WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Clean ol' KX500 for sale on OfferUp.

white tortilla

Reaction score
It will be for sale for a long time.

I had a mint condition kx500 that I tried to sell a couple years ago. Posted on RDP and all the apps. Started at 5k thinking I was below everyone else. Sat, sat, sat, ended up getting 2900 from some guy in England who brokered a shipping company to use it a motocross museum over there.

sintax

Reaction score
yea, thats def a special kind of ass for that seat for sure.

I'd sell my 2002 kx500 w/ kx250 frame for half that :)

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Sold my late 80's CR500 for like $2500 bucks. Those 2smoke 5hundy's are for real men. Those bikes can also make a medium-skilled rider with some balls much faster than the average bear. I told my pre-teen son when he figured out the secret to starting it; he could ride it. He tried for weeks to get it started, and when he finally did, he rode it for about 5 minutes and never again.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Sweet bike.
I wouldn't buy it but I would like to ride it.

I have seen other KX500s that were beat to shit and asking for $6 & 7k
🤷‍♂️

77charger

Reaction score

I had a mint condition kx500 that I tried to sell a couple years ago. Posted on RDP and all the apps. Started at 5k thinking I was below everyone else. Sat, sat, sat, ended up getting 2900 from some guy in England who brokered a shipping company to use it a motocross museum over there.
500s are a different market today.old ca neighbor had a clean mid 90s and got 6500 for it a few months ago in 3days. Cr500 market is very strong last couple years too. 3-4 year ago yeh 3-4k tops

77charger

Reaction score
$8250 is way too high IMO
I sold my 2001 CR 500 with all the good stuff a couple of years ago for 3K
Be getting 6500 minimum today that’s for clean plastics good shape. Get a showroom looker a lot more $$$

Cole 392

Reaction score
6CFB9293-75F5-4AD3-B18F-70B41A99ACF8.jpeg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
They are fun in the dez but not really anywhere else besides a well groomed track. Big HP with a small powerband is only good if you can hook it up. My 86 CR 500 had a heavy flywheel and porting from Pro Circuit for bottom end grunt and a smoother transition into the upper end of the powerband.
By the end of the 90's I wasn't riding very often and so getting on it occassionally was always a struggle to relearn the subtleties. Trail riding in the hills of Elsinore and Hesperia was never fun, or fast, unless it had just rained.
My son's new Husky 350 is fast but my 1979 Husky 390 has just as good of a powerband for plonking around in the desert. We haven't lined 'em up yet for a drag race. :rolleyes:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
They aren't making 500cc 2 strokes anymore....he'll get the asking price.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I got arm pump just reading the ad.
I still own one. My hands have turned into the dreaded ”claw” just typing this. I haven’t ridden it since 2001. Just waiting for my son to resurrect it for him to show what a bad ass he is. That dude is as high as a giraffes pussy thinking he’s gonna get that number.

checkrd past

Reaction score
had a 85 CR 500 with insane explosive bottom end power. Rode that one (89 KX 500) and put my CR to shame!

HBCraig

Reaction score
You’d be getting a good amount today I’m on fence of selling my 2000. I need to put about 500 into it but can pull an extra 1500 out of it or make an extra 1k basically. Old two strokes are prized these days I guess. Oem parts are crazy priced too.
I might have a full set of white plastics for you

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
back in 93... my ex Bus partner gets a new 93 Husky 350 Thumper...
he took it on a few rides... tells me how its the Best MX bike EVER... him and a few of our old MX buds con me into dusting off my old 76 Husky 390 CR... off to El Mirage.... had a great day of desert riding... no bumps or bruises... cons me into drag race on the lake bed... sure let's go... we take off, I go thru the gears and he's pulling me a little... my old Bell half shell, Jofa mouth piece picking up some wind.. Im leaning on the tank.. he's still pulling me.. maybe 10-15'... Im thinking... hmm don't make sense... I wonder if I have another gear?? Click... HOWLY FUCK!! HEAD THROWS BACK.. I fly by him like he's standing still.... I look back, helmet almost flies off... he's 50 ft back and calling uncle....

I forgot this bike had desert gearing on it.. 15t CS sprocket...
at the minimum... imo pushing 80-85... bike could of done 90ish..

but not with me in the saddle.. wearing jeans...Tee shirt and High Points...

GOOD TIMES!!

