WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chenowth Explorer Dual Sport Engine Opinions

1rvrryd

Reaction score
So we picked up a Chenowth Explorer 4 Seat Dual Sport in December with a tired, but running 1600 VW, 002 Trans. Need advice on the engine, here are the options I'm considering:

1- Rebuild 1600 to a 1776 and either A) jet the existing carb accordingly or B) add a Fitech EFI kit to it.
2- Sell 1600 as is, and look for a 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotec and adapter plate for the 002 Trans. This will also require adding a radiator and fan(s).

Thoughts? We will pimarily use the car around Parker/Havasu. With occasional trips back to Ocotillo or other Desert riding. I do not see trips to Glamis as we've never been.

I appreciate your feedback!

38766.jpeg
38774.jpeg
38767.jpeg
38769.jpeg
20181229_175406.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scott4878

Reaction score
Go with the ecotec I did it in 2011 and the car has been troubled free and easy for anyone to drive I install a supertrap exhaust but it was way too loud so ordered a custom size spintec muffler the major of the expense is the motor, adaptor/clutch and radiator see if you can find a package deal on Craigslist. The ecotec motor is almost indestructible I have tried to kill it for the past 8 years and haven't hurt it yet I change the oil and filter once a year and I just did an ECU upgrade, new spark plug and fuel filters for the first time since installed. I have 168HP at the rear wheels it's fine for hard pack but if I used the car in the sand I would add a turbo I used the 2.4 LE5 but do some research there's lots of different configurations supercharged direct inject etc. my installation was a tight fit so I couldn't use the direct inject or supercharged motors as they have items that protrude past the fly wheel end of the motor.

Old set up 2825 type 4
image.png
Ecotec
image.png
image.png

Don't use reverse push it out when you get stuck!
image.jpeg

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Sadly, as a huge old school VW guy, I’d also say go ecotech. Rebuilding a type 1 VW to get 150+ HP is way expensive. Mine is very reliable, but I do have to mess with the carbs once in a while. If I had it to do all over again, I would have researched an ecotech a little more.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have the 2.2l in my buggy and love it. Not the fastest thing but does pretty well in the hard pack and has plenty of low end for the hill climbs. It gets around descent in Glamis with paddles too and gets great mileage- usually burn less than 10 gallons on an average weekend in the desert. It’s been problem free since I have owned it. I would keep an eye open for a 2.4 they put out more power, they have better internal parts if you want to add a turbo or super charger down the road and are drive by wire.

I would make sure your gear box is set up correctly and would do all Weddle gears and you should have a problem free set up.

Look around on Craigslist, Glamis dunes, and race desert there is usually people selling complete kits for pretty cheap.

CBM is very knowledgeable and sell everything as well as AFI Fab.

http://www.custombuiltmotors.com/index-2d.html#eco

https://www.alphafabindustries.com/products/afi-2-4l-ecotec-off-road-engine-harness

Last edited:

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Go with the ecotec I did it in 2011 and the car has been troubled free and easy for anyone to drive I install a supertrap exhaust but it was way too loud so ordered a custom size spintec muffler the major of the expense is the motor, adaptor/clutch and radiator see if you can find a package deal on Craigslist. The ecotec motor is almost indestructible I have tried to kill it for the past 8 years and haven't hurt it yet I change the oil and filter once a year and I just did an ECU upgrade, new spark plug and fuel filters for the first time since installed. I have 168HP at the rear wheels it's fine for hard pack but if I used the car in the sand I would add a turbo I used the 2.4 LE5 but do some research there's lots of different configurations supercharged direct inject etc. my installation was a tight fit so I couldn't use the direct inject or supercharged motors as they have items that protrude past the fly wheel end of the motor.

Old set up 2825 type 4 View attachment 728427 Ecotec
View attachment 728434 View attachment 728433
Don't use reverse push it out when you get stuck! View attachment 728440
Awesome. Thanks for the info, how did you size your radiator, or what is recommended for the 2.4L?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk