WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Churnin up the Cove at the Tom Papp Memorial..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Let me 1st off say it was a great turn out, and a lot of nice folks showed up to it.. In typical fashion though it only takes a couple of Dill Holes to screw it up for everyone..

Last year a couple guys would pair off, make a pass, everyone would patiently wait, and then a couple other guys would pair off and make a pass.

This year, you got guys running around the cove 1/2 on plane to get lined up. As much as the jet boat guys bitch about Wakeboard boats, I have never witnessed the complete cluelessness by a group of people regardless of genre of boat, but I was flat shocked to see a bunch of low freeboard jetboat guys doing it to each other.

Two guys would pair off, and a third guy would swing into the mix 1/2 on plane and run with them.. 4 wide.. WTF? 5 wide? r u slow or something?

It would seem it's the same no matter what the group.. You can have 500 people somewhere and 4 or 5 guys will ruin it for everyone..

I would post pictures of all the bad ass hardware, but I never got an opportunity to take any.

You see we pulled in and figured we'd be smarter then the average bears and park at the end of the cove behind where everybody was running.. I.E. No wakes behind the staging area, and we wouldn't have to worry about the boat..

Well this "nice guy" right here decides to cruise by the beach on plane about 15' away from the boat..

attachment.php

The 1st time you gotta just say "Really?"

The 2nd time he decided 15' was too far away for us to see his coolness, so he made it 10'ish feet.. It was this time, I had to run into the water fully clothed to grab said boat and push it back over so it didn't hit the boat next to us.

I borrowed these pictures from another thread on the forum.

attachment.php

The 3rd time is was like WTF?

The 4th time we decided to leave.

On a second note, the 733 Flat Bottom, I've seen you in Parker a few times, and even talked to you once or twice. You seem like a smart guy with a nice boat.. That boat is only going to tell you it doesn't like that shit so many times before it spits you out of it.

Truth be told I don't give a shit if it spits you out or not, that's your decision.. But when you're laying that thing on it's side / pass after pass / and staying in it, you're not just endangering yourself.. If that thing hooks a chine and ends up on the beach (a crowded beach) then you're going to end up hurting someone else. Several people moved boats from the point to further back in the cove and cited your boat as the reason.

In short, You're pushing the wrong pedal, there's a down pedal.. Learn it, know it.. Use it.

DSC_1084.jpg

The sad thing is historically everyone will blame booze, or whatever. Everything we saw, the guys weren't drinking, they never got out of the boats long enough to have a beer.. Nobody was wearing jackets, and the vast majority were acting like complete dill holes..

On a possitive note, whoever owns this boat, thank you to being a shiny example of how to behave / drive / at something like this. Your boat ran bitchen / sounded bitchen (wasn't popping like 95% of the other ones), you waited your turn, and made passes safely.

DSC_1076.jpg

attachment.php

I realize this thread comes off harsh, but I hope the few people that were complete jackasses get the clue, and don't ruin it for everyone next year.. Someone has got to say something, or they'll never know.

I'm not sure if I'll be back next year or not.. I do know that I'm stoked I didn't tow my boat all the way back from Parker for it.

RD

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score
lol dave but so true that scorpion belongs to nick if im right and he goes by the screen name mad skills cause he makes those sheetmetal scoops:thumbsup

Reaction score
Pretty fucking shitty that guys have to act like complete assholes and ruin the day for everyone. From what i gather its suppose to be a celebration of life not a cluster fuck.

On a side note, WATER LOOKS COLD johnson:D:D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty fucking shitty that guys have to act like complete assholes and ruin the day for everyone. From what i gather its suppose to be a celebration of life not a cluster fuck.

On a side note, WATER LOOKS COLD johnson:D:D

All that noise and no speed...... I would be pissed too :p they should put props on those things so they can go fast and not just sound fast.

