WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Check out the snowpack up there:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Screenshot 2019-05-01 13.30.15.png

Specifically South Eastern Utah

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Friend got snow in Layton UT yesterday. I'd be so over the white stuff by now....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wow...648% in SE Utah.

I wonder which areas specifically feed the Colorado river.

Looks like it might be all those areas?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm betting that 648 is a typo and is supposed to be 148. Still a lot of snow pack for this time of year.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Wow...648% in SE Utah.

I think that is a typo...

Everything east of that heavy black line feeds into the Colorado River at some point above Glenn Canyon Dam.

Edit... I see there is also another heavy black line over by the Rio Grande, the water east of there does not go into the Colorado.

Last edited:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Lake Powell info..

Five separate rivers, of varying sizes, feed into and form Lake Powell. These include the Colorado River from Colorado, the Green River from Wyoming, the San Juan River from New Mexico, the Escalante River and Dirty Devil River from Utah.

TCHB

Reaction score
Going to be cheap electricity coming out of that snow pack.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Everything east of that heavy black line feeds into the Colorado River at some point above Glenn Canyon Dam.

Edit... I see there is also another heavy black line over by the Rio Grande, the water east of there does not go into the Colorado.
Think you meant west.
Edit: my bad. Didn't notice the black line at west edge.
Nevermind, everything between those black lines feeds the Colorado.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
snow.01052019_cbrfc_.png

I think the big number is correct, yesterday it was over 400% and a system went through that area. That being said, I don't think that area contributes that much.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Could be, not a lot of high mountains in that area, so if they get another foot it would boost the percentage of snow pack. Still, that number seems a bit high.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
View attachment 750179
I think the big number is correct, yesterday it was over 400% and a system went through that area. That being said, I don't think that area contributes that much.
My buddy west of Denver said they’ve been getting 2 inch dusting and melts since Sunday.
Rain and more snow next week.
B59FE934-A4FD-4D84-A483-FF5EB057CD6E.png

I know everyone up there is tired of the snow but it’s going to be great and well needed in the Southwest.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So...that 681 is now over 800 if the first number was proper. YIKES!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Meanwhile california is imposing a 55 gallon daily limit per person. Water rates continue to climb and according to sacremento after one of the wettest winters in history we are still in a major draught.

Maybe if you held onto the water instead of letting it all roll out to sea.... California population has grown by over 6mm people but they have only added two reservoirs in that time. One of those was technically an expansion and they removed the san clemente dam during this time frame. I hate this state.

rivergames

Reaction score
I really hope the Burley Idaho race doesn't get canceled again this year :-(

JD D05

Reaction score
Dude....when you get stuck in deep powder like that what does it take to get moving again?
The help of 3 men and a boy? A skyhook?
Do you venture out into that stuff alone?
I love me some sled riding, but looks like you'd really have to be prepared to venture out into the step and the deep.

It is an art really. This is a two part deal... With an experienced good rider you can anticipate a stick coming and do a few different things to prevent a really bad stick. If you are on steep ground it really does not matter because you can almost always just roll the machine over downhill. Sometimes I will feel it coming and pin the throttle and jump hoping it get's back up on top. You also have the pin and wiggle and you just pin it and shake the machine back and forth until it grabs. You would not believe what my machine will come out of. If it is just stuck than we pack the snow that is directly in front of the machine up under the belly so it has less resistance and it grabs that hard pack a one man or 2 man ski pull goes a long way. I have learned all this from watching the best in the world ride and 98% of the time one of these methods work. We also have the best machines that are unreal in this stuff, if it does not we break out the shovels. This year I rode probably 25 times and I had to get my shovel out one time and man we were stuck. In the pictures above I was the only one that needed to do anything more than just get back on and go. It is the one holding the flag, I just finished rolling it over and off I went, it is half way rolled over right there. That day was insane deep.

I have been out alone 2 times and it is really not a smart idea. If I do I pick and choose my spots very carefully. We use avi bags, and have probes and shovels.

Here is an example of my buddy doing a small pin and wiggle

Here is an example of him sensing a stick and turning out. He only has a 155 track i have a 175...

