WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Class A advice

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We’ll be MoHo shopping around this time next year.

So that gives me a solid year to mind-fuck the purchase [emoji1787]

I have a Silverado 4x4…I do have a flatbed, but for those times where having it ain’t convenient…

Assuming I’m within the rig’s limits, is it dumb to flat-tow a full-size pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score

I have a Silverado 4x4…I do have a flatbed, but for those times where having it ain’t convenient…

Assuming I’m within the rig’s limits, is it dumb to flat-tow a full-size pickup?

Not at all. My buddy flat tows an f350 CC long bed with a golf cart in the bed.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score

Not at all. We towed an F250 or an H2 for years. The downside is the truck weighs about 5300-5400 pounds and most gas class A’s have a 5000# tow capacity on paper.

But you see all the guys going to glamis towing 25’+ trailers loaded down that exceed 5000# so a few hundred pounds on a truck shouldn’t be a big deal. Diesels are normally 10,000#’s, so no issue there.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Without summoning the weight police…it seems to me flat-towing is a bit easier on the tow vehicle, versus a trailer with tongue weight.

What’s the best/easiest setup for the toad brakes?
Invisibrake?

01erionracing

Reaction score
I am using ready brake and Blue-Ox tow bar for flat-towing on previous the class C moho over 10 years and now transfer it to DP.
I also tow on flatbed.
The base plate is pretty much custom front bumper with d-ring mounted to the tow bar.

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Without summoning the weight police…it seems to me flat-towing is a bit easier on the tow vehicle, versus a trailer with tongue weight.

Invisibrake?

Ready brute. Has a built in surge mechanism connect by cable to your brake pedal. Flat towing a 4 door wrangler over 30000 miles without an issue. I use a turn buckle in line so I can adjust braking pressure.

RCDave

Reaction score

Invisibrake?

WildWilly

Reaction score
this has been a good read. I've never owned any form of travel trailer or RV but the wife is really pushing for one to fit our needs to travel. I've gone back and forth from 5th wheel, to travel trailer to class C and A. ultimately a nice DP would be best to be able to tow toys but more than I wanted to spend to "test out" this new interest. But then I think, do it once do it right has been something I've had to learn in the past.

fmo24

Reaction score
this has been a good read. I've never owned any form of travel trailer or RV but the wife is really pushing for one to fit our needs to travel. I've gone back and forth from 5th wheel, to travel trailer to class C and A. ultimately a nice DP would be best to be able to tow toys but more than I wanted to spend to "test out" this new interest. But then I think, do it once do it right has been something I've had to learn in the past.
The old line is buy your 3rd one first and be done

STV_Keith

Reaction score
If you tow and your MH has a transmission retarder, be mindful that if when the retarder engages, it turns on the brake lights, it will also apply your TOAD brakes.

69hondo

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what is an "Aqua hot"?

fmo24

Reaction score
It is a radiant heating system. Hot water, heated floors and inside heat. Newer coaches are all electric with no propane on board. This system is either electric or diesel when Coach is running

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Tankless water heater, never runs out of hot water. Normally the design has a tank, 5-7 gallons of hot and then you are out. And the aqua hot also heats the floors if the coach has that option and sends hot water to the engine to keep it warm when it gets cold out. Only issue is you can take long showers and use up your water if you are not hooked up to city water.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Here's their website: http://www.aquahot.com/Products/RV.aspx

Basically it's a big tank of a coolant like liquid that gets heated up, then water is passed through a liquid to liquid heat exchanger to heat other things. Like posted above, this can be water for the shower/sinks, floor heat, etc. In my RV, it's also used as a furnace. There are little radiators with fans that expel heat when the furnace is called for. My rig also has a switch to use it to pre-heat the engine in cold temperatures, to help it start and get it up to temp quicker. If you leave this same switch on while driving, it will use engine heat to keep the liquid hot without having to run the AH at all.

