WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chitty-chitty, Bang-bang...Well, Kinda

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, didn't plan on hitting the river this weekend. Next weekend seemed a bit better.
Beginning of last week, a guy calls me from SoCal. Wants me to pick up a car, and get it running for him. It's a 1932 Ford roadster. Last driven before I was born. I picked up another flathead...later model, all of 85 raging horsepower;) Also loaded some misc. parts for the project. Friday afternoon I left San Dimas with every river rat known, and hauled my happy ass back to Prescott Valley. Saturday I unloaded the trailer. Just took these pics of the project at hand...going to be fun. Wierd, but fun. Pretty rare occurrance to leave it pretty much stock, mechanical brakes, 6 volt...stock but the motor.
2019-09-02 15.57.50.jpg
2019-09-02 15.56.55.jpg

bonesfab

Reaction score
That’s bad ass. Is it a roadster or convertible? Does it have roll up windows? I wouldn’t touch the exterior at all.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That’s bad ass. Is it a roadster or convertible? Does it have roll up windows? I wouldn’t touch the exterior at all.
Straight roadster. No pesky window regulators to work with. The same guy has a 34 cabriolet with roll up windows that may be coming back when I drop this one off. This guy is very old Ford. I've done a deuce three window, a 34 fordor and a 35 panel truck for him. Flatheads, juice brakes and dropped axles. The others were all very old school hotrod. This one has never been off the frame, so he wants to leave it kind of as is. 87 years old...pretty cool.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I agree. To me, nothing is more stupid than painting a car in that condition with clear coat to "preserve" the look.
There will be slight "touching" of the body...Have to pull the rear spreader bar, frame horn covers and bumper to get the tank out. I've been pretty successful at doing that type of stuff with limited collateral damage. The owner and his kid both told me I could braze or gas weld the tear in the passenger front fender. Mostly because it's a hungry F'r, takes bites out of pant legs. The body is pretty savable, needs cowl and quarter patches. That may be down the road, for now he just wants it to drive down the road in all it's high speed glory:p

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
2019-08-31 14.23.05.jpg
2019-08-31 14.21.56.jpg

These two pics are for @old rigger . I figure this thread is a good place to put early Ford weirdness. The top pic is an early 33...more rare than hen's teeth, approaching unicorn status. The bottom pic is your standard issue 33...both have the best grill Henry made, but the early fenders give the car a different look, like a poor man's mini Deusenberg;)

The guy who own's the deuce, yep, he owns these too. I grabbed those pics Friday. Was still fresh in my head from the Parker thread:)

rvrrun

Reaction score
All of the 32's that look like a convertible are roadsters. The B400 was the only true convertible that year. They have what looks more like a 5W door with a full frame.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In 1932, they built the roadster and phaeton...basically a 4 door roadster. They also built both the B400, and the cabriolet having roll up windows. The cabriolet was more or less a convertible coupe, and the B400 more of a sedan. Those are both really rare, something in the area of 400 B400's built, and slightly more cabriolet's. A guy I knew in Huntington Beach had a really nice, unrestored B400, along with a bunch of other '32's. He passed away a little over a year ago, and the collection got scattered. I just found out recently the B400 ended up in New Mexico. Must be a collector out there with both good taste and deep pockets;)

old rigger

Reaction score
All of the 32's that look like a convertible are roadsters. The B400 was the only true convertible that year. They have what looks more like a 5W door with a full frame.

Nope. The Cabriolet looks like a convertible but is not a roadster. To the average person it might look the same but there are several main differences, fixed windshield frame, roll up windows. In fact I think the only body panel that's the same as a roadster is the deck lid.

The B400, super rare car. My neighbor had an A400. And another neighbor I know has a 28 Sedan Delivery, all original too. I'd love to have that one. Me and my dad with his 28 delivery in 1959 and a few years later when it was finished.

IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG
image2.JPG

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
View attachment 793958 View attachment 793959
These two pics are for @old rigger . I figure this thread is a good place to put early Ford weirdness. The top pic is an early 33...more rare than hen's teeth, approaching unicorn status. The bottom pic is your standard issue 33...both have the best grill Henry made, but the early fenders give the car a different look, like a poor man's mini Deusenberg;)

The guy who own's the deuce, yep, he owns these too. I grabbed those pics Friday. Was still fresh in my head from the Parker thread:)

WOW! What a difference in the look of the car! Thanks for posting that pic.