Last edited:

Justfishing

Reaction score
Wow...648% in SE Utah.

Is the 648 correct?

The east edge of it is the continental divide. Follow all the rivers and it will tell you where the water is going.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Is the 648 correct?

The east edge of it is the continental divide. Follow all the rivers and it will tell you where the water is going.

I assume so as the same area is well over 800%.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Now its saying 2933....Ok. Whats the deal?

Lol

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
There are often errors introduced when a station goes offline here or there.

UD

That particular area has been consistent with the large numbers.

Hit the damn reset button or something.

Of course that place could maybe historically get inches and now its feet.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Id love it if powell were to fill back up.

I been seeing 200 %'s but don't linger on one data point long.

UD

milkmoney

Reaction score
Snowing in south Dakota this morning. I would of taken a pic , but I was trying to keep from sliding off the road and switching into 4 wheel drive....fuck me
May 8th.

[emoji39][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Id love it if powell were to fill back up.

I been seeing 200 %'s but don't linger on one data point long.

UD

It would take multiple years of above average snowpack to ever refill Powell, if it is even allowed to fill again. Mead would be first. There is to much demand for the water now, versus in the 70s and 80s after the damn was built.

2Driver

Reaction score
Just returned from southern UT about 30 minutes south of Blanding camping on Cedar Mesa. Every Mt you could see was white, even behind Blanding and Navajo Mt. From where we were camped you could see the high Rockies by Telluride and everything was 90% white.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just returned from southern UT about 30 minutes south of Blanding camping on Cedar Mesa. Every Mt you could see was white, even behind Blanding and Navajo Mt. From where we were camped you could see the high Rockies by Telluride and everything was 90% white.

You know the rule...

Letsride22

Reaction score
I live in UT...we had a huge year. The exploded belts on my snowmobile prove that ha. We are still getting pounded in the mountains. This is from yesterday...

View attachment 750174
Now was it the snow that caused the belt issues or the sled brand????? Lol, Just a little Ford Vs Chevy dig there. It truly was an epic year for sledding. Actually got to the point that we were burned out on it. I never thought that would happen.

JD D05

Reaction score
Now was it the snow that caused the belt issues or the sled brand????? Lol, Just a little Ford Vs Chevy dig there. It truly was an epic year for sledding. Actually got to the point that we were burned out on it. I never thought that would happen.

Ha! You caught me exaggerating...I rode 25 times or so last year and was about 15 rides in this year when I lost my first belt on my 850. I know some guys have terrible luck but we don't. Even my buddy DJ that runs Tracked Out and has a bunch of them has no belt issues.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So when do the Libtards start with their Global Cooling narrative? LOL.

It will be awesome to see the levels in Powell and Mead rise this year!!! Been a long time since either were up

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It would take multiple years of above average snowpack to ever refill Powell, if it is even allowed to fill again. Mead would be first. There is to much demand for the water now, versus in the 70s and 80s after the damn was built.

Thats the gist of it - between ever-increasing demand and unpredictable drought from whatever force you wish to blame- it will be very unlikely to reach that point.

This is why conservation is always prudent when possible.

also why the only long term solution is to pump the Mississippi across or funnel the mouth of the Columbia down south somehow.

UD

Pelon

Reaction score
As you can see from the report most of the snow is usually melted off by this time of year. One of the Snotel sites is still reporting 11.7 inches of snow-water equivalent!

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html?report=Upper+Colorado+River+Basin

SOUTH EASTERN UTAH
Buckboard Flat 8924 4.5 N/A * 29.6 N/A *
Camp Jackson 8858 5.9 0.0 * 31.6 19.8 160
East Willow Creek 8302 0.0 0.0 * 18.6 13.3 140
Lasal Mountain 9578 11.7 0.6 1950* 35.0 23.2 151
Lasal Mountain-Lower 8783 0.0 N/A * 25.1 N/A *
Lonesome Beaver 9410 0.9 N/A * 22.6 N/A *
Basin Index (%) 2933* 151