WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chris Stapleton I don’t get it?

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
The music from yesteryear was the best.
New music sucks.

Welcome to becoming your parents.
I’ll make it a point to stay off your lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lmao! I guess your right...

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Reckless Kelly
Mickey&the Motorcars
Wade Bowen

Someone mentioned Midland...thats good stuff too...

Big Reckless Kelly fan.

Newer stuff

If your looking for the soul that Country has lost check out The White Buffalo

The cold stares walk the line of blues and country.

The Lonesome Heroes

Colter Wall

Tyler Childers

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Lmao! I guess your right...

Well, there’s good music and bad music.
Some old music is good, some is crap.
Some new music is good, some is crap.

I think we focus on the oldies we like because it’s burned into our memories.

And we don’t remember the old crappy music because , well, why would we? LOL

playdeep

Reaction score
I like Chris Stapleton.
I HATE poseur country(gay Luke Bryan etc.)
There's some real country out there if you know where to look.
Couldn't get it to upload but...
Jerry Jeff Walker's L.A.Freeway
and Gary Stewart's honky tonk anthem "She's acting Single"
2 examples of real country.

C-2

Reaction score
Well, there’s good music and bad music.
Some old music is good, some is crap.
Some new music is good, some is crap.

I think we focus on the oldies we like because it’s burned into our memories.

And we don’t remember the old crappy music because , well, why would we? LOL

I dunno. I can't recall hearing people in the 70's saying music sucked, and it was "not the same as the good ole' days."

We didn't hear "new music sucks" - until it started to suck! :D

Which was about the mid-90's? The eighties was over, hard rock took a nose dive and country had already been waning for years. I think music hit a plateau, there was nothing new to explore as most everything had already been tried and played.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
FYI my name comes from the saying it’s 5oclocksomewhere which came along way before the song because I always have a drink in my hand. FYI Jimmy Buffett in nothing more than a dope smoking liberal fuck! Not a fan of his either.

Gotcha......Your post makes it quite easy to see the attitude that makes your musical tastes so selective.:rolleyes:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Exhibit A! So this is now what is considered country? I’m asking because obviously you are the younger generation and that’s fine . Is this your guys idea of country music just asking?

I'm 38 but I feel yes this is the younger generations version of country.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
7C9AA4D2-D201-4A2E-8537-7F971F8F5622.jpeg
Lol, couldn’t resist. Stapleton’s Parachute hits a nerve for all the BS some of us have endured. He’s earned his space in tje Country Music Hall of fame down the road, no doubt a true musician.

DWC

Reaction score
Same argument has been going on for generations. My grandfather had Fats Domino and Chuck Berry on his record player and hated my dads Jethro Tull/Cats Stevens.

Interesting article on when people stop listening to new music. I was 33 in 2000, not the best year to lock in on. (Except for the Thong song. Who doesn’t love a good song about thongs)
8D50AEB3-9973-4144-BCA5-53322CE840AB.jpeg
913137AF-A40B-45B6-90A6-E4960A2673AE.png

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...If these two chicks would add a Hammond B3 organ with a Leslie(and there is some talk of that)...possibly a second drummer...(not sure if this bass player would cut it)...They could be a Stadium draw...
...As a duo these chicks have been at it 9 nine years...With an older sister...as a trio...they had been at it an additional 4 years...and they are still in their 20’s...
... hopefully they are getting ready to hit the homerun...

Last edited:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I can't stand country music. My parents and all my aunts and uncles forced me to listen to it. That's all they would allow on the radio. I would rather hear train horns than country music.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Spectra18

Reaction score
Here's a list of things I don't want to hear about anymore on new country radio....

-Daddy's tractor
-Jars of home made clear
-painted on jeans that look just right
-back roads
-dropped tailgates
-cold beers that taste just right
-watchiin girls shake it
-"this" corn field
-"that" ole truck
- kicking up mud, dust, dirt, or debris in general

You forgot Bacardi & party.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a list of things I don't want to hear about anymore on new country radio....

-Daddy's tractor
-Jars of home made clear
-painted on jeans that look just right
-back roads
-dropped tailgates
-cold beers that taste just right
-watchiin girls shake it
-"this" corn field
-"that" ole truck
- kicking up mud, dust, dirt, or debris in general
You must love Luke Bryan lol

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This thread is dumb...

Music is what touches your soul. Makes you feel alive, sometimes happy and sometimes sad.

Every song is different, just like every soul is different. No two of us here are the same.

To criticize someone's taste is fucking lame. Or to criticize an artist? Also lame.

We love what we love for our own personal reasons. And that's the great thing about music, it's all different. Just like us.

:thumbup:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Amen, gangster.

This thread is dumb...

Music is what touches your soul. Makes you feel alive, sometimes happy and sometimes sad.

Every song is different, just like every soul is different. No two of us here are the same.

To criticize someone's taste is fucking lame. Or to criticize an artist? Also lame.

We love what we love for our own personal reasons. And that's the great thing about music, it's all different. Just like us.

C-2

Reaction score
This thread is dumb...

So, does this mean you're getting an iPhone :D

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
So @5oclocksomewhere interesting story for you...

Today I picked up a new to me, pos, cheapo, daily driver Prius with a ton of miles (see my thread about hybrids, lol).