I've had a '38 tudor in storage since the late 70s. Long considered the ugliest Ford of the 30s, it's finally growing on me. Been thinking of bringing it out of hibernation and doing something with it. Super straight, rust free, but ugly. I took the flattie out decades ago and put it in a roadster pick up. It was a nice engine, merc crank, old Winfield cam and Johnson adjustable lifters.

How Ford went from the 33-4 to the 38 in 3 short years is amazing. The 36 was a looker, but damn that 38 is homely.

old rigger

Reaction score
Some might have never seen an A400 or B400, this is a '32.

Nash Rambler did the same thing in the early 50s. I think they're pretty cool. When I was a kid the Superman TV show was on in reruns and Lois Lane drove one of these Ramblers.

1932-Ford-B-400-Convertible-Sedan-.jpg.12fe878726b8a56e4ff33edc22ab4824.jpg

a-petes-32-51.jpg
Nash_Rambler_Convertible.jpg

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
2B0EAD45-8393-44DA-BE2B-3C86031747AC.jpeg
2F70D850-A0BB-4318-9BA2-7C948A663351.jpeg
Yeah, I forgot about the cabriolet.

...but you guys left out the 2door phaeton. (those that know the deuce body reveal will know what it started as)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is a guy in Canada...or maybe far north US?...that converts 32 tudors into B400's. I'm sure not cheap. I know Marcel Delay in Corona could do it, if he and his sons are still doing stuff like that. Talented family, extremely talented.

Well, is the 38 a standard or a deluxe? I've always been a fan of the standard. I like the art deco streamline grill and hood sides. The 38 pickup is pretty homely, but I've had a few of them. The last one was a Kennedy Dairy panel truck. Thing was beat to hell, torch welded and lumpy. Sbc, 5spd and a dropped axle...looked cool and moved pretty good. Sold it to a fellow in Tennessee for his antique shop business.
WOW! What a difference in the look of the car! Thanks for posting that pic.

I've had a '38 tudor in storage since the late 70s. Long considered the ugliest Ford of the 30s, it's finally growing on me. Been thinking of bringing it out of hibernation and doing something with it. Super straight, rust free, but ugly. I took the flattie out decades ago and put it in a roadster pick up. It was a nice engine, merc crank, old Winfield cam and Johnson adjustable lifters.

How Ford went from the 33-4 to the 38 in 3 short years is amazing. The 36 was a looker, but damn that 38 is homely.

old rigger

Reaction score
It’s a standard. Years ago at the model T swap meet back when it was either at the dustbowl or Cerritos college, dad and I found a complete front clip for a 38 deluxe. Fenders, hood, grill, everything. Walked by it 3 or 4 times checking it out and finally at the end of the day we paid the price he was asking, $50. Joke was on us though because at the time we thought we could just bolt everything on the standard body. Still have all those parts too. I bought a set of mounts from Pete and Jakes back when they were in Temple City and I have a 327 that came out of an Impala wagon my parents bought new, so that’s sitting in there too.... it’s been in it since ‘79. Dad also picked up a spare set of rear fenders. Nothing wrong with the ones on the car but we found out they only fit the Tudor standard and the 4 door Phaeton. That was info we heard back then, never found out if it’s true but the car has extra fenders.

I love the ‘38 Ford pickups, great looking grill.

old rigger

Reaction score
View attachment 794085 View attachment 794086 Yeah, I forgot about the cabriolet.

...but you guys left out the 2door phaeton. (those that know the deuce body reveal will know what it started as)

haha, good one.

Ford did build a 2 door de luxe Phaeton in '31 though. Pretty rare.

2 years ago I bought a '28 Phaeton just to flip. Should a kept that one too.

108729_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
IMG_3081.JPG

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
F293CA52-912B-40A2-BBC2-1C5D9A68C5C5.jpeg
Doesn’t get any more bad ass than a 3 window.
what’s the story?
...Was hot rodded in the 50’s...somewhere in the Los Angeles area...Someone bought it took it to Montana where it sat in a barn for decades...the guy who owned it bought a new car and moved the 3 window to outside the barn...the guy who owns it now went over and tarped it for him to keep it out of the weather..,got to know the guy pretty well and the guy finally sold it to him...No clue what my friend paid for it???... he was a little bit secretive about that ...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mmmm, I can almost smell the mohair! I hope your friend does something with it. Sling a motor in it and it's perfect.

