WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chip in Hull - leave it or seal it?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
51A1A581-CB1A-4A83-8B16-93537E4A3303.jpeg
There was a pallet floating down river 2 weeks ago and I managed to hit it of course. It took a good sized chip out of the gel down to the glass.

It is not a huge deal as I was going to get the bottom cleaned up anyway but anything I should do with the chip in the meantime? Should I seal it up with a little epoxy or another product?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I hit rock island on one of the dam runs. Seal it so water doesn’t migrate and bubble it. Capillary action, surface tension, all that good shit. Cobra fixed mine I couldn’t have been that much because I don’t remember complaining too much.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I hit rock island on one of the dam runs. Seal it so water doesn’t migrate and bubble it. Capillary action, surface tension, all that good shit. Cobra fixed mine I couldn’t have been that much because I don’t remember complaining too much.

The bottom of mine needs to be redone anyway. It’s gonna be $600-$700. I’d be pissed if I had the bottom done already this season like I was planning.

Procrastination pays off again!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
View attachment 756676 There was a pallet floating down river 2 weeks ago and I managed to hit it of course. It took a good sized chip out of the gel down to the glass.

It is not a huge deal as I was going to get the bottom cleaned up anyway but anything I should do with the chip in the meantime? Should I seal it up with a little epoxy or another product?

Since you're getting things cleaned up anyway and this repair will be temporary, avoid epoxy. Epoxy sticks to everything, but the only thing that sticks to epoxy is epoxy. I'd call up whoever you're planning on having do the gel repairs down the road and ask them what to use as a temporary patch. Short of that, I'd get a gelcoat repair kit and a brush on a couple coats of white just to seal it.

cofooter

Reaction score
Since you're getting things cleaned up anyway and this repair will be temporary, avoid epoxy. Epoxy sticks to everything, but the only thing that sticks to epoxy is epoxy. I'd call up whoever you're planning on having do the gel repairs down the road and ask them what to use as a temporary patch. Short of that, I'd get a gelcoat repair kit and a brush on a couple coats of white just to seal it.
Agree, seal the exposed glass for now with polyesther resin, then worry about it later, especially if you don't keep it in the water for long periods of time.