WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Chrome" Powder Coat

shunter2005

Reaction score
Has anyone had anything powder coated with chrome powder? I have been reading reviews, some good and some bad. If so, how did your item come out. Also, which brand powder gives the best chrome look? Have been looking at Caswell, Prismatic and Eastwood powders.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Whatcha powder coating in chrome?

boatpi

Reaction score
We haven’t got into that because it’s not needed for a patio cover material but we recently got some information from our supplier that they’ve come out with a better wood grain process and give it a 10 year warranty. We’re gonna look at and do some testing.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
My brother did his fender well headers on his Jeep, 10+ years ago. Slight discoloration near the heads from the heat. Its held up suprisingly well. It's more of a silverish than chrome.

Dan'l

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I had several parts on my race car done with it. The parachute mounts came out really nice. It was solid round bar that was machined and pinned in behind the license plate, right above the chrome bumper. I also did the battery mounts. They were ok, not as shiny. They were made out of solid steel plate (the car was really light and there was a “max ballast“ rule). I think the finish of the material you’re coating and how they apply it is key. The guy who did mine doesn’t do it anymore I’m told.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Isn’t chrome powder coating called PVD? That used to be the “environmentally friendly” way to make wheels look like chrome. I don’t hear much about it anymore.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Polish them, then have them clear coated
I was going to, but I found that the metal was pitted enough that it would take forever to get them smooth. I got them looking much better after sanding them with some 100 grit paper. However, it would take a long time to sand the small pitting out of them to get them right. So, I have decided to have them powdercoated. I was told by several powder coaters that polished aluminum, even with clear coat (which is required) will dull down and have to be re done in a short amount of time. Chrome will dull down a little when clear is put on, as well.

When I had them stripped last week, I was surprised to find the top plate had been sandblasted prior to the current purple PC as it should have been. However, the bottom plate was not sandblasted and was obviously polished. There was some corrosion from the batteries and the polished aluminum was definitely corrupted.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
prismatic makes some pretty impressive metalic powders. You just need to find a shop that knows how to apply them correctly.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
You can reach out to prismatic and get color samples. I’ll text you the link gramps, I’d go for a silver vs a chrome tho. The chromes sometimes lay down with waves in it. Just do them purple already.

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
It’s ok , the rollbar was done , it’s called extreme chrome , 2 step process
E572D353-B6D5-4AEE-81D5-40D73A14B8A1.jpeg

shunter2005

Reaction score
Below are a few pics of the before, stripped and after. I am liking this chrome powder coat. In the "stripped" pics (#4 and 5) after chem stripping you can see that the bottom sections and the upright pieces of the boxes were not prepared correctly for PC. They didn't even knock the shine off before they coated them. No fault of anyone but the original place that PC'ed them.

These boxes came out pretty nice. Not perfect, due to some pitting, but most of the pitting was on the bottom side of the bottom of the boxes. The chrome look is dulled down a little, because of the clear coat. Overall, I am pleased with the way they turned out.

Sorry, before pics didn't post. They are at the bottom.

Attachments

• STRIPPED 1.JPEG
    STRIPPED 1.JPEG
    242.2 KB · Views: 101
  • STRIPPED 2.JPEG
    STRIPPED 2.JPEG
    237.2 KB · Views: 113
  • AFTER 4.JPEG
    AFTER 4.JPEG
    189.4 KB · Views: 116
  • AFTER 3.JPEG
    AFTER 3.JPEG
    207.8 KB · Views: 122
  • AFTER 2.JPEG
    AFTER 2.JPEG
    205.6 KB · Views: 118
  • AFTER 1.JPEG
    AFTER 1.JPEG
    173.5 KB · Views: 117
  • BEFORE 1.JPEG
    BEFORE 1.JPEG
    201.1 KB · Views: 104
  • BEFORE 2.JPEG
    BEFORE 2.JPEG
    167.2 KB · Views: 97
  • BEFORE 4.JPEG
    BEFORE 4.JPEG
    219.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
Looks Great!!!

I was thinking of getting my trailer fenders powder coated in a chrome color last year. I gave it some serious thought and just went with getting them re-done in white. I liked the chrome powder coat look (still susceptible to chipping from road debris) there just not as durable as a chrome fender...