WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chest feeezer in garage

Tbrownski

Reaction score
Im considering putting a chest freezer for ice in my havasu house garage and was wondering if it’s too hot in the summer. It’s a finished garage but don’t have any swamp cooler or a/c.

Does anybody have any problems running them in the heat?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I have a Sam’s Club one in my garage in Ft. Mohave, it’s always full and always frozen, no idea however what it costs me a month but it’s great to have.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Not a chest freezer but do have a stand up one in the finished garage. Been there for 4 years and never had a problem. We've had the chest freezers before but things tend to get lost in them in our opinion.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a 12 Cf upright in mine and I have no problems with it. Mine is full of food and I don't run ac all that often

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Why not a dedicated ice machine

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I know my kitchen fridge at the parker house almost died during the summer months b4 i started setting the a/c to 88 while we are gone..

Tbrownski

Reaction score

I’d love to put a nice one in but for 3-400 bucks I can get a freezer that will hopefully make it a couple years. That’s a lot of ice to make up the cost

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Dedicated chest freezers can take a beating. I wouldn't think twice.

rrrr

Reaction score

The problem with an ice machine is the poorly insulated bin, and that the ice is barely below 32 degrees. As soon as it drops from the grid, it's melting, and in a hot garage it's melting fast.

They also use a bunch of electricity, because the compressor and water pump are working almost 100% of the time. The efficiency of the unit sucks in a closed garage, as the temperature of the hot gas discharge from the compressor into the condenser skyrockets.

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Dedicated chest freezers can take a beating. I wouldn't think twice.

But well worth the cost. :D

Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 10.43.07 PM - Edited.png

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Im considering putting a chest freezer for ice in my havasu house garage and was wondering if it’s too hot in the summer. It’s a finished garage but don’t have any swamp cooler or a/c.

Does anybody have any problems running them in the heat?

I was thinking of doing something similar, but I need to rearrange my garage a bit for space.

My plan is/was to get a small chest freezer that would store 3-5 20 lb bags of ice. I’d put it on a WiFi/smart plug. This would allow me to turn the freezer on remotely the day before to get it cold, and drop in my ice for the weekend when I got there.

Obviously if you wanted to keep ice between trips, just leave it on.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I bought the type you see outside in front of gas stations. It’s really efficient, stays around 19-22 degrees and I don’t think it uses very much electricity. I keep it in the Havasu garage with no swamp cooler or splits, works great
upload_2019-8-25_5-49-10.jpeg

milkmoney

Reaction score
Wish I had a ice maker in my fridge...[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
I have a small under counter ice maker makes up to 50lbs during winter when water temp is normal and we bag our ice and keep it in the freezer side of our garage sxs refer. I have a pre chiller for the water as its so hot during summer it takes forever to freeze from say 90/100 degrees.

Once bin is full or before bed I bag a couple 10lb bags of ice toss in the freezer and by morning the ice bin is full! It’s like magic!

Problem is I have like 80-100 lbs of ice in the freezer and it’s always in the way of the captain and Sky / Tito’s vodka..... I’m thinking I want an up right freezer!