WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Class 5 Unlimited Bajas..... Anyone have one? Let's see em

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Chip when do I get to drive it offroad?:hmm That thing looks SICK AS HELL.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...A long time friend of mine, Gary Emory, built the first Baja Bug in about '68... ...Volkswagen used it a bunch for billboard and magazine advertisements... ...He still has it... ...His son in law rolled it many years ago and as far as I know it is still used and he has no intentions of restoring it...(battle scars are in)...

420751.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just picked this one up. It's built like a brick shit house. FAT performance 1915 with UMP air filter connected to dual 44 Webers, beefed up bus tranny, 3x3 rear, Fox w/remote bypass, front pushed out 6" and widened 3", Cal plated, 4 wheel Wilwood disc, bead locks, full cage, radio, headsets, Jaz fuel cell, Mastercraft seats with Cal DOT DJ 5 points, etc... It's a runner, it's fresh and should be a great car. No expense was spared.

yhuhanyp.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new hot rod! Does this mean you are done with the SxS?

Car looks sweet, any other pictures? Hard to tell, is it an A arm or beam front end?

franky

Reaction score
...A long time friend of mine, Gary Emory, built the first Baja Bug in about '68... ...Volkswagen used it a bunch for billboard and magazine advertisements... ...He still has it... ...His son in law rolled it many years ago and as far as I know it is still used and he has no intentions of restoring it...(battle scars are in)...

View attachment 243825

I built my first baja bug when they first came out the the fiberglass kits in 1972

Racing97

Reaction score
Gary's dad Neil was co owner of Valley Customs very talented guy a lot of history and talent in the family

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Mitchel knows exactly what car it is...

Mitchell was telling about it trying to get me to purchase it. Wished I could make it to the next desert trip.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Congrats on the new hot rod! Does this mean you are done with the SxS?

Car looks sweet, any other pictures? Hard to tell, is it an A arm or beam front end?

Looks like Beam to me.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I guess the secret is out lol...bad-ass car Chip :thumbsup

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I guess the secret is out lol...bad-ass car Chip :thumbsup

LOL, pretty much, now that I have it. It's a beam car with about 15" up front. I asked why he didn't do an A arm car and he said that after talking to builders they really didn't recommend an A arm set up for a bug. This was confirmed by the fact that most class 5 cars are beams.

Yes done with SxS, which kind of sucks because last year I put a brand new Benchmark Racing 686 motor in my Rhino which has less than 500 miles and 20 hours on it. Going to sell it and I'll never get that money out of it.

Here are a couple more pics.

mu2anuve.jpg

ate3ebum.jpg

rudu2u6e.jpg

e4u7y9ez.jpg

a6u2ebyg.jpg

unasequ3.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
This THING is pretty bad ass! I saw it for sale for awhile on The Samba, and Race Dezert. The owner also used to go into my buddies restaurant in Burbank quite a bit. I think most of the fab work was done by Daren at Prowlers...?

I have 2 friends that both have VW Things. They are street legal and each have about 20" of travel. One has a Chevy Shortstar in it, and the other has a Nissan 300 Z motor in it.

What's the name of your buddies Resteraunt in Burbank ? I believe SMP fab works built the entire car, I could be wrong though ...

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
That's Bad Ass Chip!:thumbsup

Hope that the paint dosn't fade to PINK.;)

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I just picked this one up. It's built like a brick shit house. FAT performance 1915 with UMP air filter connected to dual 44 Webers, beefed up bus tranny, 3x3 rear, Fox w/remote bypass, front pushed out 6" and widened 3", Cal plated, 4 wheel Wilwood disc, bead locks, full cage, radio, headsets, Jaz fuel cell, Mastercraft seats with Cal DOT DJ 5 points, etc... It's a runner, it's fresh and should be a great car. No expense was spared.

yhuhanyp.jpg

Its official chip, I hate you purely based on jealousy.........:p

Nice find, congrats..........:thumbup:

Meaney77

Reaction score
LOL, pretty much, now that I have it. It's a beam car with about 15" up front. I asked why he didn't do an A arm car and he said that after talking to builders they really didn't recommend an A arm set up for a bug. This was confirmed by the fact that most class 5 cars are beams.

Yes done with SxS, which kind of sucks because last year I put a brand new Benchmark Racing 686 motor in my Rhino which has less than 500 miles and 20 hours on it. Going to sell it and I'll never get that money out of it.

mu2anuve.jpg

ate3ebum.jpg

rudu2u6e.jpg

e4u7y9ez.jpg

a6u2ebyg.jpg

unasequ3.jpg

Good looking car, you will be stoked! You will see its nice to have a windshield and a license plate!

Meaney77

Reaction score
What's the name of your buddies Resteraunt in Burbank ? I believe SMP fab works built the entire car, I could be wrong though ...

The restaurant is The Hollywood Way- its a sports bar that does BBQ.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Gary's dad Neil was co owner of Valley Customs very talented guy a lot of history and talent in the family

...I guess it would have been 1960 or '61 Gary took me over to see his dad and uncles shop after school... ...I guess it was about 3 years ago Gary was down from Oregon and we were cruising around looking for places we had known and we found what had been the location of Valley Custom on San Fernando Rd in Burbank... ...I also showed him the house he grew up in in Sun Valley... ...He couldn't believe it... ...The house looked exactly as it had when he lived there... ...Same color,...same split rail fence that his dad had built in the 40's...

