WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Choosing wheel size - 2012 Ram Cummins

XX14

Reaction score
Need to pick the brain of some of the truck guys. Soon I'll be buying new wheels and tires for the Ram and I'm putting some thought into wheel size. The truck came with 18" wheels and when it was time to replace tires I got a really good deal on some Longhorn 20" wheels with take off rubber. Been riding those for 60k and it's almost time to change. I like the wheels but they rub at full lock turning so I'm going to change offset. The truck is going to get leveled not lifted. So...

What goes into the choice of wheel diameter? The truck is a daily driver and tows my boat. Not much use in the way of off-roading. I have heard that the larger the wheel the rougher the ride but I haven't really noticed that with the 20's I have. I'm going to go to 35's, currently has 33's. I know this is going to alter the gear ratios and I'll lose some mpg. What say you about making the diameter call for the wheels?

XX14

Reaction score
Wheel width will likely be 10". What's the advantage to the 17 or 18" wheel?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Wheel width will likely be 10". What's the advantage to the 17 or 18" wheel?
Tires are generally cheaper, maybe a tiny bit better ride, better performance when aired down off-roading.
And most importantly it will look much better.
I think 20’s with 35’s look like shit. But to each thier own.

You can use google images to see the difference.
For leveling kit use Carli.

Rchandless

Reaction score
Had 20s with a 35 1250 20 and did not like the way the truck felt in regards to ride, power, and just overall stability. Ended up down sizing to a 315-70-17 and just feels a lot better than previous setup. Running a 17x9 with a -12 offset. And as stated above way easier on the pocket in regards to tire and wheel price as well.
20170823_210412.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You can run 35’s with a 3” (front) lift. That was what I ran with my Carli setup, I was in stock 17’s.

IMHO no larger than 18’s for sure.

I ran Toyo MT’s at 42psi front / 38 psi rear when empty, was really the perfect truck. I regret selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro