WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chevy/GMC/Caddy diesel

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
So does anyone have the new 3.0l diesel in a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? Ordering the wife a new car and considering the diesel. She's driving a Tahoe now with the 5.3 gasser and I'm considering the diesel. It will just be a mom car, no towing etc.

Has anyone gone from the 5.3 to the diesel? If so, your thoughts?

fastenuff3

Reaction score
So does anyone have the new 3.0l diesel in a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? Ordering the wife a new car and considering the diesel. She's driving a Tahoe now with the 5.3 gasser and I'm considering the diesel. It will just be a mom car, no towing etc.

they already dropped the 3.ol diesel nothing but problems

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
The video somebody posted on here for the 2022 models, show the 3.0 has been upgraded??

To the OP, since it's a mom vehicle, and diesel is as much or more than gas, not sure if a mileage upgrade would be worth the upcharge for the diesel?

boatpi

Reaction score
I don’t think they dropped it I think they’re running a parts or something but it’s got great reviews and it’s a no cost option in the Caddy and not expensive than the suburban.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I don’t think they dropped it I think they’re running a parts or something but it’s got great reviews and it’s a no cost option in the Caddy and not expensive than the suburban.
i go to 3 gm dealers and all the 3.0 sold have oil consumption problems. they stopped production as of last week

lbhsbz

Reaction score

My neighbor has a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 with the babymax and loves it…he tows a 27’ boat from Long Beach to Havasu….says it goes great.

Flippindough

Reaction score
Ive heard nothing but positive feedback from the two friends who have the 3.0L DMAX

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
The video somebody posted on here for the 2022 models, show the 3.0 has been upgraded??

To the OP, since it's a mom vehicle, and diesel is as much or more than gas, not sure if a mileage upgrade would be worth the upcharge for the diesel?
No upcgarge to the diesel. They are getting 27 mpg, my wife's 5.3 gets about 18.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
We have an Escalade on order with the 3.0 diesel. Fortunately it was just built prior to the constraint. According to the articles it's due to a shortage with a supplier. When we test drove it, the power was great on the street, I think it lacks a little on the highway when you want to pass someone compared to the 6.2.

Englewood

Reaction score
Our friends have a Denali w the 3.0 and we just got ours today with the 3.0. So far, beyond impressed. Quiet but still has power. Rides amazing. Can barely hear it running.

boatpi

Reaction score
I recall some not so impressed with my then new 2017 RRS Diesel. It is a great SUV, this is where diesels shine, torque. My MPG was always above 30.

senorpdog

Reaction score
I have the Escalade and a Sierra with it absolutely love them plenty of power and great fuel economy.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had the 20 silverado 3.0. . Loved it. Mpg was insanely awesome. Pulled my 26 lavey and a 26' travel trailer with ease. Not one problem with it.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Bought the wife a 2021 Yukon with the 3.0 Duramax. She loves it. Quiet, power is adequate and averaging 26mpg in a giant 4wd SUV is unreal. Tows the boat (22 ft) like a dream. Also two buddies with the same motor in trucks, no problems thus far and they like them as well. Both pull travel trailers.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Depends on how long you plan on owning it. Look into the oil pump issues. Wet sump pump driven off a belt

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Chevy 3.0 is alive and well

FORD dropped THEIR 3.0 diesel. Because...well....Ford and Diesel :p
Actually....they probably dropped it cause the new F150 ligtning will have them covered in the MPG truck category, no purpose for a diesel that tows less than the gassers just for the sake of MPG, when you have an electric truck about to debut

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Depends on how long you plan on owning it. Look into the oil pump issues. Wet sump pump driven off a belt

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

They dont seem to have oil pump issues that I have seen or heard about?

They do list that the oil pump drive belt is a service item with a 150k mile lifespan, so at that point you drop the trans and change the belt. Chevy says the labor hours to drop trans / change belt are the same as if the belt was in the front of the motor. not sure if that is true....but thats what they're saying.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
They dont seem to have oil pump issues that I have seen or heard about?

They do list that the oil pump drive belt is a service item with a 150k mile lifespan, so at that point you drop the trans and change the belt. Chevy says the labor hours to drop trans / change belt are the same as if the belt was in the front of the motor. not sure if that is true....but thats what they're saying.
Of course that’s what they say, they are trying to sell you a very expensive vehicle.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Of course that’s what they say, they are trying to sell you a very expensive vehicle.
There was an independent interview with a GM engineer from the 3.0 Duramax program where he spoke on the design, why they put it there, tests it went thru, etc.
I didn't get the info from larry the car salesman .....

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
There was an independent interview with a GM engineer from the 3.0 Duramax program where he spoke on the design, why they put it there, tests it went thru, etc.
I didn't get the info from larry the car salesman .....
Again, he’s a GM rep, his job is to tell you “don’t worry, we make a high quality product, I was part of the design team”, to make you feel higher confidence in your purchase of their product.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
The new 2021 Ford 5.0 has a wet, belt driven oil pump too. Hate away! 😂

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Again, he’s a GM rep, his job is to tell you “don’t worry, we make a high quality product, I was part of the design team”, to make you feel higher confidence in your purchase of their product.
Ok, but in that same vein - where does your opinion of the oil pump come from?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My buddies 2020 gmc used a lot if oil, he couldn't go 5k miles without adding, and for a brand new truck that was surprising, dealer didn't seem surprised, he traded it in on a Ram

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
How often do you have to change a modern serpentine belt now-a-days? Modern belts go run a long time now with out degradation.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
How often do you have to change a modern serpentine belt now-a-days? Modern belts go run a long time now with out degradation.

This, now add on top of it that this belt is spinning in the oil pan staying moist and lubricated. That same GM engineer referenced above said that he is currently in an internal battle with his legal team to get them to not be afraid of their own shadow and bump the service life to 200k

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

How often would she plan on driving it? Some issues I have heard about with all new diesels is that the DEF system does not like to sit for long periods of time.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My buddies 2020 gmc used a lot if oil, he couldn't go 5k miles without adding, and for a brand new truck that was surprising, dealer didn't seem surprised, he traded it in on a Ram
Was it a 3.0 duramax?