WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chevy 4X problem / question

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Silverado 1500, that is equiped with shift on the fly four wheel. Well on Sunday the "Service 4WD" light came on, and I got it into a place for service yesterday. They changed the front and rear diff fluids, and the transfer case fluids. The rear fluid was getting pretty dark, the transfer case fluid was getting dark, and the front diff fluid was kind of greyish. When it was all finished, they could not get the "Service 4WD" light to reset, and none of the lights next to the "Auto," "2X," "4X HI," or the "4X LO" would come on. So I drive it home, and plan to call the dealer, but it is after 5 pm and the service department is closed. This morning I start up the truck, and the "2X" light is lit, but the "Service 4WD" is still on. So I head down to the gas station to get some gas, and figure I'll just put the vehicle in "4X HI" to lube up the front end, and the truck will not shift into four wheel drive, nor will any other of the 4X lights come on, nor will the "Service 4WD" light go out. Any suggestions?

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
Im thinking a silinoid (dont know how to spell it).

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem we have had (2x) with my wife's 05 Avalanche. Solenoid/sensor problem

oldschool

Reaction score
Im thinking a silinoid (dont know how to spell it).

That's what I was thinking also. I had an old 1500 4x that I had to replace the solenoid, that actuated the four wheel drive, every year. I would think that would be the place to start.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on this on a number of Chevy sites, and apparently this has been an issue with 1500's and Avalanches, and their main fix is to disable the 4X system. They replace everything from the encoder to the dash switch to the sensor on the transfer case, and have not come up with any clear cut reasons why this is an issue. One of the forums list TSB 03-04-21-001B, but I can't find any place where I can print that up and take it to the dealer. This could be a problem, one that Chevy already knows about, and it has cost some of the guys anywhere form $600-$1500 to fix!

Boy am I glad my warranty expired 6 months ago! :hotdevil

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Before you start replacing parts, scan the computer and read the codes and go from there !

maxwedge

(Maximus Wedge-i-mus)
Reaction score
Remember that transfer case shift lever they used to have on 4x4's that never failed and probably cost $20 to make...I guess that was far to challenging for some people to figure out so the manufacturers have replaced it with $4000 worth of electronic wizardry that's nowhere near as reliable.:D

PVHCA

Reaction score
my 06 would go into 4wd on its own(2x), dealer replaced solinoid? and the problem has been rectified, it would go in when i would start it up never while driving, just adding my .02$

Sherpa

Reaction score
and they wonder why their sales aren't what they used to be......

I second the commentary about the "oh my god I have to actually engage
4wd by using a lever" technology they decided was to caveman to do.

--Sherpa

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
So what ended up being the cost of this switch? I know that they want $110 for the diagnostics, but what about the switch? I had one shop quote me $800 plus labor if it is the switch on the transfer case. :smackhead

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
Our Avalanche was repaired under warrenty both times. Because of these gremlins, I went ahead and purchased the extended warrenty cause I don't trust this truck at all :swear

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
I have an idea... Sell it or Smash it.......Problem solved..:D:D:D:D

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
shreve"T";26450 said:

Bowties on trucks...you got to be kidding me!!!!:D:D

Replace it with a blue oval!!!

Serious note, I wouldn't change a thing until you run the codes, it wuld be foolish to swap parts out of the blue, although the solenoid is probably bad, dont do a thing until you run codes....you might find out you have a blown .15c fuse!!:drool:swear:swear

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
shreve"T";26450 said:

Oh thats been brought up a few times. Damn wife would rather sell me :D

oldschool

Reaction score
Bowties on trucks...you got to be kidding me!!!!:D:D

Replace it with a blue oval!!!

Serious note, I wouldn't change a thing until you run the codes, it wuld be foolish to swap parts out of the blue, although the solenoid is probably bad, dont do a thing until you run codes....you might find out you have a blown .15c fuse!!:drool:swear:swear

True dat. I've been down that road too many times. Don't just pole vault to conclusions, the cost to diagnose the problem can save you money in the end.

Reaction score
The most common problem is the encoder sensor inside the motor asm attached to the transfer case The cost is about 250. The only poblem is if there is oil in the sensor you will have to replace the shaft seal on the transfer case about 600 to 700 for that.Code most of the time is C0327.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
24 good call. I just received word from the service writer that is indeed code C0327. So they are quoting me $268 for now, and I'll wait for the road test.

Now to the mud slinging....I am not going to try and tempt karma by complaining that I've always driven Fords, and only had 1 problem in 29 years. But this Chevy has been in for 2 software flashes, a rear end issue that was solved by replacing a faulty part, and an air conditioning issue that was resolved early on and is working fine. Nothing that was a real show stopper, and nothing that was that expensive to fix, just that it has spent more time in the shop than my previous 4 Fords outside of routine maintenance.

Did I say that outloud? :eek:

Joker

Reaction score
Tremor, didnt you buy AA's Ford a while back?

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
I wanted to, but he sold it to someone a couple of days before I could get the cash together. :(