Reaction score
All that noise and no speed...... I would be pissed too :p they should put props on those things so they can go fast and not just sound fast.
Says the closet jetboater himself. :D:D:D

randyjet

Reaction score
I have never heard you so mad at fellow boaters Dave must have been a bad time to get you this excited. I have always wished there was a way to permantly slow down those 15 feet off the transom boaters. I worked on a gun that would cook electrical systems you aimed it at maybe it would be good to carry one of them. Point pull trigger and electronics cooked for no apparent reason problem solved.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
The sad part is, its guys like these that will put and end to this event and any others like it in the future. Unless people start self governing the Govt will step in and do it for us :thumbsdown

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Sounds like a good day turned shitty by a few.

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
glad I was out of vacation days, that would have sucked to drive that distance and see all the BS. So who's the tool in the yellow boat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
glad I was out of vacation days, that would have sucked to drive that distance and see all the BS. So who's the tool in the yellow boat?

No idea.. Says GS Marine on the back corners of the boat though. During one of his passes, someone said "There's mr. njba himself." I don't know what that meant and didn't care to find out.

I don't have any problem with the guy, I was just kinda shocked that someone that looked to have their shit together, and had a nice boat like that, would be on plane 10 -15' away off the transom's of beached boats..

Overall the TP memorial was fun again this year, I don't want to put a completely sour note to it. A lot of good peeps, had a good time, and I believe Tom Papp's memory was honored by many.

I wish that people would remember though that it is in fact a "memorial" for Tom Papp, and would take a minute to reflect on that. Maybe share some stories, or put some pictures on a board with some stories so that those that didn't know him would get a chance to know what he was all about, and why he was such an influence on the jet community, and boating community as a whole. I personally didn't know him, and would like the opportunity to know more about him, then I already do.. Or at least shake his families hand and tell them thanks for his contributions to the sport.

RD

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
Ive been to this event twice now had to mis out this year but from what Daves saying there must have been a bunch of neebies,Last year was great and never got out of control most everyone wore jackets and a lot of njba guys there Iam with Dave on this one takes a few to ruin this event
Tommy would like that at all rip old friend.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ive been to this event twice now had to mis out this year but from what Daves saying there must have been a bunch of neebies,Last year was great and never got out of control most everyone wore jackets and a lot of njba guys there Iam with Dave on this one takes a few to ruin this event
Tommy would like that at all rip old friend.

Last year was bitchen.. I hope that it returns to that same cool vibe next year.

RD

steveo143

Reaction score
I don't think I saw one 'real' life jacket on any of these clowns except when Tony S drove the 733 boat. At CFW we have a small group called the 'Regulators' that promote safety first, both personal as far as wearing proper safety gear, and boat rigging. Something needs to be done to educate the 'young and dumb' cause Shit does happen! I have been to this event since the beginning, last year was great, this year, not so much. This event was meant to honor the memory of a man that contributed so much to the boating world, RIP Tom Papp.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I saw one 'real' life jacket on any of these clowns except when Tony S drove the 733 boat. At CFW we have a small group called the 'Regulators' that promote safety first, both personal as far as wearing proper safety gear, and boat rigging. Something needs to be done to educate the 'young and dumb' cause Shit does happen! I have been to this event since the beginning, last year was great, this year, not so much. This event was meant to honor the memory of a man that contributed so much to the boating world, RIP Tom Papp.

Was Tony the one driving the 733 boat and putting it up on the side? He seems to like doing that :p:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
And there it is..

[video=youtube;-AWVtCBX7SE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWVtCBX7SE[/video]

RD

Just Electric

Reaction score
i think someone just needs to get a bullhorn and yell at the idiots so the crowd can get involved to help teach them:D

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Wow, Definately something wrong with the setup on the 733 boat.. or the driver just ran out of talent. Why he would do it over and over is beyond me, kind of embarassing I would think. I wonder if the guy with the yellow boat just has some really tall gears in it. Some flattys dont really idle that slow, can be a pain in the ass! Just my .02

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wow, Definately something wrong with the setup on the 733 boat.. or the driver just ran out of talent. Why he would do it over and over is beyond me, kind of embarassing I would think. I wonder if the guy with the yellow boat just has some really tall gears in it. Some flattys dont really idle that slow, can be a pain in the ass! Just my .02

The yellow boat was a jet Marko.. LOL..

