WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Clear bra on your river vehicle?

Boatracer36

Reaction score
How many people have put the protective clear bra on the front of their vehicles? Is it worth it?

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I think it's worth it in my situation. My truck is only 14 months old and lots of rock chips, makes me sad. Utah roads are dirty. I put the clear bra on my wifes new car, and it seems to be holding up well, so for us, it's been great. I bought a 2012 Mini to pull behind my Moho, and the user did Clear Bra when he bough it, the thing looks great, it was well protected.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Got a customer that has one on an older vehicle it looks horrible. Saved his paint but turned an nice yellow color over the years. The quality might have changed over the years. Or you might have to change it out in a decade to really keep it looking good.

MrsVP

Reaction score
I have one on my Veloster (for almost 5 years, 116k miles). Living in the desert, and driving to the river often, it has saved from a ton of chips. My guy used the 3M product, and haven't had any issues. He did say that if it got torn, it is self-healing with a heat gun. As for any yellowing, mine is still crystal clear.

If I did it on a car again, I would also do just above the windshield too--I've got some nasty rock chips up there.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Got a customer that has one on an older vehicle it looks horrible. Saved his paint but turned an nice yellow color over the years. The quality might have changed over the years. Or you might have to change it out in a decade to really keep it looking good.

I asked them about this, I've seen some yellow after some time too. They won't replace it with it discoloring, but they will if the edges or corners are lifting. He said if it is yellowing, more than likely it has an edge lifting. If that happens, they will replace it.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Had my Megacab done 6 years ago with 3M material. I was sold on it when I literally could not pierce a sample with a screwdriver. It hasn't discolored or peeled up anywhere. I'd do it again for sure.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I want to have this done to the wife’s new Durango. $1,000 for front fascia only no hood or fenders.
Does come with 10yr warranty.
But still you Got to be fucking kidding me.

MrsVP

Reaction score
I want to have this done to the wife’s new Durango. $1,000 for front fascia only no hood or fenders.

Got to be fucking kidding!
Where do you live? I got mine done at Allen's Auto Glass in Hemet--Drew is a great guy. He does all of my tint, glass, etc. Might want to give him a call.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Where do you live? I got mine done at Allen's Auto Glass in Hemet--Drew is a great guy. He does all of my tint, glass, etc. Might want to give him a call.
Apple valley. Deluxe auto sport gave me a price for $800 but after they wouldn’t warranty $100 tint job I lost faith on a $800 purchase.

$1000 quote is from Tyler Totaltint on Instagram he does a bunch of high end stuff.

What did you have done and how much?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I asked them about this, I've seen some yellow after some time too. They won't replace it with it discoloring, but they will if the edges or corners are lifting. He said if it is yellowing, more than likely it has an edge lifting. If that happens, they will replace it.

My customer with the bra does not have any lifting. For what it’s worth the car came from WA state and moved to Hawaii about 4 years ago. So the yellowing was not becuase the vehicle was in the islands it’s whole life.

PlanB

Reaction score
The newer stuff won't discolor. Have it on the front of our Cobra and on my Harley. The guy that did my Harley has a machine that cuts all the pieces after a template is put into a computer. It's so thin and fits so well you can't tell it's on the paint, and this is on metallic black.

Boatracer36

Reaction score
I was quoted $700 for the full front and mirrors. 10 year warranty. This is the first time looking into this and was shocked at the price. Was guessing around 300.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Had my Jetta done in 11 when I bought it.

Tons of river trips. Well I've 100k now.

Still clear. Hood still looks great.

3M

Last edited:

Mototrig

Reaction score
Just my $.02
A buddy recently had one installed on his Viper. Recently he went on a group drive up HWY 18 to Big Bear. 2 vipers, a Porche 911 and a few other nice rides. There was an area of gravel on the road which got kicked up. The 911 and the other Viper had paint chips after the drive. The Viper with the clear bra (3rd in line during the drive) had zero damage. I'd say money well spent on the clear bra.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I put a 3M product on my tundra in 2007. Around 2017 it started to yellow and then crack. In 2018 I removed it, piece by little piece, it took forever.I removed it at the river because it was warm and pulled oft easier, but it was a lot of time wasted. The paint looked good, it look better than the part that wasn't covered. I would do it again on a new truck.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I got it on my vette. Did the half so there is a line on the hood. So far it has been great with no rock chips. This car is dark blue. I got 4 track days on it too.