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Dude, you have a real Service Honda?
The baddest bike on the planet. Nothing comes close
Yes sir . Got a great deal i couldn't pass up . I'm the 3rd owner of it , 1st owner never got to ride it ( wife forced sale ) and sold it to my buddy that didn't like it after riding it a couple times , still had the titties on the rear tire when i bought it . Also have quite a few Hondas from 83 to 06 . Wish I would have bought an 07 Cr250 since it was the last of Honda and 2 strokes and I'm not a 4 stroke guy .

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I was just telling the wife last night I'm thinking if selling my '88 KX500. I haven't ridden it in about 6 years now and not sure when I will be able to. Plus, I LOVED ridding my dad's Husky 300.

They are fun in the dez but not really anywhere else besides a well groomed track. Big HP with a small powerband is only good if you can hook it up. My 86 CR 500 had a heavy flywheel and porting from Pro Circuit for bottom end grunt and a smoother transition into the upper end of the powerband.
By the end of the 90's I wasn't riding very often and so getting on it occassionally was always a struggle to relearn the subtleties. Trail riding in the hills of Elsinore and Hesperia was never fun, or fast, unless it had just rained.
My son's new Husky 350 is fast but my 1979 Husky 390 has just as good of a powerband for plonking around in the desert. We haven't lined 'em up yet for a drag race. :rolleyes:
Small Powerband? The KX has a power valve and just pulls all the way through. Way more bottom end than most modern 450's.

69hondo

Reaction score
That price is high but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells. Old 2 strokes go for insane money now. I dont know why. Maybe all the 4 stroke guys realized how expensive it is to rebuild a 4 stroke :p;) i kid I kid. I have a small army of Honda 2 strokes and we love them. still fairly cheap to rebuild. Just had my 02 CR250 engine gone through. 900 bucks top and bottom end and all I had to do was pull the engine and put it back in the bike. Got the girls 02 125up for 3k and nobody has bought it yet but I dont need to sell so we will keep riding it. Really contemplating selling my ATC. they are going for crazy money. 5k-8k

Anyway only riden a 500 once. They are awesome and a blast in the sand.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
My first dirt bike was a 85 CR500. My foot still hurts from trying to start it! After many safe and sane 4 strokes since then that CR500 was always what every other bike is measured against. Got to say, my current KTM 300 XC-W two stroke, electric start, fuel injection is pretty good.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Nothing cooler than 500cc 2-strokes. Back in the day when I rode for Team Green they'd provide me with a KX500 to race Mammoth MX in the Open Class. There is nothing more fun than ripping a 500 at that track. The good ol' days!

79hallettsprint

Reaction score
KX 500's are the way to go here's mine way too much into this one. Its a great conversation piece when I take it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

pixrthis

Reaction score

Do you mean that old 500’s that are so much better than todays bikes are hard to sell? From what I hear on here they are the shit and the only real dirt bikes.

white tortilla

Reaction score
Do you mean that old 500’s that are so much better than todays bikes are hard to sell? From what I hear on here they are the shit and the only real dirt bikes.
Here’s the 500 I couldn’t get anyone to move on that I posted for sale during the Covid craziness. Completely frame off resto.

48F8C144-240D-43B3-86B1-3D5AC1F8F555.jpeg

It was fun to ride. But nothing like the new bikes in regards to actually being fast and maneuverable. I bought it all excited to rip my arms off but @BingerFang and I both rode it out around the Parker 259 loop and it sucked compared to the new 450s we had.

I recently went back to a new two stroke, the KTM 300 and it’s a ton of fun. Still not comparable to the new 450 for brute power but it’s fast enough to run in the front of the pack at the Hare n Hounds.

638C83B4-3F34-43D1-AD71-94480A7E4691.jpeg

77charger

Reaction score
Here’s the 500 I couldn’t get anyone to move on that I posted for sale during the Covid craziness. Completely frame off resto.

View attachment 1195695

It was fun to ride. But nothing like the new bikes in regards to actually being fast and maneuverable. I bought it all excited to rip my arms off but @BingerFang and I both rode it out around the Parker 259 loop and it sucked compared to the new 450s we had.

I recently went back to a new two stroke, the KTM 300 and it’s a ton of fun. Still not comparable to the new 450 for brute power but it’s fast enough to run in the front of the pack at the Hare n Hounds.

View attachment 1195698
There’s no doubt the newer bikes are better. I like to compare a 500 to a newer bike like this.

500 is like a 67 Camaro with a healthy big block cool to cruise around with strong power ain’t your daily driver ain’t the smoothest but cool as hell.

