WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Clear Bra:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Found a Clear Bra shop I liked and dumb luck just a few minutes away.
He had the 2020 GMC in his CAD and a CNC cutter for the material. A shop full of super high end cars excellent reviews galore.

I wanted Expel Ultra.
We used 3M on the Vette, but the shops we called all said 3M quality has since fallen, though now 3M is attempting a comeback, best to stick with Expel Ultra.

Leading edge of the hood and fenders, the chrome, lights, bumper and bumper trim.

FAE1CAFA-BC2F-4399-86A1-18416B1CCE1D.jpeg

Last edited:

CobraDave

Reaction score
Looks really nice. Should protect that painted bumper well. I also just got the XPEL and I’ll probably go back for the roof and A pillars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Have the 3M stuff on my Jetta. After many river trips, still looks good.

Paint on the hood is taking a shit though. Micro cracks in the clear. Sucks.

Havazoo

Reaction score
Anyone in Havasu doing this you'd recommend?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
He had the 2020 GMC in his CAD and a CNC cutter for the material. A shop full of super high end cars excellent reviews galore.

I wanted Expel Ultra.
We used 3M on the Vette, but the shops we called all said 3M quality has since fallen, though now 3M is attempting a comeback, best to stick with Expel Ultra.

Leading edge of the hood and fenders, the chrome, lights, bumper and bumper trim.

View attachment 875561
periodically 3M has a quality issue. Trying to cut costs I’d assume.

Sometimes they pull it off, other times enough people bitch about it and they improve.
We had some issues in the past when they stopped producing tape in St. Paul, MN, started a new plant in Canada.
Eventually it slightly improved to the point people didn’t bitch as much, but was still sub par to the original.

They are still the only one producing a plastic fine line tape I can break gelcoat with. Other brands tend to go soft once material is on it, pulling it up and off it turns to consistency of a rubber band, before braking and snapping back into your work.

One of those hind sight deals. Wish I woulda been investing in 3M since I started working.
I probably wouldn’t be working today, lol.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
periodically 3M has a quality issue. Trying to cut costs I’d assume.

Sometimes they pull it off, other times enough people bitch about it and they improve.
We had some issues in the past when they stopped producing tape in St. Paul, MN, started a new plant in Canada.
Eventually it slightly improved to the point people didn’t bitch as much, but was still sub par to the original.

They are still the only one producing a plastic fine line tape I can break gelcoat with. Other brands tend to go soft once material is on it, pulling it up and off it turns to consistency of a rubber band, before braking and snapping back into your work.

One of those hind sight deals. Wish I woulda been investing in 3M since I started working.
I probably wouldn’t be working today, lol.

There was a book out a long time ago called.. I think,, "In Search of Excellence" I may have it mixed up with other articles but if I remember correctly it talked of companies that produce the best products and service.

If I remember, 3M was mentioned:
3M perfected flat.” DVDs and CD’s never would have materialized until 3M contacted Phillips with the cure for their 89% mfg defects.

A 3M engineer just happened to be reading an article in Stereo Review Magazine that talked of Sony and Phillips problems developing and bringing CD's and DVD's to market.
He had the solution, went to 3M's board and they spotted him $2 Million to figure it all out, patent it all and license the rights and he did.

Friends with body shops showed me the difference between 3M products like abrasives, polishes and other companies. 3M was way ahead in quality and finish results.

They also talked of Frito Lay,, and on the level, 2 lesbians I was talking to that work for Frito Lay told me,,,,, but that's another thread for another time.

Last edited:

Chief Dave

Reaction score

I wanted Expel Ultra.

View attachment 875561
What's the name of he shop?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
He had the 2020 GMC
I wanted Expel Ultra.
Just sort of wondering what would be the average cost to have this done on the 2020 GMC Denali's and also would it have any affects to any of the sensors, front view camera, etc. operations?
Thanks.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Just sort of wondering what would be the average cost to have this done on the 2020 GMC Denali's and also would it have any affects to any of the sensors, front view camera, etc. operations?
Thanks.

In 2009 we did our Vette in 3M and it was $600.
The 2020 GMC was $850.
No effect on the vital sensors nor components.

Loony Toon

Reaction score
Had mine done with 3M 2 years this month.
Everything from the front doors forward was covered plus the ceramic coating.
Excellent protection + easy Bug removal👍
Had Bra and Coating done at Private Collection Car Care in Glendale Ca.

IMG_0050.JPG

CobraDave

Reaction score
It really depends on how much coverage you want. It can get really expensive. With my partial hood and fenders with everything else I did it was $360 or so. If I went full hood it would have been close to six. The bumper would have been 200 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Had mine done with 3M 2 years this month.
Everything from the front doors forward was covered plus the ceramic coating.
Excellent protection + easy Bug removal👍
Had Bra and Coating done at Private Collection Car Care in Glendale Ca.

View attachment 882483
Yeah we just rolled in from a 3000 mile trip and the bugs rinsed right off.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
GM is no longer putting it on the Dually rear wheel fender. Dan at the clear bra shop said unlikely you'll need it.
Just don't let anyone help you unload firewood in camp. One piece will surely hit the fender and re-painting that is an easy $1400 to do it right.
I know from experience.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
In 2009 we did our Vette in 3M and it was $600.
The 2020 GMC was $850.
No effect on the vital sensors nor components.
Thank you and all the others that chimed in as well for the cost information.

In the earlier stages of thinking what more can be added to our newly purchased 2020 GMC 2500-HD all in part of a very big thank you goes out to @DuttonDave of Dutton Buick, GMC, Cadillac in Riverside Ca.

If anyone's beginning their searches for any of the 3 brands in the SoCal area or beyond, private message DuttonDave to start your RDP member special discount with no games attached including extended warranty or desired GM accessories at time of negotiation. https://www.duttonbuickgmc.com/

Bought 5/25/20,
IMG_1110 (1).JPG