RD

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Oops..... ok , so the guys a tool then. :p

76 Bonneville

Reaction score
I believe the driver of the Yellow boat in question is Bob Fry.

I have to admit, I wore a Lifeline jacket for my first 3 passes, but took it off after those. And when running 3 wide, I usually ran the right side outside of the bouys. Also ran some solo runs. This was my first time making passes in the cove. Always idled back.

Every year it's the same 2 and 3 wide. This year the cove was much wider.
Overall had a good time and if you go look at last years complaints there probably the same.

cj222

Reaction score
On a possitive note, whoever owns this boat, thank you to being a shiny example of how to behave / drive / at something like this. Your boat ran bitchen / sounded bitchen (wasn't popping like 95% of the other ones), you waited your turn, and made passes safely.
Dave, Thanks for the compliments! As a compjet racer I have great respect for boats and fellow boaters/racers. I wish that could be said for every boater out there.

Nick (now cj21)

Attachments

• DSC_1076.jpg
    DSC_1076.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 382

cj222

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to get video of my boat making a pass? I would like to know how it sounded from the shore!

NdaWind

Reaction score
I did not realize there was wake at the back of the cove, in years past the racers always speed up a little at the point just to get in the cove but once there they idled, well all but a few, remembering last year and Dave(milkmoney) getting pretty upset about the ones that would splash him. Seems they would be well aware of what they are foing to their fellow freeboard challeged brothers. There were some guys with life jackets even one guy had the full deal with chute.

We stayed on the point with the pontoon and never felt like it was in a danger zone. I love watching these boats race and we got our fill that day unlike formal races where there is always some can of delay (read as beer run). Had a great day and will be back next year.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I believe the driver of the Yellow boat in question is Bob Fry.

I have to admit, I wore a Lifeline jacket for my first 3 passes, but took it off after those. And when running 3 wide, I usually ran the right side outside of the bouys. Also ran some solo runs. This was my first time making passes in the cove. Always idled back.

Every year it's the same 2 and 3 wide. This year the cove was much wider.
Overall had a good time and if you go look at last years complaints there probably the same.

I didn't have any or see any complaints from last year that I can remember..

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did anyone happen to get video of my boat making a pass? I would like to know how it sounded from the shore!

It sounded good and very different. Like a lower revving Indy car.

RD

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Maybe arm a few elders with paintball guns to regulate the fools! That just sucks! I would like to come someday as Papp did the bottom of my boat originally in `84 if I remember right. Have to look at the reciept. Watching stuff like this makes me really appreciate the lake I'm on where you can go all day and maybe see a dozen other boats. Hope next year plays out a bit safer and with some warmer weather for you guys.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I did not realize there was wake at the back of the cove, in years past the racers always speed up a little at the point just to get in the cove but once there they idled, well all but a few, remembering last year and Dave(milkmoney) getting pretty upset about the ones that would splash him. Seems they would be well aware of what they are foing to their fellow freeboard challeged brothers. There were some guys with life jackets even one guy had the full deal with chute.

We stayed on the point with the pontoon and never felt like it was in a danger zone. I love watching these boats race and we got our fill that day unlike formal races where there is always some can of delay (read as beer run). Had a great day and will be back next year.

there you go scott throwing me under the bus again, everybody knows if i get a water spot on my boat i get upset(your word not mine)....i have sold my jet boat, still made the drive from vegas though to pay my respects and to see some ol friends that i dont get to see much anymore and maybe meet some new ones.....on my way home i felt jus like everybody describes here, jus wasnt the same as past..no reason to repeat what everybody else said, other than wake the fock up and get some respect or stay home so you dont ruin this great event...:thumbsup

rivrat34

Reaction score
Yeah I was there as my first time, i was very aware of some idiots speed in to the back of cove. In my thoughts, what if something went bad, most likely throttle got stuck.. how are they going to prevent from wrecking into other boats at beaches?