Newer 300s 450s etc are like a new Camaro ls powered cruise smooth handles better strong power easier all around double the mpg all while making similar power with all the luxuries and daily drivers.

Some fast guys I know built af 500s for the dunes these are ones who have a few bikes each and each is specific they prefer the 500 for dunes but like the rest for single track or motocross. One has a kx500 powered kawi alm framed says engine is smoother than Honda by far also used for motocross tracks but his desert bikes are ktms

redone76

Reaction score
That price is high but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells. Old 2 strokes go for insane money now. I dont know why. Maybe all the 4 stroke guys realized how expensive it is to rebuild a 4 stroke :p;) i kid I kid. I have a small army of Honda 2 strokes and we love them. still fairly cheap to rebuild. Just had my 02 CR250 engine gone through. 900 bucks top and bottom end and all I had to do was pull the engine and put it back in the bike. Got the girls 02 125up for 3k and nobody has bought it yet but I dont need to sell so we will keep riding it. Really contemplating selling my ATC. they are going for crazy money. 5k-8k

Anyway only riden a 500 once. They are awesome and a blast in the sand.
Question regarding ATCs going for crazy money. A coworker has 3 sitting at a property she inherited. She thinks they're 200 or 250s. If they're not trashed I'm thinking of getting them just to clean up and flip. Which ATCs would be bringing crazy money in todays market? I am in SoCal by the way. Thanks for any info

bonesfab

Reaction score
Question regarding ATCs going for crazy money. A coworker has 3 sitting at a property she inherited. She thinks they're 200 or 250s. If they're not trashed I'm thinking of getting them just to clean up and flip. Which ATCs would be bringing crazy money in todays market? I am in SoCal by the way. Thanks for any info
85-86 250r's are what bring stupid money if they are really nice.

endobear

Reaction score
2000 cr 500 owner here. Owned it since 01.
Took it to Moab About 5 years ago.
All the other guys were on newer 450s.
I noticed when I was following them much less effort they were using going just as fast as me.
Plus every intersection I had to stop at to wait for the group they could just hit the fire button. I had to kick the old girl with a bad knee. Kicked my old ass. Haven't rode it since.
Rejetted it, mounted my paddle and drug it to Glamis a couple years ago. Started it in the back of the truck but never did unload it and ride it.

Got my kicking knee fixed in September. Feels strong enough to kick start her again. May have to give the old girl another rip in Glamis next month.

bonesfab

Reaction score
2000 cr 500 owner here. Owned it since 01.
Took it to Moab About 5 years ago.
All the other guys were on newer 450s.
I noticed when I was following them much less effort they were using going just as fast as me.
Plus every intersection I had to stop at to wait for the group they could just hit the fire button. I had to kick the old girl with a bad knee. Kicked my old ass. Haven't rode it since.
Rejetted it, mounted my paddle and drug it to Glamis a couple years ago. Started it in the back of the truck but never did unload it and ride it.

Got my kicking knee fixed in September. Feels strong enough to kick start her again. May have to give the old girl another rip in Glamis next month.
They make an electric starter kit for them. The only way to own one with age.

69hondo

Reaction score
Water cooled 250r will bring the most with the 350x coming in next. 200x ones are getting pricey as well. 200s and 250s don't bring nearly as much but if clean will still bring decent money. Then you have 175, 110 , 90 and then the extremely ridiculously priced 70

redone76

Reaction score
Water cooled 250r will bring the most with the 350x coming in next. 200x ones are getting pricey as well. 200s and 250s don't bring nearly as much but if clean will still bring decent money. Then you have 175, 110 , 90 and then the extremely ridiculously priced 70
Thanks for the info bud! I’ll find out what she has and report back. I recently rebuilt a 70 for a buddy and it just sits in his garage. But he knows what it’s worth. Won’t sell! I grew up on a 110. Wish we still had it

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’m a big 2 stroke guy as well. Had a bad ass 93 CR500 for years. The one place they absolutely rock is in the dunes. It’s where you are able to really stretch it’s legs and the long chassis it able to do it’s thing!!

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
85-86 250r's are what bring stupid money if they are really nice.
Yeh don’t forget the 70 too insane for what they are but yeh 85-86 are the big dogs. I sold mine In 08 for 1300 bought in99 for 900 only thing I bought and sold where I broke out even put 400 into it total. Sold it in 2 hrs to guy in Florida used that money to buy my current cr500 for 1500. Linda wish I kept the atc though but wanted a 500 bad and now money wise it’s great.