The last 3wdw I did was for the same guy that owns this roadster. It was a hotrod from Bellflower, mid-60's era. Car got wadded into a curb and covered until 2005. My friend ended up with it, and amassed the parts to get it on the road. Ended up with a Timmerman built flatmotor, 4 1/4 stroke and 3 3/8 +.060 bore...nasty motor:cool:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Radiator is down at the radiator shop. Guy looked at me funny, told him to fix the leaks, but leave it be. Can't look perfect, and isn't a pressurized system...at least he knew it was a flathead deal, and the guy's good with everything else I've had go there.
2019-09-04 07.31.22.jpg

And the donor heart, out of a restored 1940...
2019-09-04 07.32.35.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Radiator is down at the radiator shop. Guy looked at me funny, told him to fix the leaks, but leave it be. Can't look perfect, and isn't a pressurized system...at least he knew it was a flathead deal, and the guy's good with everything else I've had go there.
View attachment 794395
And the donor heart, out of a restored 1940...
View attachment 794396

Is that the original 21 stud in the 32?

old rigger

Reaction score
I don't believe it is the original, but going to check the numbers. It is an early 21 stud, complete with the 32 aluminum pan, tall pumps, tall coil and Detroit Lubricator carb. Someone was getting parts together to restore it I think.

Amazing, parts are probably worth more than any car I've owned.

I had a real nice early '38 21 stud LB that I let go with that phaeton a few years back.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

I had a real nice early '38 21 stud LB that I let go with that phaeton a few years back.
The LB's are a better motor. If I had a reason to run a 21 stud that would be the block to run. Just not a fan of poured babbit in the rods and mains, so the LB having inserts makes more sense to me;)

old rigger

Reaction score
The LB's are a better motor. If I had a reason to run a 21 stud that would be the block to run. Just not a fan of poured babbit in the rods and mains, so the LB having inserts makes more sense to me;)

I agree, that's why I picked it up. Messed with T&A bangers in the past, all babbit. One of my friends use to run an A powered rail, regularly spun it to 6K with babbit. He swears by it. He's been in the Four ever Four club since the 50's.

rvrrun

Reaction score

Just about every original deuce part has gotten stupid expensive. I paid almost $22k shipped to get my fordor to CA and recouped all of it selling the parts (I only needed the body). The frame, wishbone, axle, pedals and a few other parts are under the Tudor phaeton I posted earlier and was a big chunk of getting that money back. When I sold the radiator shell the guy was happy to pay $1500 and couldn't get the money out fast enough. The reason for most of it is crappy re pops. Most of the sheet metal on the phaeton is Vintique (we are a dealer) and the time involved to get it to fit like that far outweighs the price of gennie stuff. Look at deuce gas tanks at car shows and if the trailing edge is not parallel to the spreader it's a re pop.

old rigger

Reaction score
Just about every original deuce part has gotten stupid expensive. I paid almost $22k shipped to get my fordor to CA and recouped all of it selling the parts (I only needed the body). The frame, wishbone, axle, pedals and a few other parts are under the Tudor phaeton I posted earlier and was a big chunk of getting that money back. When I sold the radiator shell the guy was happy to pay $1500 and couldn't get the money out fast enough. The reason for most of it is crappy re pops. Most of the sheet metal on the phaeton is Vintique (we are a dealer) and the time involved to get it to fit like that far outweighs the price of gennie stuff. Look at deuce gas tanks at car shows and if the trailing edge is not parallel to the spreader it's a re pop.
I see prices on the HAMB for 32 parts and it's nuts.
I remember walking thought fathers day swap meet with my friend, maybe 15 years ago, and seeing a seller with 6 or 7 original deuce firewalls stacked up and he was asking $500 a piece. Probably should have bought them all.

