WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Clearlake CA

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Has anyone been out on the water recently? Curious what conditions are like. I haven't been there in years.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too much algae this time of year. I grew up camping at Willow Point. Great memories.

badluck

Reaction score
Water might be rough with the afternoon breeze. But it’s probably the cleanest it will be for the rest of the yr.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I’ve heard it’s very low for this time of year. Very little rain up here this year. It will be bad this summer.

4czn10

Reaction score
grew up staying at the Skylark inn...best memories ever! it's too bad the green water couldn't be controlled! Haven't been since 2008

Boat211

Reaction score
The water level is at record lows right now. My in laws have a place there. Mother in law says she has not seen it this low as long as she has been going. That started in 1970. The house is on the water in a small inlet. You can not get in there currently.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The water level is at record lows right now. My in laws have a place there. Mother in law says she has not seen it this low as long as she has been going. That started in 1970. The house is on the water in a small inlet. You can not get in there currently.

Kinda what I was thinking. I keep looking at real estate up there. Hows the neighborhood?

Boat211

Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking. I keep looking at real estate up there. Hows the neighborhood?
Some areas are better than others for sure. We are in a nice little place called Kono Tayee Estates. Quiet and not a bunch of tweakers. There is also Buckingham which is a nice spot.

bocco

Reaction score
Some areas are better than others for sure. We are in a nice little place called Kono Tayee Estates. Quiet and not a bunch of tweakers. There is also Buckingham which is a nice spot.

My cousin has a place in Paradise Cove next door to Kona Tayee. That's a nice area also. I get up there once or twice a year.

I grew up staying with Family friends in Buckingham Park.

Avoid the Oaks. The canals don't get enough water flow so it's nothing but algee.

I've heard that the town of Clear Lake has lot of tweakers.

Also I think that Konocti is making a comeback.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
when I was a kid in the 50's we would spend 2 -3 weeks near the Oaks A place called Sunset point

AR33

Reaction score
anyone remember the sulfer hottubs in the middle of the lake?

Yea! We used to go to them all the time. We were so bummed when they broke that apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
People died from asphyxiation from gas. they say the walls trapped gas more and too deter people.

Wow, that's terrible people died from that. I can understand why they tore it down. I always remember our lineup of boats stopping, anchoring there and swimming over before the final destination of Konocti Bar. I was too young to go upstairs from the dock. Our family (200-300 depending on the year) would take over Willow Point for 3 weeks. There were so many hotrod low freeboard boats in our family, I grew up thinking that was normal and that everyone went to the races in August. Also remember cruising across the lake to get the Maherajah skiis from the master himself. All the family members who were in the races would get a new ski every year. I still have a faint scar on my leg from the burn caused by the dry stacks on my uncles Litchfield woody. Those were the days. Sorry, just took a little trip down memory lane.

AR33

Reaction score
My parents moved there around 2000 but we always spent a week up there every summer. Used to ski from Clearlake almost all the way to Lakeport. Then go have some Mexican food. Place was so fun. Water was usually flat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Used to love going there as a kid (50-60 yrs ago.) We always stayed a Sully's Big 5 Resort.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
It’s really a shame what’s happened to the quality of the water and the people up there. Green algae stinking water and meth heads all around.

jonnyd

Reaction score
Clearlake is one of my favorite lakes but I am biased as I have so many great memories of family trips to the lake. I have boated on the lake since the early 70s. One thing I will say about the lake is it seems to hold it's own when other lakes are dry. A few years ago during the most extreme year of the drought the entire lake was open and the water actually seemed better than other years. If you are afraid of algae this is not the lake for you but the locals don't seem to mind as certain parts of the lake can be affected more than others.

If you are looking to purchase property I assume you are looking for lake front? If so I wouldn't necessarily exempt any part of the lake from my search although the city of Clearlake is not the best area. The other part I would stay away from would be the north side, Nice & Lucerne mainly because of afternoon wind and waves.

I have rented homes in most areas on the lake for week stays with the family. Lakeport is always high on the list as the west side is better protected from the afternoon wind. The Buckingham/Konocti/Riviera side is always nice too and there is a fun 9 hole golf course at Buckingham.

I like to ski and wakeboard so I always appreciate how few boats are on the lake during the week. I get so spoiled that I almost forget to look over my shoulder prior to turning around for a downed skier.

Attachments

• 20150718_122523.jpg
    20150718_122523.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20160719_104356.jpg
    20160719_104356.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 49

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Are 2 stroke outboards allowed on Clearlake? Thinking about doing a summer trip...