WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Christmas lamb

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
This is a long tradition in my wife's family and now ours, we have leg of lamb for dinner on Christmas. It is pretty easy to prepare, and in all honesty I prefer this to the standing rib roast we do on Thanksgiving. There's a million different ways to prepare these cuts and lamb is pretty forgiving on technique.

We start with a half leg, de-boned. right off the bat that creates a little controversy, losing the bone takes away some flavor, but I'm lazy and it is easier to carve at the end. I've fixed these both bone in and boneless and I can't really tell the difference. This is about 5 lbs of meat before trimming. A full leg is 10 lbs. A half feeds my family of 4 with plenty of leftovers for sandwiches. And damn, lamb sandwiches or outstanding.

The butcher de-boned the leg and then trusses it up, I pull off the twine and set it aside, I'll use it later. Then I trim all of the fat cap off the leg. This again is a choice, a lot of the gamey flavor of lamb comes from the fat. If you like that taste, you can skip the trim.

PXL_20221225_182006663.jpg

Here it is with the trimming done. Still lots of intermuscular fat for flavor. I forgot a before pic, but essentially the whole top of the roast is covered in a layer of fat. The trimmings are behind the roast.

Next comes the rub. I use a wet rub for the lamb. Equal parts olive oil and Dijon mustard, combines with three or four big cloves of garlic finally chopped, and a couple of tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary. You want enough rub to cover the leg, I start with a three tablespoons of Dijon and olive oil, then combine the with garlic and rosemary. Finish it off with a good helping of salt and pepper to taste. You want enough to coat the lamb inside and out, just make more I need it.

Start by opening up the leg and apply the wet rub on the inside.

PXL_20221225_182138687.jpg

Then I roll the leg back up and apply the rest of the rub to the outside, all over. Finish up by retrussing the roast, which is why I save the butcher twin from the beginning.

PXL_20221225_182530632.MP.jpg

And now we let the roast rest for a couple of hours to let the salt in the rub do its thing. I did this all at noon today and this will go in the oven at 4pm, it will be closer to room temp by that time as well.

Cooking time is about 20 minutes per pound at 375. That's for medium rare, we like it a little more on the bloody side and cook to an internal temp of 120, about 15 minutes per pound. If you notice the is a big muscle on one side of the roast, that is where the thermometer probe will go.

So now we wait till later this afternoon. Stay tooned!
PXL_20221225_182903307.MP.jpg

ricky e

Reaction score
This is a long tradition in my wife's family and now ours, we have leg of lamb for dinner on Christmas. It is pretty easy to prepare, and in all honesty I prefer this to the standing rib roast we do on Thanksgiving. There's a million different ways to prepare these cuts and lamb is pretty forgiving on technique.

We start with a half leg, de-boned. right off the bat that creates a little controversy, losing the bone takes away some flavor, but I'm lazy and it is easier to carve at the end. I've fixed these both bone in and boneless and I can't really tell the difference. This is about 5 lbs of meat before trimming. A full leg is 10 lbs. A half feeds my family of 4 with plenty of leftovers for sandwiches. And damn, lamb sandwiches or outstanding.

The butcher de-boned the leg and then trusses it up, I pull off the twine and set it aside, I'll use it later. Then I trim all of the fat cap off the leg. This again is a choice, a lot of the gamey flavor of lamb comes from the fat. If you like that taste, you can skip the trim.

View attachment 1183458

Here it is with the trimming done. Still lots of intermuscular fat for flavor. I forgot a before pic, but essentially the whole top of the roast is covered in a layer of fat. The trimmings are behind the roast.

Next comes the rub. I use a wet rub for the lamb. Equal parts olive oil and Dijon mustard, combines with three or four big cloves of garlic finally chopped, and a couple of tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary. You want enough rub to cover the leg, I start with a three tablespoons of Dijon and olive oil, then combine the with garlic and rosemary. Finish it off with a good helping of salt and pepper to taste. You want enough to coat the lamb inside and out, just make more I need it.

Start by opening up the leg and apply the wet rub on the inside.

View attachment 1183459

Then I roll the leg back up and apply the rest of the rub to the outside, all over. Finish up by retrussing the roast, which is why I save the butcher twin from the beginning.

View attachment 1183461

And now we let the roast rest for a couple of hours to let the salt in the rub do its thing. I did this all at noon today and this will go in the oven at 4pm, it will be closer to room temp by that time as well.

Cooking time is about 20 minutes per pound at 375. That's for medium rare, we like it a little more on the bloody side and cook to an internal temp of 120, about 15 minutes per pound. If you notice the is a big muscle on one side of the roast, that is where the thermometer probe will go.

So now we wait till later this afternoon. Stay tooned! View attachment 1183462

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
And we are done with cooking. It was going fast at 375 so I turned the oven down to 350 and we came in right at the time I planned.

Yes, two thermometers, the analog one was to double check the roast was were I wanted it. Now it rests until we are ready to eat in a little while.

PXL_20221225_231105232.jpg

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
that is absolutely beautiful and my favorite as well!

Merry Chritmas!!!
Merry Christmas to you too!

I hadn't really eaten lamb until I met my wife, at least I didn't realize it. The first time we had a leg of lamb I was like, this tastes kind of like elk! I just grew up on the game meat, LOL.

Now it is one of our (my) favorites. A great way to cook these is lay them open, season all over with salt and pepper then throw them on a scorching hot grill for about 8 minutes a side. Comes out perfect, we cook them a couple time a summer.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Here is what it looks like all done. Like I said we like it on the rate side of medium,-rare, cook it another 15 minutes for a solid medium-rare or 20-25 minutes for medium. Anything more than that and the roast dries out.

PXL_20221225_235230907.jpg

Roosky01

Reaction score
I've never been able to acquire the taste for lamb, but that looks outstanding, Sir!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you too!

I hadn't really eaten lamb until I met my wife, at least I didn't realize it. The first time we had a leg of lamb I was like, this tastes kind of like elk! I just grew up on the game meat, LOL.

Now it is one of our (my) favorites. A great way to cook these is lay them open, season all over with salt and pepper then throw them on a scorching hot grill for about 8 minutes a side. Comes out perfect, we cook them a couple time a summer.
I never had it growing up.
Never knew if I liked it till Covid hit and the meat rack at the store was otherwise empty.
Lamb or grass fed beef going for $12 a pound.

I bought both as it was that or ramen for the unforeseeable future😂

Was pleasantly surprised and is now something we do on occasion.