WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chinese Exhaust Headers?

floatn turd

Reaction score
So I saw a set of these "no name" headers for sale locally for $200.
(I don't need headers but for $200, why the hell not!)

I looked, and saw these same headers on a few different Ebay stores.
They all look exactly the same and are all around $1,300 ish.

Anyone have any dealings with these funky no name headers from ebay or ones like them?

Screenshot_20200806-181640_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200806-181848_eBay.jpg

BlowMe

Reaction score
I have seen those as well and wondered about them too....not that I would personally ever buy them or run them but just curious

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
First covid and now they’re trying to ruin boating too wtf..........

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Probably 400ss and thin wall. Spend more getting them leaked checked, threads retapped on ports and mounting holes wallowed out.🤔

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've run the chinesim Sbc and Ls headers on stuff...mostly because I can't afford to have headers built, and most stuff I do is not cookie cutter. The chinese ones I don't feel bad about cutting and modifying.

Boat headers though? Too many companies statside that make products that work, with names that have been around a long time.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
If it is the same seller, quite a few of jet bote guys run the over the transom versions of those headers without issues from what I read a few years ago.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I hear ya.
Usually my lil turd usually gets "the good stuff".
But
For maybe $200ish, if I ever need em in a pinch.......who knows.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
On a car it would be one thing. Get an exhaust leak and no real biggie. On a boat...... no thanks. Like was said, hydro lock a motor and will cost ya big time.

DalesSpeed

Reaction score
We had some of these that came through the shop years ago (no name, no brand) they looked great, but they didn’t include water lines back then. Rewarder and Bassett lines didn’t line up either.

Don’t know if that’s still the case.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Man I've been wanting to put some big radius pipes on my bike for a long time but could never bring myself to spend the $1000 to do so. There's some knock offs for $250 now that really have me thinking though. I'm not sure where they're made. But I've wanted some big radius' for a while...

78Southwind

Reaction score
Probably 400ss and thin wall. Spend more getting them leaked checked, threads retapped on ports and mounting holes wallowed out.🤔

This right here. I ordered over the transom headers about 5 years ago and besides all the problems already mentioned they came with a nice dent in one of the primaries. I think they were around $300 back then. They wanted to give me $80 off to just keep them but I sent them back for a refund. I am pretty sure that's Jake's Southwind (looks like it) but if I remember right he had something to do with them, maybe sponsored or something like that. He liked them for what they were but he ran them dry.

guest hs

Reaction score
I have used a set of these before they are not bad at all. They have a really thick flange. They dont have water lines. I bought water lines from Bassett and modified them to work. All in all they were well worth the money!

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I’m not advocating these Chinese headers. But why all the talk of your engine is toast if you hydrolock?
My old eliminator ski open jet I did it at least 6 times, if the family was sitting on the back and a wave came in right, the water would go over the hump in the exhaust. Go to start boat, and,”ting” as the starter hit the flywheel and motor did not turn, pull plugs, turn it over a few times, reinstall plugs, go put it on the trailer, change the oil. Never was a big deal, inconvenient, yes. Detrimental, no.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I’m not advocating these Chinese headers. But why all the talk of your engine is toast if you hydrolock?
My old eliminator ski open jet I did it at least 6 times, if the family was sitting on the back and a wave came in right, the water would go over the hump in the exhaust. Go to start boat, and,”ting” as the starter hit the flywheel and motor did not turn, pull plugs, turn it over a few times, reinstall plugs, go put it on the trailer, change the oil. Never was a big deal, inconvenient, yes. Detrimental, no.
You weren't doing it right and got lucky lol
crumpled_h-beam_rod.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've done both...the "warning shot" style hydrolock, and the "new and improved variable compression model".
The big damage was from lifting a head...didn't take much water to ruin a lot of work.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
AMP Hose and Fittings in Havasu has a fix for the water line connection issues on these. I don't own a set of these but was having some stainless thru hull hydraulic jack plate hardware machined for my Stoker and was poking around his shop, quality work.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I might consider a set for the price...buy some big SS bends and some big tube (or roll your own) and jacket them. Way cheaper than a set of lightenings...

78Southwind

Reaction score
This is the company I bought my headers from (DNA). The problems I remember having besides the dent in one of the primaries (caused by shipping) is that the ports were in different positions (kind of funky) and the threads didn't match. The heads were also a little shorter than the headers I was previously running.

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
ya, wasn't so lucky to have the motor fill up when we were anchored... hole in block, bent forged stroker crank, 2 rods etc...she made a noise like she spun a rod bearing, came down to idle had oil pressure, she idled fine no noise, went to see if I could limp back to camp and she died right therea. At least on the outside it was a quiet death while inside all hell broke loose. All we can figure is that water pushed back up past my old school snails and up the the logs to where they start to taper and filled up #6.
bent rod.jpg
ENGINE FAILURE MAY 2019 3.jpg
ENGINE FAILURE MAY 2019.jpg

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
ya, wasn't so lucky to have the motor fill up when we were anchored... hole in block, bent forged stroker crank, 2 rods etc...she made a noise like she spun a rod bearing, came down to idle had oil pressure, she idled fine no noise, went to see if I could limp back to camp and she died right therea. At least on the outside it was a quiet death while inside all hell broke loose. All we can figure is that water pushed back up past my old school snails and up the the logs to where they start to taper and filled up #6. View attachment 907941 View attachment 907942 View attachment 907943
Yeah buddy 👍

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Make sure to get the DNA Motoring brand. I have them on my jet boat. So far so good and nice tig welds

6D4B5BC8-0658-4050-A79B-1BE80042CFED.jpeg
B4303FEE-6466-4A91-8B9C-F1E3EA75A7F8.jpeg
B82B74A1-E48D-4151-9E5F-A3B57A6FB6B7.jpeg
7E5B0D9B-8EC7-47A3-8106-73778DE1CAE5.jpeg