The AH uses a diesel fired burner to generate the heat, so it pulls off the fuel tank. It also has a 750w water heater element in it, so when you are plugged in or running the generator, you can use AC to heat the tank too.

69hondo

Reaction score
I am assuming the Aqua hot is more of a newer coach thing. Probably not going to find it in early to mid 2000s?

RCDave

Reaction score
I am assuming the Aqua hot is more of a newer coach thing. Probably not going to find it in early to mid 2000s?

Its been around for many years. Plenty of coaches from the 2000's have them

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Mine is a 2003. I know for sure it was available prior to 2001 for Foretravels.

baja-chris

Reaction score
In the Newmar the system is called Oasis which burns diesel fuel to heat a glycol solution. We rarely use it. The floors are heated electrically. And the hot water has electrical heaters (2 stages at different wattages). Then if you need an actual heater, the Oasis uses a heat exchanger to blow warm air. And if you need more hot water than the electrical heaters can provide, the Oasis uses a heat exchanger to heat the hot water also.

One thing I did not see mentioned that was a requirement for us with a Black Lab that sheds, was zero carpet on the slides and flush floors with the slides out. Makes it super easy to sweep up the dog hair and suck it up with the central vacuum system.

The other thing we wanted was a large rectangular tiled shower and not a molded fiberglass unit that will crack under my fat ass (like our last 5th wheel shower did).

We bought new to get the features and equipment we wanted. Now after 21k miles its at the dealer getting little shit fixed (still under warrantee).
Very happy with it and plan to keep for many years so the depreciation was less important to us than getting what we wanted.

C08H18

Reaction score
I concur with @LakeMead Boater I had a Country Coach Intrigue for years, pulling a 20' enclosed full of QUADs or flat towing a jeep. Best RV i've owned. Yes, you need to plan ahead in tight spots. Ran cool, side radiator made easy access to motor, both front AC and heat were an issue in extreme weather.

Never had an issue finding a shop. A MH is just a bunch of 3rd party components wrapped up with fiberglass and a motor. I used several truck shops for maintenance and repairs across western USA. A breakdown on the road was an easy fix at a truck shop and i don't recall ever staying overnight because of a breakdown. Anyone can fix body, paint, heating, appliances, and fridge. I would do it again without a doubt.

Only concern which i posted somewhere on RDP was handling - i had a specialty shop in Grants Pass OR make some changes to the suspension early in my ownership and it ran great. No issue driving/towing 700 miles in a day.

AB9A8513-8CB7-42A7-930E-E53A4B52CB80_1_105_c.jpeg

RCDave

Reaction score

Tiffin makes a quality coach. The Allegro Bus's of that era are really nice and became the design platforms for future Phaetons. The Allegro Bus got better every year with better engines, chassis, suspensions, brakes, interior/quality of materials, etc.

Fast forward to about 2009 and the Allegro Bus started using the Powerglide Chassis. This was a huge upgrade as they became side radiator designs with independent front suspension, disc brakes, etc. A real improvement in handling, braking, stability, engine cooling/ease of maintenance, etc.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Going this Sunday to look at a 40' 2000 coach with a Cat C10 385 HP turbo diesel intercooled side draft radiator, Alison 6-speed on a Dynomax IFS air ride chassis. Pretty much checks all my boxes.

Anyone have any experience with a Cat C10 in a coach?

69hondo

Reaction score
Going this Sunday to look at a 40' 2000 coach with a Cat C10 385 HP turbo diesel intercooled side draft radiator, Alison 6-speed on a Dynomax IFS air ride chassis. Pretty much checks all my boxes.

I dont know shit compared to everyone else. In my research the Cat seems to be a good engine but seems costs are quite a bit more on the Cat engines. meaning parts but again I dont have any experience and am learning so probably dont listen to me. LOL

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

We has a CAT 400 in our fleetwood revolution, I liked it as did the mechanics, they said it was much easier to work on, way more power than similar size cummins