My previous car was black (no clear bra) and got absolutely peppered with rock chips in three years. It looked terrible at 3 years. (I tracked that car so that didn't help)

So far so good. I endorse it.

I got it from the dealer so not sure what brand they used. Probably 3M

sirbob

Reaction score
I keep getting rock chips in my windshield - anybody ever put this on glass?

Think it would reduce the cracks?

Reaction score
About every 20,000 miles I take my car in for detailing, and to fix paint/body issues. I usually end up with a new windshield, front bumpers repainted, and one or two door repairs fixed w/ dent less repair. Up until recently it was less then $2000 to get it done. I drive about 5000 miles a year on my truck, so about every 4 years.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Apple valley. Deluxe auto sport gave me a price for $800 but after they wouldn’t warranty $100 tint job I lost faith on a $800 purchase.

$1000 quote is from Tyler Totaltint on Instagram he does a bunch of high end stuff.

What did you have done and how much?
I had it done as I said 5 years ago, and it was just the front of the car, and up the hood about halfway. If memory serves me right, it was about $500. I'd give Drew a call if I were you. He stands by his work and is a really nice guy.

richp5

Reaction score
I have clear bra front bumper/hood/fenders/mirrors & wheel wells on my Vette. While driving on the freeway a semi blew a re-tread and tore up the front end of the wrap with no damage to the hood/car. Thumbs up to clear bra.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Some of the self healing stuff we saw at SEMA is cool.

Ultra912

Reaction score
My nephew travels the states doing exotic cars, Ferrari, lambos etc. He does full car bras on those and the dealers pay him 1200 per and sell it on the car for 4K and they even pay for travel on top of that
He won first place in a nationwide contest. Nick Harriman 626 890-8993 SoCal
He was gonna do my 69 911 but it already had too many chips down low 3 inches off the ground LOL

fmo24

Reaction score
I have dura shield I think on my Moho and it is getting dinged up and kind of foggy. I have heard it starts to get moldy underneath in high humidity areas where the material is damaged. I may just have it removed and live with the paint damage.
Or pull a 2FF and just buy a new Moho

2Driver

Reaction score
I keep getting rock chips in my windshield - anybody ever put this on glass?

Think it would reduce the cracks?

36C8E1DD-DC77-4734-9751-D753321E8C91.jpeg

hawgty55

Reaction score
My brother in-law just had his Raptor cericoated and then vinyl rapped the front it not cheap. It all comes down to your finances. Do whatever you can to prolong the length of your cars toys and assets.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
My nephew travels the states doing exotic cars, Ferrari, lambos etc. He does full car bras on those and the dealers pay him 1200 per and sell it on the car for 4K and they even pay for travel on top of that
He won first place in a nationwide contest. Nick Harriman 626 890-8993 SoCal
He was gonna do my 69 911 but it already had too many chips down low 3 inches off the ground LOL

would he like a trip to Havasu? I could probably line a few cars up for him and he can use my garage to apply. No one here will do it, or another way to put it I will not use anyone here as they have no experience.

Mike K

Reaction score
Absolutely yes. Spend the $. All you need is one bad rock thrown up and you'll wish u did it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
would he like a trip to Havasu? I could probably line a few cars up for him and he can use my garage to apply. No one here will do it, or another way to put it I will not use anyone here as they have no experience.
$1200 for the whole car?

I have 2 when can he start?

grumpy88

Reaction score
Does come with 10yr warranty.
But still you Got to be fucking kidding me.
Thanks . I was reading this thread thinking about my wife's Durango. 1k I think I will pass .

Ultra912

Reaction score
1200.00 for the application only but thats for exotics. The dealers are getting 3-5K for the bra

Loony Toon

Reaction score
I had Clear Bra installed on painted surfaces from the windshield and doors forward then Life Time Warranty Ceramic Coating. Three coats on the Clear Bra and five coats on paint and plastic, wheels were coated also. Interior was also coated. Clear Bra cost more than the Ceramic Coating.
Work was done by Private Collection Auto Care in Glendale.
I highly recommend their services.

IMG_0050.JPG

Ultra912

Reaction score
Call him. I posted his number and told him I posted