WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Checking in from Florida

joker9r

Reaction score
Hows it going? I'm new to River Daves but not new to boating. I've owned a couple V-hulls and have always boated in the Midwest. I sold my last boat (Formula 272) and since moved to NE Florida where we have Lakes, Rivers, Intercoastal, and Offshore boating options!!!!!!!! I'm here on River Daves because I'm considering purchasing a Cat Deck... something along the lines of a Magic 28 Deck. In Florida, Cat Decks are nearly non-existent, at least I haven't seen one and have not found one online for sale. I'm hoping some of you on here will have some input regarding running this style of boat on intercoastal waterways and large rivers (St Johns River), I wouldn't think a 28' Cat Deck would fair well offshore. I know the majority of boaters here in Florida run center consoles with Outboards but I don't plan to fish, and cant see the need for a center console with hardly any seating!? I prefer I/O since that's what I'm used to having but maybe I'm missing something I'm just not aware of. Since most of the guys I know around here are not accustomed to cat performance I/O boats, I thought maybe some you folks could lend some insight. Thanks in advance! :beer

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey!! Welcome to RDP!!

I don't have much insight regarding your offshore question, but I'm sure that others will be along shortly with some suggestions. You might consider posting your question in The Lounge section, as that area typically sees a bit more traffic.

Happy Boating! :thumbup:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Welcome to the circus from the left coast [emoji106][emoji202][emoji2]

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm in South Florida and, you're right, there are definitely no deckboats out here, hell there's hardly any powerboats here anymore, its 99% center consoles. I haven't been to the St Johns River yet, but I'm planning to for the Toys for Tots run in December. But I would think a 28 Magic would be just fine on the river. Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any questions. When you get your boat, we should get together, not many of the west coast boats out east here.
-Tom

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hows it going? I'm new to River Daves but not new to boating. I've owned a couple V-hulls and have always boated in the Midwest. I sold my last boat (Formula 272) and since moved to NE Florida where we have Lakes, Rivers, Intercoastal, and Offshore boating options!!!!!!!! I'm here on River Daves because I'm considering purchasing a Cat Deck... something along the lines of a Magic 28 Deck. In Florida, Cat Decks are nearly non-existent, at least I haven't seen one and have not found one online for sale. I'm hoping some of you on here will have some input regarding running this style of boat on intercoastal waterways and large rivers (St Johns River), I wouldn't think a 28' Cat Deck would fair well offshore. I know the majority of boaters here in Florida run center consoles with Outboards but I don't plan to fish, and cant see the need for a center console with hardly any seating!? I prefer I/O since that's what I'm used to having but maybe I'm missing something I'm just not aware of. Since most of the guys I know around here are not accustomed to cat performance I/O boats, I thought maybe some you folks could lend some insight. Thanks in advance! :beer

Welcome to the board! I know what I'm going to say isn't going to be hugely popular, but I'd stay away from the Magics.. the quality was all over the board depending on which guy built them, then there's a bunch of them (several hundred) that were sold as bare hulls and rigged independantly etc.. I'd look at Nordic Decks first if you are going to run in the Ocean. They have the most free board, and deepest Tunnels of all the West Coast decks.

RD

Reactions: GMD

Wozencraft

Reaction score
Welcome to the board! I know what I'm going to say isn't going to be hugely popular, but I'd stay away from the Magics.. the quality was all over the board depending on which guy built them, then there's a bunch of them (several hundred) that were sold as bare hulls and rigged independently etc.. I'd look at Nordic Decks first if you are going to run in the Ocean. They have the most free board, and deepest Tunnels of all the West Coast decks.

RD

If you're up for twins, the E-Ticket aint a bad ride either!