Meaney77

Reaction score
...I guess it would have been 1960 or '61 Gary took me over to see his dad and uncles shop after school... ...I guess it was about 3 years ago Gary was down from Oregon and we were cruising around looking for places we had known and we found what had been the location of Valley Custom on San Fernando Rd in Burbank... ...I also showed him the house he grew up in in Sun Valley... ...He couldn't believe it... ...The house looked exactly as it had when he lived there... ...Same color,...same split rail fence that his dad had built in the 40's...

Sounds like San Fernando Buggy which was eventually bought and renamed as Prowlers???

Hammer

Reaction score
The restaurant is The Hollywood Way- its a sports bar that does BBQ.

I frequent that place quite a bit ! Great food !! :D

The kid who owns SMP fabworks goes in there all the time with his pre runner buddies.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

mu2anuve.jpg

ate3ebum.jpg

rudu2u6e.jpg

e4u7y9ez.jpg

a6u2ebyg.jpg

unasequ3.jpg

sweet...looks great

the question is are you repainting the boat or the bug?:D

Meaney77

Reaction score
I frequent that place quite a bit ! Great food !! :D

The kid who owns SMP fabworks goes in there all the time with his pre runner buddies.

Small world! I know the owner really well.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
sweet...looks great

the question is are you repainting the boat or the bug?:D

As soon as Toby's done painting Chip's kitchen cabinets to match the Rhino, Golf Cart and Boat, Toby will do the 45' 5th wheel, then the bug to match.

It's on the list, two weeks.:thumbsup

Hammer

Reaction score
Small world! I know the owner really well.

I've seen him at the bar a few times, he asked me how everything was which I thought was cool. His 1/2 off the bar menu for happy hour is bitchen, not to mention bottomless memosas on Sunday and I believe blood Mary's as well. Always has a few good mivkcro brews on tap as well. My buddies wife used to manage that place, dunno what happened other than her getting Prego, prolly bartender chic drama ! :D

He's got some good liking help in there too :D

white tortilla

Reaction score
decided to hold onto mine and finish the project. its at my step brothers house hes putting the rest of it together for me.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058880.411215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058880.411215.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058894.840331.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058894.840331.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 60
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058913.423974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359058913.423974.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Here's my buddies car getting updated. We should be testing in Ocotillo over Presidents Weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359139032.948142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359139055.022034.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359139075.796708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359139096.607980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359139116.939657.jpg

BajaMike

Reaction score
You guys are killing me here. If my back wasn't trashed I would probably be in one of these things...up to my ears.
I think of all the cash dumped into the side by side deal and then think about how cool a baja I could have...
The only thing that I can see as a downfall is no 4x4 and the physical size of the thing trying to get into tight trails or even the trailer.
But this still goes through my mind...all the time.
The tricked out Things are way cool, too. Never thought of that.

You don't need 4X4 with the engine sitting right over the rear wheels. These things have out climbed Jeeps and SxS in all kinds of competition.

BajaMike

Reaction score

View attachment 243825

I company called "EMPI" in Riverside made the first ones that I know of I think in 1965, they shortened the wheel base by 1' and widened it by 1', had a sheet metal body, and the put individual hand brakes on each real wheel for manual "posi-traction".

empi_logo.gif

Later they went to a fiberglass body.

aaaahome.gif

They sold it as a kit.

empi_imp_dune_buggy_vw-beetlt_69.jpg

Last edited:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Man I would love to have one but I need a four seater:thumbsup

cakemoto

Reaction score
yea...i'm pretty sure Steven didn't build that thing.dont know the guy that owns the Hollywood way,but a good friends lady works there.
i lived in burbank for 30 years..just moved and dont think i commin back

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Here's my buddies car getting updated. We should be testing in Ocotillo over Presidents Weekend.
Nice, would love to see that when it's done! I totaled up all the receipts I received with my car and they were over $37k, and I think there are a few missing. That does not including the original car. Ran it this weekend in Cal City and it's a fun car to drive! Sorry I bought it at the end of the season, but it will make for some fun next winter!

Last edited:

white tortilla

Reaction score
out testing today

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362863239.694890.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362863239.694890.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 43

SuperJet

Reaction score
Grady, was that your Baja at the guys place next to Don E Brook????? There were a few there, and they all looked sick:thumbup:

white tortilla

Reaction score
Grady, was that your Baja at the guys place next to Don E Brook????? There were a few there, and they all looked sick:thumbup:

mabye lol idk who that is. it was at prowlers for a while then at my step bros on san fransquito road for the last couple months

SuperJet

Reaction score
mabye lol idk who that is. it was at prowlers for a while then at my step bros on san fransquito road for the last couple months

Haha yeah that's what I'm talking about. Don e brook is the horse ranch that's next to him

Sent from that vibrating thing In your pocket using Tapatalk

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Who has a Baja for sale? Full body, no convertables.

D

Deleted Account

i've been checking that out lately, not too much that really interest me. Lots of beaters or real spendy ones.

That's usually the deal, most of the one in the middle are held onto, until they become Spendy. I bought a rough Thing there for $6500, did a ton if work to it and sold it there again a couple years later for $18ish...