In Anaheim, a Middle Eastern guy that hardly spoke any English sold it to me. When I picked it up and gave him the cash, I saw that he had left some quarters in there, so I asked him I'd he wanted to go through the car one last time. He said "no, my friend, but I put $2000 for the buying price..."

I left with the car (my son dropped me off) and I looked in the glovebox and found and empty red bull can, a pen, and a Chris Stapleton burned cd. Who the fuck woulda thought.

I plopped it in, as I sat on the 91 in traffic (wtf is up with traffic on a Saturday afternoon?). And I listened to a couple of songs on the burned cd--I thought to myself Stapleton is country, but he's overrated . His version of Tennessee Whiskey is mediocre, and it lags far behind George Jone's version, let alone DAC's. And then I heard:

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
He's 40. How legendary can he be? :confused: So he wrote a bunch of shit for Brooks and that newbie crowd?

Just givin ya some shit... I like all sorts of music, and all sorts of country, but legendary is a stretch...when you consider who the real legends are in country music. :)
He has over 150 songs recorded by artists from Adelle to Sheryl Crow, Joss Stone, George Strait, Blake Shelton, Alan Jackson just to name a few. He is a legendary song writer then crosses al genres. Whether people like him or not, he is an unarguable talent.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
This thread is dumb...

But first, we must define music vs useless noise.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score

Sorry, ^^^. Wrong thread, but somehow relevant nonetheless...

There is new great CM out there, and Stapleton in one of the good ones.

Last edited:

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
The music from yesteryear was the best.
New music sucks.

Welcome to becoming your parents.
I’ll make it a point to stay off your lawn.

There's some solid physiology and psychology at work here. Grossly oversimplified, we all have an affection for things that we liked when we went through adolescence and early adulthood because our brains got hardwired for it. An individuals formative years become their personal definition of "classic". I work in design, and we leverage the hell out of the target demographic's teenage years. Works every time.

The impact of the blues on most forms of popular music is too deep to uncover in a few sentences. Fundamental song structure (the timing, chord progressions, and verse/refrain pattern) for most genres on the radio is all based in the blues. It may not sound like a blues artist, but the framework is in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Expiredwalnut

Reaction score
Down here in TX on a trip. This guy who screams in a microphone sounds like he’s squeezing out a shit is on every station. I get it, all the new country guys think this guy is country. He is only blues (which I hate) if he’s lucky. New country sucks period but is this what people think is country now? Fuck I gotta go clean me ears now!!!
I actually disagree. I don't like Stapleton. Stapleton isn't good at all. But I would encourage you to listen to Colter Wall and Tyler Childers. They are the only modern country artists I like and in my opinion those two are pretty good. Maybe check em out

playdeep

Reaction score
I actually disagree. I don't like Stapleton. Stapleton isn't good at all. But I would encourage you to listen to Colter Wall and Tyler Childers. They are the only modern country artists I like and in my opinion those two are pretty good. Maybe check em out
How about...
Cody Jinks
Hayes Caryll
Chris Knight
Joshua Hedley
Drive by Truckers

There's some good(real) country out there.
Just not easy finding them unfortunately.

Expiredwalnut

Reaction score
How about...
Cody Jinks
Hayes Caryll
Chris Knight
Joshua Hedley
Drive by Truckers

There's some good(real) country out there.
Just not easy finding them unfortunately.
I haven't heard Cody jinks but I've heard he's not that great. But yes it is unfortunate. No one appreciates these guys. Most people I showed them to don't like these guys. Anyway, thank you for those suggestions I'll check them out

USMC2010

Reaction score
My girlfriend loves CS's music. I think it's alright but the new country is nothing like the stuff I grew up on.

pronstar

Reaction score
Haven’t read the entire thread...has anyone mentioned Casey Donahew Band?

One of my faves, they kick ass [emoji106]

236eagledave

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KevinR

Reaction score
Cody Jinks is awesome. Expired you should listen to him for your self and decide.

Seen Chris Stapleton and loved the show. Singing and guitar.

When we saw Whitey Morgan in November at The Roxy, Alex Williams played in front of him. Sounded good but only recently bought his album. Great!

A2F3DF3E-35EB-4D0B-BA57-5F1BC7A69C3F.jpeg

J.P.

Reaction score
I thought Chris Stapleton sucked when I first heard him and even when sang with Timberlake on the awards show. Then I ran across a couple of his songs on youtube with an acoustic guitar and a mic and said wow this mf'er can sing.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Colter Wall, ever since I heard Sleeping on Blacktop in "Hell or High Water".

pronstar

Reaction score
Gethen Jenkins , whitey Morgan , Sturgill Simpson, blackberry smoke, Cody jinks, colter wall, Jamey Johnson. Lots of good country shit today. Stay away from country fm radio and stagecoach.

If you have Amazon Music, their Whitey Morgan and the 78’s station, and their Blackberry Smoke station, play a great mix of those artists (and other similar ones).

I like Amazon Music because I don’t recall ever hearing repeats in the same day. And they stream at 256 kbps

bocco

Reaction score
Damn three pages to settle blues vs country. There is a big difference between the two. In blues if your woman leaves she takes your Cadillac. In country when she leaves she takes your truck and maybe your dog. Now considering the value of today's trucks the dog now becomes the deciding factor.

And as far as Tennessee Whisky goes, this video shows how he got everything but the words to that song.