As crazy as '32 cars and parts are, I would have never in a million years seen this crazy shit with VW buses happening. My friend, same one at the swap, got into bugs in the early 70's. His club may have started the whole Ca look thing back then, but he's into them again now and is building a bus. He keeps me up to date with the mind boggling prices for them. I had some VW's back then but never a bus. The idea of my knees being the front line of defense in a head on wreck never appealed to me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, going back to the whole "Nobody needs a spark plug cleaner"

Stuff like this is why I still have one somewhere. You think those whizbang long reach platinums are pricey:rolleyes:

2019-09-09 15.06.35.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
Until just now I had forgotten about a guy that pitted next to us during the 2011 SpeedWeeks at Bonneville. He had a '28 or '29 Ford coupe that was running in pretty much pure stock class.

Because the class record was so slow, the SCTA didn't require much in the way of safety mods. It had a single hoop roll bar, belts, and safety glass installed and that was about it. I think the class record was 83 or 84 MPH.

It was a pretty cool hot rod.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Until just now I had forgotten about a guy that pitted next to us during the 2011 SpeedWeeks at Bonneville. He had a '28 or '29 Ford coupe that was running in pretty much pure stock class.

Because the class record was so slow, the SCTA didn't require much in the way of safety mods. It had a single hoop roll bar, belts, and safety glass installed and that was about it. I think the class record was 83 or 84 MPH.

It was a pretty cool hot rod.
I have some books on the early days. One is titled "Muroc". It covers a guys weekend trip to Muroc dry lake, which is now Edwards AFB. It was pre-WWII, and had photos and even a copy of the roster. The flathead V8 classes are cubic dollars to run a record. Never looked into a banger. I've driven a couple overhead bangers in stock bodied cars...something a little un-nerving when you get to about 80 on 19" spoked wheels and bias ply tires:eek:

rrrr

Reaction score
The little four cylinder ran good. I think it was called a B block.

old rigger

Reaction score
I have some books on the early days. One is titled "Muroc". It covers a guys weekend trip to Muroc dry lake, which is now Edwards AFB. It was pre-WWII, and had photos and even a copy of the roster. The flathead V8 classes are cubic dollars to run a record. Never looked into a banger. I've driven a couple overhead bangers in stock bodied cars...something a little un-nerving when you get to about 80 on 19" spoked wheels and bias ply tires:eek:

If thats the book "Muroc When the Hot Rods Ran', I interviewed the author William Carroll back in the early 90s for a project. He was a real nice guy, gave me lots of info on those pics from '38. I'm sure he's gone now.

Great book!

51GTHWQT36L._SY473_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
That's what mine started as. Luckily, someone ditched that boat anchor and put a '53 Merc 8ba in it. All that "power" stripped the ring gear soon after and the car sat until I got. I call it a "rare" flathead, no cracks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If thats the book "Muroc When the Hot Rods Ran', I interviewed the author William Carroll back in the early 90s for a project. He was a real nice guy, gave me lots of info on those pics from '38. I'm sure he's gone now.

Great book!

View attachment 796547
That's really cool. I think it was that one, but could have been a different one, that told of flat towing the race car. When they got to the hills, someone would bounce out of the rumble, down the towbar, over the motor and into the driver's seat. Pop start it in 3rd and push the tow vehicle! That's cool, before racing was just dollars.
So, what kind of project were you involved in? Anything Winfield related? Maybe even Tommy Lee? (No, not the drummer...For the people that don't know. He was a high roller early racer. Questionable circumstances surrounding his death)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, been tinkering. Todays project was removing the axle and pulling the kingpins. The bushings were non-existent. Early ones are hollow, to allow a void for the brake actuator pushrod. Also, they are pretty expensive. The hardware and bushings aren't bad though.
I didn't take any pics of making my pin driver. Found a big bolt, and turned the head down just so it would fit throught the chuck. Then turned the threaded end down to fit inside the kingpin.
2019-09-18 11.39.40.jpg
2019-09-18 11.40.28.jpg

After 87 years, it took my best "John Henry" with a 4# single jack. They came out intact...now I have to get some bushings for the spindles.
2019-09-18 11.39.00.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, got some new king pins and bushings. In theory, you'd run the reamer through them, and they're ready to go. I have an old reamer, from a Ford dealer, for this purpose.
2019-09-23 18.56.20.jpg

Now, the pins are from India, the bushings from Argentina...had to get involved with some old school adjustables to get them fit.
2019-09-23 18.57.31.jpg

The joys of repop parts!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, just over a month...not breaking any speed records here. It goes down the road nice and straight, only bumpsteer was from a pothole that has taken out rims. Motor took a little persuading, carb rebuild is no big deal...points, condensor and vacuum brake suck though. Can idle it for 45min and it climbs to 160 and holds, going down the road, about 140:)
Tomorrow...later today I guess, I'll run it and get the brakes adjusted. Then in the trailer, and a road trip.
2019-10-08 00.56.53.jpg

senorpdog

Reaction score
There is a guy in Canada...or maybe far north US?...that converts 32 tudors into B400's. I'm sure not cheap. I know Marcel Delay in Corona could do it, if he and his sons are still doing stuff like that. Talented family, extremely talented.

Well, is the 38 a standard or a deluxe? I've always been a fan of the standard. I like the art deco streamline grill and hood sides. The 38 pickup is pretty homely, but I've had a few of them. The last one was a Kennedy Dairy panel truck. Thing was beat to hell, torch welded and lumpy. Sbc, 5spd and a dropped axle...looked cool and moved pretty good. Sold it to a fellow in Tennessee for his antique shop business.

Marcel Delay now that guy is an artist I had the chance to meet him and tour his shop very cool. One of my since retired bodymen knew him. That Bodyman also built a 1932 Bentley replica from scratch. Those guys are craftsman tough to find these days.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So is this what you do MW? Restore vintage cars? Or do you build hot rods as well?
"Mercenary Mechanic";)
I prefer to do old cars, anything from resurrect old stuff like this, to drag cars. I actually like the fabrication end of things more, but old mechanical stuff is fun. I've done stuff like lowriders and mini-trucks, as well as street racers and big mud trucks....I still play with cars:D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, brake check and adjustment went well. Did the paved road check, to make sure you didn't swap lanes when applying the old mechanicals. I then went full "Bonnie & Clyde" on the dirt roads...that's some real fun, and shakes it down, literally:). I have to get some pics of the dash and engine bay, and in the trailer she goes;)
2019-10-08 12.27.43.jpg
2019-10-08 12.29.02.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, as a I wake my happy ass up, I find myself in a Wallyworld parking lot, wondering wtf is up with the legenday Cali weather! Oh well, here's the road shelter. If you see it cruising up 15 or across 40 this afternoon, honk as you pass...55ish sucks, and so does this thing up hills:)
2019-10-09 08.08.02.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, here are some parting shots... On the right hand side of the dash there was a big hole. Turns out, just about the same diameter as a 12g hull;).

Picked up another one...pics for it tomorrow after unloading:)
2019-10-13 18.50.05.jpg
2019-10-13 18.51.23.jpg
2019-10-13 18.50.41.jpg

He wanted it to look old and un-messed with...went back together with limited cleaning, and a little helpful patina work.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, the next one on the list, 28 Sport Coupe. This was a daily driver until about three years ago. The owner and his early 20's son, one or the other for 5 years. Motor is getting swapped out, due to some excessive blow by, and painting the fenders and splash aprons to start...
2019-10-14 16.54.20.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, got it up, and started gutting it like a fish. Some more work than just a motor swap. Going to be blowing apart the trans to reseal it while the motor is out, as well as more little stuff. Be starting on minor body work and paint stuff pretty quick.
2019-10-18 09.23.22.jpg

Now, this being a boating site...took a picture of the motor. It has Eddie Meyer parts...he did stuff for boats as well. If you look at the logo on the intake, there is a boat and a roadster. See, I'll tie it in;)
2019-10-18 09.21.58.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Chitty 2.0 is progressing. The fenders and splash aprons were all light grey primer...made them look like glass ones. My job is to make them look "right", as was told to me by the owner. Well, today I started playing with some matte blacks and various shades of dirt enamels...I'll see how this flies;)

Also picked me up a new old toy. It was cheap, complete (ish) and the tubes warmed up and worked. Old cars, old tools. Wanted it for the scope...easier to find stuff like cracked Bakelite distributor caps and wonky rotors and shafts.
2019-10-18 21.47.29.jpg