't stay running if the circuit is not complete.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Is this a late model car thing?? I never tried it working at the dealership. Always worked on non computer controlled cars.

The main relay will go open if current is interrupted..vehicle dies.

Yea don't ever do it on a computer controlled vehicle...unless you feel like replacing all the control modules after they fry...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The main relay will go open if current is interrupted..vehicle dies.

Yea don't ever do it on a computer controlled vehicle...unless you feel like replacing all the control modules after they fry...

That's why I never tried it!!! Definitely a bad idea on Any vehicle, even the older ones.

Makes sense with a main power relay in play though. 👍🏼

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking he could maybe take it to a boat shop up there, and have them install brass lugs on the cables and marine terminals on the battery for starters?

No dealership will have the tools to make battery cables from scratch!

Maybe a high end stereo shop??

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hold this thought for the future:
Pete/Dunefreak on Dumont Dune Riders has been a big help.
Seen it all - done it all with GM trucks and gladly gives advise.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hold this thought for the future:
Pete/Dunefreak on Dumont Dune Riders has been a big help.
Seen it all - done it all with GM trucks and gladly gives advise.

Send him the link to this thread!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Yeah, check the connections shown in that pic of post #26. I’ve had a brass nut come loose on my 2014 Sierra. Electrical issues ensued until I traced it to a loose cable in that location.

blownbullet

Reaction score
Did the whole car go dead or just the inside? did the brake lights work or the headlights work when it died? don’t forget about the ignition switch that gets turned every time he starts the truck, just another thought. Good luck 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Did the whole car go dead or just the inside? did the brake lights work or the headlights work when it died? don’t forget about the ignition switch that gets turned every time he starts the truck, just another thought. Good luck 👍

The whole truck was dead.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
The whole truck was dead.
Now that he said that, it may have been the ignition switch in truck. It was same deal, he got stuck multiple times, last was middle of intersection in havasu Middle of summer, he had to push it solo out of the road. No one jumps out to help when it’s 120 out. Lmao!!
If I recall, he was told battery, replaced. Alternator, he replaced. Connections redone, it just kept happening

I’d call and ask him, but he‘s pouting and unfriended me because he’s a little bitch. lol 🤷‍♂️

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Now that he said that, it may have been the ignition switch in truck. It was same deal, he got stuck multiple times, last was middle of intersection in havasu Middle of summer, he had to push it solo out of the road. No one jumps out to help when it’s 120 out. Lmao!!
If I recall, he was told battery, replaced. Alternator, he replaced. Connections redone, it just kept happening

I’d call and ask him, but he‘s pouting and unfriended me because he’s a little bitch. lol 🤷‍♂️

Thanks Tim. Gonna figure this out somehow.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

I have to ask, are your sure about the ignition switch failure?

The electrical portion of the switches, since they don't actually handle any real current or load since around 2000's era, are really almost failproof.

The mechanical lock portions, on many vehicles sure, but the electrical switch, never.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

The electrical portion of the switches, since they don't actually handle any real current or load since around 2000's era, are really almost failproof.

The mechanical lock portions, on many vehicles sure, but the electrical switch, never.
Am I sure, nope, but I recall it being something silly.
if I recall the headlights etc worked. It just turned off truck intermittently when ever it felt like a bad time would be perfect now, as if ignition was turned off

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Since you seem to be familiar....question about ignition switch in a 2002 Silverado. I replaced the switch when my truck was recovered after the theft a few years ago....OEM unit from the dealer (I had it on the shelf for a year as I suspected it might be going intermitently open causing the trans to default to 2nd gear VERY intermittently...and it appears I might have been right), but now I'm running into a issue where it sticks in the start position sometimes, and doesn't return to "run". I can't remember if the "spring back" mechanism is in the switch itself or in the lock assembly....I'd like to get all the parts on hand before I tear into it.

Reaction score
Ignition switches in the 2000’s could have caused lost voltage problem to the transmission but newer vehicles it is a switched input to the BCM.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Since you seem to be familiar....question about ignition switch in a 2002 Silverado. I replaced the switch when my truck was recovered after the theft a few years ago....OEM unit from the dealer (I had it on the shelf for a year as I suspected it might be going intermitently open causing the trans to default to 2nd gear VERY intermittently...and it appears I might have been right), but now I'm running into a issue where it sticks in the start position sometimes, and doesn't return to "run". I can't remember if the "spring back" mechanism is in the switch itself or in the lock assembly....I'd like to get all the parts on hand before I tear into it.

The spring back is in the switch I believe.

I usually see friction issues in the mechanical part of the lock assembly however, not a failure of the spring back in the electrical portion of the switch.

blownbullet

Reaction score
I took a quick look at a wiring diagram for a 2014 Silverado pick up SBMECH is right the ignition switch only gives a signal to the body control module you need to check a look at the fuses in the battery fuse block in the engine compartment top right if all the fuses are good and the battery positive cable and ground are good the possibilities are going to be the body control module or the under hood fuse block as the ignition main relay is located inside of it it’s not serviceable separately or a connection somewhere You can PM me your email and I will send you a wiring diagram.

white tortilla

Reaction score
My 2015 did same thing a couple times. Traded it in but never figured it out