Anyhow, I had an all right time there, i did yelled at this idiot made u turn right in front of west corner cove caused wakes so big got few boats bumping into eachother..

Hopefully next time we let patrols know or something so they can slow these fool asses down coming into the cove.. or why dont we have a platoon parked in middle of south cove to have them lined up if they want to drag race?

cave

Reaction score
If the TPM goes down next year, Someone better step up and post a does and donts.
sad that you have to do this but if its to continue those who attend should know whats up and acceptable.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If the TPM goes down next year, Someone better step up and post a does and donts.
sad that you have to do this but if its to continue those who attend should know whats up and acceptable.

I think the do's and don'ts were posted here and on PB by now.

RD

MBeck

Reaction score
Yeah I was there as my first time, i was very aware of some idiots speed in to the back of cove. In my thoughts, what if something went bad, most likely throttle got stuck.. how are they going to prevent from wrecking into other boats at beaches?

Anyhow, I had an all right time there, i did yelled at this idiot made u turn right in front of west corner cove caused wakes so big got few boats bumping into eachother..

Hopefully next time we let patrols know or something so they can slow these fool asses down coming into the cove.. or why dont we have a platoon parked in middle of south cove to have them lined up if they want to drag race?

How can you tell when a jet boats throttle gets stuck?

Relax.. I'm kidding:D

cave

Reaction score
I think the do's and don'ts were posted here and on PB by now.

RD

Yes Dave but by next year there will be more newbies that may not of read through any threads.

If I do something wrong at one of these get togethers I'd like to know so I don't do it again. Like when I go to parker and cut Greg off. :D Is that wrong? Or when I roll up on coz while hes wake surfin,,, :D Please let me know if that was wrong.

I know Greg will just plow on through and coz, he'll prolly just to a wave jump into the boat and say hit cave, is this all shes got.lol :bash:

As far as i can see the only boat getin outa hand was a V drive, 733. I didnt see a pic of the jet woith a broken sterring. If so put them up so they know they were in the wrong. Like Dave did with the Champ.

NdaWind

Reaction score
I wonder how many of those guys don't do internet let alone boards. So I be thinking a nice flyer about Tommy, his life and accomplishments type of deal followed at the bottom with some do's and dont's. Pass it out at the marina at checkin booth and at the cove. Another flyer, big lettering simply saying ASSHOLE READ the OTHER FLYER for the guys who do the dont's.

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
I wonder how many of those guys don't do internet let alone boards. So I be thinking a nice flyer about Tommy, his life and accomplishments type of deal followed at the bottom with some do's and dont's. Pass it out at the marina at checkin booth and at the cove. Another flyer, big lettering simply saying ASSHOLE READ the OTHER FLYER for the guys who do the dont's.

You could but those were the idiots that did not pay and would not get the memo anyways and brag about not paying LOL!:bang:s

75 Spectra V-Drive

Gas dock greg fueler
Reaction score
Yes Dave but by next year there will be more newbies that may not of read through any threads.

If I do something wrong at one of these get togethers I'd like to know so I don't do it again. Like when I go to parker and cut Greg off. :D Is that wrong? Or when I roll up on coz while hes wake surfin,,, :D Please let me know if that was wrong.

I know Greg will just plow on through and coz, he'll prolly just to a wave jump into the boat and say hit cave, is this all shes got.lol :bash:

As far as i can see the only boat getin outa hand was a V drive, 733. I didnt see a pic of the jet woith a broken sterring. If so put them up so they know they were in the wrong. Like Dave did with the Champ.

:lmao plow on through :rotflmao:

Just Electric

Reaction score

good idea but more trash to have to pick up:thumbsdown half the people didnt remember the rule about packing there trash and taking it with you hell they even gave you a trash bag when you paid for parking and launching fees

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
good idea but more trash to have to pick up:thumbsdown half the people didnt remember the rule about packing there trash and taking it with you hell they even gave you a trash bag when you paid for parking and launching fees

Hey JE most of the people did not pay so they did not get their trash bag.
PLOW ON THROUGH!