WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Check your Flappers

OC Mike

Reaction score
Hi guys. Going to do my PM this weekend and was reflecting on an issue I had last year.
Dropped the boat, wife goes and parks the truck, I go make High speed pass while she's walking around. (Yeh, I know.....)
Anyways, got a hot smell, noticed water pumping out of port exhaust bellows.
Return to dock ASAP, while idling waiting on the Jackwad to launch his boat, he's in the water, on the trailer but now decides to load his boat. Motor running rougher and rougher. Finally dies.
Lift hatch, water pouring in back of boat. I am sinking. He finally clears, but I'm dead and now have to ask him very politely and calmly to tow me back. He responds sarcastically, what's the matter, forget the plug? I really, REALLY wanted to unload on him, but I REALLY need his help as I'm going to go bow up pretty soon. Got it out, got it drained. So WTF happened??????????????
The port flapper had blown off. No problem running wide open. Somewhere on a decel, the lower exhaust pipe had filled, pressurizing the bellows and blowing it off the tail piece. Creating a 4" hole in the stern...... I have underwater exhaust.

Had spare flappers back at the garage. Got it cleaned up dried out, installed the flapper, reset the bellows. Check oil for water intrusion. all good. Enjoyed the rest of the weekend.

FYI, everything is double clamped, except the flappers. Not enough room for a second one. The flapper did not break off, it slipped off. Now I know what happened, I carry a spare. I can drop in the water and fix it.

By far, my scariest moment boating.....

What did I learn, check the flappers....................

Last edited:

OC Mike

Reaction score
Never heard of it. Makes too much sense though.
There's always something to learn.....

Last edited:

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Happened to me, cracked exhaust manifolds. And over heated the bellows and melted the flapper off. It almost sank my boat and overheated the engine because the cool fresh water ran through the exhaust manifolds first. Make sure you check everything out!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Thanks for the PSA.. I will double check mine

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
put a bead on the exhaust tips so the hose clamp has no possible way to slide off.

oldschool

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck putting flappers on angled tips?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Damn i was totally thinking a totally different set of flappers and got all excited to see the photos.....

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Thanks for the PSA.. I will double check mine
No worries buddy. Hate to hear that you sank your boat or blew up your motor if I hadn't spoken up. It was a really scary situation for me at the time.

Riley1

Reaction score
D9FF5870-56F4-4659-9340-A4310AF7F89D.jpeg
No flappers here. No mufflers either. Not my choice, I bought the boat used.

In the middle of waxing the transom 4 times hopeing that makes the spot easier to wipe off.

Not sure what problem I’d rather have. Soot on the transom or having to worry about my exhaust sinking my boat.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Got some of this at the local outboard store.
Acetone based, should clean up with acetone.
I've never been comfortable with the single clamp.
Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 95