WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cieling fan wiring help

Justfishing

Reaction score
Replacing a ceiling fan and need help.

The old ceiling fan had a single switch and it used pull chains to operate the light and fan.

In the switch box and ceiling box there are 2 sets of romex. Red/black/white and balck/white.

With all the wires disconnected the hot wire is in the ceiling box.

The black/red/white bundle have continuity between switch and ceiling boxes.

The black hot wire in the ceiling does not have continuity to the black wire in the switch box.

I bought a combined switch that has control for the fan and light in a single unit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harbor-Bre...versal-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Control/1000013920#

The switch has a black line feed in. Then a black motor and blue out wires.
wiring diagram.jpg
should the black line feed be hot?

The fan has a blue light wire and black motor wire.

How do i wire this

rrrr

Reaction score
Confirm the circuit is deenergized.

You will not be using the black/white Romex in the wall box, only the red/black/white. If the black/white in the wall box was previously connected to the red/white/black Romex this ain't gonna work.

Connect the hot black in the ceiling box to the black wire of the red/black/white Romex routed to the wall switch. Leave the white wire unconnected.

This part is important. Using blue electrical tape, completely wrap the exposed white wire sections in the boxes of the red/black/white Romex running from the ceiling to the wall box. Do not connect it to the other white wire in the ceiling box! You are changing its function, and it MUST be identified differently. It is now a blue wire. Make sure you understand the white wire of the red/black/white Romex running from the ceiling box to the wall box is now a blue wire.

Connect the black wire of the red/black/blue Romex in the wall box to the black input wire of the switch you bought.

Connect the blue wire of the switch to the blue wire running back to the ceiling box.

Connect the black motor wire of the switch to the red wire of the Romex going back to the ceiling box.

Connect the blue wire from the light switch/ceiling box run to the blue light wire of the fan.

Connect the red wire from the fan switch/ceiling box run to the black motor wire of the fan.

Connect the white wire of the hot black and white Romex in the ceiling box to the white neutral wire of the fan.

Connect the bare ground wire of the Romex in the wall switch box to the ground screw of the switch. Tie the bare ground wires together in the ceiling box, and also connect the ground wire of the fan to the ground wires in the ceiling box.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
If you don't understand this, ask questions.

You didn't say if the white/black Romex in the wall box was connected to the red/black/white Romex in any way. If it is, what I posted above is not right.

I should know better than playing internet electrician.

Last edited:

Justfishing

Reaction score
Let me explain how it was. Just a single pole standard light switch controled the on/off. Pull chains on fan ran light and fan when switch was on.

In the switch box the 2 blacks were combined and a pigtail to the switch. The red wire was attached to switch. The whites twisted together.

I think it was the red wire that then energized the fan. The light and motor wires were atrached to the red wire.

I started by installing the new switch. I uncoupled the black wires in the switch box an determined the hot wire. I used that for the line IN on the new switch. The other black and red wires were connected to the motor and light out wires to fan

It wasnt until i got to do the fan that i realized the hot wire originated in the celing.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking when I posted it might not work. The black and white in the Romex are powering another load connected to the other Romex in the box, and the red was used to power the old fan and its pull chain switches.

Without another conductor you can't make your new switch work. I didn't notice the second Romex was in the wall box until after I had written my novel above.

rrrr

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be time to buy a remote for the fan/light ;)

They make those? :eek:

I was busy writing away, and right at the end noticed he said there was another Romex in the box. :oops:

WYRD

Reaction score
You need to hook it up like it was previously and get a different wall controller with remote module wired in the fan canopy. The one you have will not work due to the load continuing from the wall as noted above. If you don't connect that back something downstream will not work. Wiring instructions for module will be included with unit, if you don't understand them hire an electrician to install for you.

rrrr

Reaction score
I hate putting up ceiling fans.

Be glad you weren't around in the early 80s. Every ceiling box in houses were being hung with ugly brass and dark wood Hunter fans, and disco wasn't dead yet. :D

bocco

Reaction score

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Be glad you weren't around in the early 80s. Every ceiling box in houses were being hung with ugly brass and dark wood Hunter fans, and disco wasn't dead yet. :D

I just took one of those down. Had to get scaffolding to do it! Didn't rate high on my fun meter.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Problem solved! I bought fans from a local company that provides free installation

Justfishing

Reaction score
It sounds like i have 3 options.
1) return the light wiring to original.
2) after returning to original add a wireless control ot get a fan with one.

3) run a single wire from hot wire in ceiling. Combine it with the one black wire and add a pigtail to feed switch. Then use the black red as the wires for switch to have seperate fan and light control. I see the biggest problem being getting the wire inside the switch box. I have easy accessfrom above