WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chevy Truck Dead on road/ Lucas Fuel Additive question.

white tortilla

Reaction score
I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 with about 240,000 miles. just a work truck, gets beat on and keeps on chuggin never had a problem. i decided to put the lucas fuel system cleaner in to see if i could pick up a mpg or two. after the 1st tank thru it became really hard to start where id have to crank it over 3-4 times before it would start. Yesterday on the freeway it started stumbling for about 10 seconds then just died and i had to drift onto the shoulder where it wouldnt start again. its not getting fuel now for some reason. got towed home.

not blaming the additive at all as i use lucas in everything and people have had alot of luck with it. any opinions on what may have happened?

did the additive loosen up all the crud in the tank and clog the fuel filter?? thats the only thought i have?

any help would be appreciated, mabye something i can fix myself before i take it to a mechanic.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Id say yes or ur fuel pump just happened to go out.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
You're probably right. I've heard of similar scenarios with detergent/synthetic oils where they end up cleaning or penetrating the sludge that was sealing holes and all of a sudden you have oil leaks where you never had one in the past.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I think that you should document your every event then file a huge ass-ed lawsuit against everybody you can find. RD and Billdo for distributing (hey, you might end up owning a website and a brand new toy hauler), then Forest Lucas, then Chevy for building the truck.

Keep us posted.........

CC

jet496

Reaction score
Interesting you just posted this. I just took my boat out Friday that had gas in it that was over a year old. I'd fire it up every month to keep things moving & it always fired up in a split second. I did that Friday as well & it fired right up. Then I added Lucas Fuel Additive & it wouldn't fire up after cranking it for 5 seconds or so (that has never happened with this boat before). I stopped & tried again & it finally fired up. I went through that a few times on the lake but it corrected itself after I ran it for 10 minutes or so knocking the cobwebs out. I figured I loosened some gummed up shit & finally passed it when running it.

I'm not sure if it was good or bad that I added the treatment, but it's all good now.

Pelon

Reaction score
I have a 2000 GMC one ton. I used to use additives at almost every fill up. Started going through fuel pumps every 30 to 40 thousand miles. Stopped using additives and now have put on about 100 thousand miles since last failure. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but i am not using anything right now. I have a 5.7l with 320,000 miles.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 with about 240,000 miles. just a work truck, gets beat on and keeps on chuggin never had a problem. i decided to put the lucas fuel system cleaner in to see if i could pick up a mpg or two. after the 1st tank thru it became really hard to start where id have to crank it over 3-4 times before it would start. Yesterday on the freeway it started stumbling for about 10 seconds then just died and i had to drift onto the shoulder where it wouldnt start again. its not getting fuel now for some reason. got towed home.

not blaming the additive at all as i use lucas in everything and people have had alot of luck with it. any opinions on what may have happened?

did the additive loosen up all the crud in the tank and clog the fuel filter?? thats the only thought i have?

any help would be appreciated, mabye something i can fix myself before i take it to a mechanic.

Interesting you just posted this. I just took my boat out Friday that had gas in it that was over a year old. I'd fire it up every month to keep things moving & it always fired up in a split second. I did that Friday as well & it fired right up. Then I added Lucas Fuel Additive & it wouldn't fire up after cranking it for 5 seconds or so (that has never happened with this boat before). I stopped & tried again & it finally fired up. I went through that a few times on the lake but it corrected itself after I ran it for 10 minutes or so knocking the cobwebs out. I figured I loosened some gummed up shit & finally passed it when running it.

I'm not sure if it was good or bad that I added the treatment, but it's all good now.

I have a 2000 GMC one ton. I used to use additives at almost every fill up. Started going through fuel pumps every 30 to 40 thousand miles. Stopped using additives and now have put on about 100 thousand miles since last failure. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but i am not using anything right now. I have a 5.7l with 320,000 miles.

This is good material....................I see a class-action lawsuit developing right before my eyes..........................:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Gasoline is one hell of a cleaner in it self.
I can't see that adding anything would help it further or change anything.

The owners manuals usually say don't add anything. At least on the vehicles we own they do.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score

The owners manuals usually say don't add anything. At least on the vehicles we own they do.

I never understood the fuel system cleaners. Why would I want to agitate gunk? I dont want particles stirred up and get into the feed lines. Filter or not something can still pass then clog an injector. Funny thing is everyone who has added the Lucas stuff has had hard start problems shortly after. Why?

The only thing ill add to old gas is octane boost.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score

This.

Gasoline already comes with additive in it at a pre-determined injection percentage. Your car is meant to run on gasoline ... not additive or any other shit.

I never understood the fuel system cleaners. Why would I want to agitate gunk? I dont want particles stirred up and get into the feed lines. Filter or not something can still pass then clog an injector. Funny thing is everyone who has added the Lucas stuff has had hard start problems shortly after. Why?

If I have "old" fuel, I only top it off with premium and go.

white tortilla

Reaction score
well fuck me sideways! where were all these voices of reason when i grabbed it off the counter display!!! lesson learned lol. im gonna change the filter and if that doesnt work its off to the real mechanic

HPBoats83

Reaction score

Or just add it from the beginning of the vehicles life then don't worry about it and it will stay cleaner longer. That's one of the reasons I run bio diesel as an additive

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised riverbound hasn't chimed in yet lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I only run Marvel Mystery Oil in my engines if I run anything.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I have ran fuel system cleaner in my chevy 3500 twice, shortly after each time I had to replace the fuel pump. Needless to say, the only thing that goes in my tank is gas. First time I just figured it was the pump, they are notorious for going out, second time I figured out it was the cleaner.

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
I have a 05 Silverado 5.3 with over 350k on it have used lucas products since new
and never had any problems. Most all the miles are freeway and river trips hell I still
on the orig transmission only have replaced 1 water pump and on my 2nd battery.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
It "woke the dead" on the Chevelle as I was driving it home. Running fine... Added the cleaner and it wouldn't run. Changed the filter and it was good to go.

DrHW

Reaction score
That is why the say never add anything in the Owner's Manuals. :D

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't know about an 01, but the 90's GM were notorious for their fuel pumps going out suddenly. One time I was driving a 92. The truck ran great with no problems. I stopped at a client's house, was there for about 3 minutes, came out and the truck wouldn't start. Had to change the fuel pump in their driveway. LOL. I think it is because their pumps are mounted to the fuel tank and easily pickbup any debris in the bottom of the tank.

sent using Tapatalk.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
In my 1995 Suburban 5.7 tbi, 2005 6.0 ESV, and my 2008 XLR Northstar, all use Mobil One ( 10/30 not 05/30 as GM asks) and I also use Lucas Synthetic oil additive. When we go to fuel up each vehicle, I always add a few ounces of Lucas Fuel injector cleaner, and it has worked very well for us so far. In the past when I changed the mobil one oil it ran out like 'black water', but since I've been adding Lucas oil additive, the old oil seems to have 'more body; and 'sticks to surfaces better', even though it's the old oil I am removing. I am not a person who trusts "magic in a can", but the fuel and oil treatments I am using, are working for me.