WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chinewalking

Ultra912

Reaction score
What are the basic corrections for chinewalking. Trim plates, engine height or ?

Andy B.

Reaction score
Trim tabs for me settle boat down.
25' Virage step hull

Riverbottom

Reaction score
If it is an outboard, solid lower motor mounts make a big difference.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Check for any slop in the engine mounts or steering system. A small amount of slop when aired out makes a HUGE difference in a small light Vee.

Ultra912

Reaction score
I'm running a 200 XRi with a solid bracket on the transom set back about 6 ". Also have hydraulic steering. I have some small manual trim plates that were on the hull when I purchased it in 1991 and they're set all the way down. Maybe raise them a bit to lift the bow?
The setup is in my avatar photo. It's a 19' deep vee.

Ultra912

Reaction score
What are the basic corrections for chinewalking. Trim plates, engine height or ?
EF5051A4-C269-4615-8FCF-55573A035CE9.jpeg

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Solid lower motor mounts is the first thing. Rigged several Mod V's in the late 70's and early 80's before Mod VP came around. It is a cheap and easy change, Merc used to sell them, and Land & Sea if they are still around.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Those are not solid in the photo?
I'm mistaking the mount on the plate rather than the motor?
Go with just the lowers?
Does the hull then get quite a bit more vibration?
Difficulty installing 1-10

Last edited:

Riverbottom

Reaction score
The motor has rubber mounts between the tower housing and the swivel bracket that the motor turns on. The lower ones are behind the little finned plastic covers just above the lower unit. Installing is pretty easy, ( it has been a long time since I have changed any ) On some Merc V6's the long bolt that goes through the mount was installed so it was captive and could not slide out. We would take off the cover and the clam shell that retains the mount and simply cut the bolt off and replace it with a new one. It is just a 7/16 or 1/2 " stainless hex bolt. You will get a little more vibration but not bad. Go with just lowers as they are easy, and as long as they are keeping the motor from oscillating around you should be fine. ( also if you do solid lowers and uppers you will notice more vibration in the boat ) Remove one of the plastic covers and you will see the rubber mount.

Ultra912

Reaction score
The motor has rubber mounts between the tower housing and the swivel bracket that the motor turns on. The lower ones are behind the little finned plastic covers just above the lower unit. Installing is pretty easy, ( it has been a long time since I have changed any ) On some Merc V6's the long bolt that goes through the mount was installed so it was captive and could not slide out. We would take off the cover and the clam shell that retains the mount and simply cut the bolt off and replace it with a new one. It is just a 7/16 or 1/2 " stainless hex bolt. You will get a little more vibration but not bad. Go with just lowers as they are easy, and as long as they are keeping the motor from oscillating around you should be fine. ( also if you do solid lowers and uppers you will notice more vibration in the boat ) Remove one of the plastic covers and you will see the rubber mount.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Watched a video and it's pretty straight forward. It also recommends re-installing bolt opposite of original

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Watched a video and it's pretty straight forward. It also recommends re-installing bolt opposite of original

Correct, cut off the bolt and put the new one in the other way, washer and nylock nut and you are good to go. It is pretty simple and makes a big difference. I hope this solves the chine walking.

stingray11

Reaction score
Check your steering play.if you grab the motor can you move it back and forth, If so air in the cylinder. If all good how much play is in the steering wheel if you move it back and forth till motor moves? Also cav plate needs to be min 3" above the bottom of boat, if you are ridding on cav plate it will walk.

Last edited:

Ultra912

Reaction score
Check your steering play.if you grab the motor can you move it back and forth, If so air in the cylinder. If all good how much play is in the steering wheel if you move it back and forth till motor moves? Also cav plate needs to be min 3" above the bottom of boat, if you are ridding on cav plate it will walk.
How bout those plates. You can see them pretty good in the garage photo. Not that big and I've always had them down all the way since they're manual

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
With a V bottom at speeds over 60 getting rid of the chimewalk is so difficult. If you put tabs on that will definitely give you the ability to flatten out the chime. But in doing so you will scrub off speed. It’s a trade off. My experiences in height will not change that much. It’ll just get you more top end until you lose water pressure. Sounds like getting more top and isn’t the mission. Getting rid of the chime is.

That hull is a full V with no pad in the center? If so it’s fighting to find a happy spot once it gets on top. Definitely a challenging project.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
A picture of the bottom of the boat out of the water might be helpful, with bottom work you could make the streaks wider to try to mimic a pad bottom, but it may not work depending on how deep the V is in the back.

stingray11

Reaction score
How bout those plates. You can see them pretty good in the garage photo. Not that big and I've always had them down all the way since they're manual
If you're getting any kind of speed out of that boat those plates are flying through the air doing nothing at speed. Like Billy said with a true V-bottom you're never gonna get the chime walk totally out of it just gonna have to get used to driving it .

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
If you're getting any kind of speed out of that boat those plates are flying through the air doing nothing at speed. Like Billy said with a true V-bottom you're never gonna get the chime walk totally out of it just gonna have to get used to driving it .

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE

The only way to eliminate chme on a V is with twins. They pretty much eliminate that side to side pendulum.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The picture you posted of the transom in the garage looks like its a rounded keel with pronounced chines. I do think those tabs aren't helping much at all. Those are really only for getting up on plane and helping the boat run flat when towing or what not. Lift them all the way up for now at least. I don't think the rounded keel is helping you much either as that doesn't give as much lateral stability to the ride as a straight Vee does.

Like other have said, check for slop in the steering and also have someone hold the steering wheel tight and see if you can move engine side to side without the wheel turning. If so, you likely need to get your steering bled.