WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Close Call Yesterday

gqchris

Reaction score
This is whats scary to me. All the what ifs. What if she was driving. What if we were in the boat. What if we were in the desert. It most certainly could have gone the other way. I’m super thankful for Buckskin FD. All I could do was get out if the way and hope they could get it under control, and they did. Thank God.

After they all left. She was gone in the ambulance. I’m sitting here with our daughter in disbelief that this could happen so quick. I broke down, but gathered myself up and pulled it together so I could deal with our baby.

She called a couple hours later from Parker Hospital and was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its what nightmares are made out of,sir. I get the chills thinking about your situation. We are the protectors.

Hell, I want to actually add an AED to my jumpkit. Just trying to find a decent priced one because it is another thing that time is of the essence.

Socalx09

Reaction score
That was a scary read, I can't even imagine what you both went through. So happy your wife is ok.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Scary for sure, can't hardly imagine, glad she's okay.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You shoulda just called Tyro fo! lol

(just trying to make you laugh) ;)

Scary shit bro. So glad everything turned out ok for you. 👍

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Im glad the outcome had a happy ending. I’m guessing the fact that the hairspray was aerosolized may have caused the bronchospasm/anaphylaxis. Believe it or not, we run these types of calls frequently. Last shift we had a similar call. Patient had already decontaminated herself when we got there along with some benedryl. A breathing treatment, and sub q epi (our version of an epi pen) and she was good. I’m glad people share these stories because it gets the info out there on how people can help until more help arrives.

jadenchick

Reaction score
I’m so sorry about your wife. I’m so glad your wife is OK! I just threw out that product. I definitely don’t want to be breathing it in. Thanks for the PSA. I’m so glad she’s doing better.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Wow! That's scary. Glad it all worked out and your wife is ok. Crazy to think how quickly things can change in life like that.

oldschool

Reaction score
Glad to hear your wife is ok. That’s scary stuff. I’m sure it’s been mentioned but, I’m sure whatever she is allergic to in that product could be in other products. An Allergist should be able to tell you what it is

Last edited:

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Paul, glad your wife's ok. This post really hits home for me as my son works PT for Buckskin. They took alot of heat for the fireboat incident awhile ago where it seems if you were in the boat that had a pump failure and quick thinking by staff to beach the boat saved money and maybe lives. I respect alot of opinions on RDP, but those bashing the department were, well, fuck you! Those guys do an incredible job with the budget they're given. It's not OC, but your wife is alive and well, and I'd pay an extra X percent for that!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Looks like my friend Jason in there working on her.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Paul, glad your wife's ok. This post really hits home for me as my son works PT for Buckskin. They took alot of heat for the fireboat incident awhile ago where it seems if you were in the boat that had a pump failure and quick thinking by staff to beach the boat saved money and maybe lives. I respect alot of opinions on RDP, but those bashing the department were, well, fuck you! Those guys do an incredible job with the budget they're given. It's not OC, but your wife is alive and well, and I'd pay an extra X percent for that!

I have a lot of friends that work there. They are good guys and the first to help you out when you need them. [emoji120]

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Geez Paul. What a crazy day, sorry to hear that. All that going on and you still had time to chat with me about my the issue with my Howard! Thanks again for the help, I had no idea the day you had. I have asthma and not being able to breathe is some scary shit.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Wild story .. of all things hairspray. Nuts! Glad shes doing good now . Feeling your throat swell shut is scary as fuck! Last year I got hives out of the blue..never had them b4. Went from upper body straight to my throat. Ran into the ER panicked as hell. Gave me a shot that hurt like a bitch!.. but fixed me all up.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Wow, so scary. Glad that you were there still and she's alive and well.

I keep meaning to equip my first aid kit with a Epi Pen, but when they shot up in price a few years ago I hesitated.

After reading this, I'm buying a few asap. Any of you Dr types want to chime in on "the one" to get?

Mikes56

Reaction score
Glad she’s okay. Take the fire station those guys work at a few pizzas around dinner time, it will be greatly appreciated. They’ll probably invite you to stay and eat with them.

Most people take first responders for granted until you need them. It’s amazing that six guys show up to take care of a stranger, huh?

Again, glad your wife is okay.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
After reading Dilligaf’s thread this morning. I thought I’d share what happened yesterday. His thread is a reminder that life is short, and not to take it for granted.

Yesterday was just a typical mid week day for me. Wake up. Feed our little one. Work on the laptop, finish paperwork, and schedule the end of my week. I was making good progress and decided I’d run the dogs down to the dog park for 30 minutes.

My wife was putting the baby down for her first nap and hoping in the shower. I was just waiting for her to get out so I could leave. She gets out, I go outside, start the truck, put the dogs in the truck, pull the truck out of the garage and start gathering up all the household trash to run to the dumpster.

As I go back inside to grab the kitchen trash, my wife comes down the hall and says she feels really weird. She says she itchy everywhere and dizzy. I’m confused at this point, I know she has random food allergies, but we hadn’t eaten yet. I ask her if she’s taken any Benadryl or anything? She gets hives, and I was worried she would start scratching. She has scratched herself enough to draw blood in the past. Anyhow, we couldn’t find Bennadryl in the house, so I grab a Claritin and I tell her to calm down while I run to Circle K and grab some Benadryl.

No bid deal. Truck was already running, it takes five minutes to go across the street. Get to Circle K. Grab Benadryl head back to drop it off so we can go to the dog park. I come in, my wife is on the bed, talking on the phone to the 911 operator and barely able to talk or breathe. Im like wtf is going on. This went from itching to full blown reaction and she can’t breathe. Her throat is swelling shut.

Ok. Baby is in the room crying. I can here her. Truck is running in the neighbors driveway with dogs in it. Wife is in full panic trying to breathe. I’m doing my best to hold the situation together. I open the garages, chalk the door open and get ready for the fire dept to come through. Dogs being in the truck actually worked out pretty well. I look at the garage and see the fire truck going down the street, and around the bend and out of sight.

Holy fuck. Now I’m panicking. I’m not sure how much time until my wife actually can’t get any air in. She’s still holding the phone. Im screaming at the phone now, tell them to turn around. They passed the house. Later the guy said they had the wrong address. [emoji2359]

What seems like a lifetime passes before they come back. At this point things are moving fast. There’s five six guys in the spare bedroom working on her. I cant even get in the room. They gave her an IV, oxygen, breathing treatments. The ambulance guys show up with the gurney. I can hear my wife talking and laughing at this point. Whatever they gave her is working and she can breathe again. Thank God. What a relief.

They ended up taking her to hospital and she was released a couple hours later. This shit escalated so fast. My head was spinning as Im standing in the hallway with Buckskin Fire in the room. How close did we come? I don’t know. But had we been in the boat or in the desert, what would have happened? What if I wasn’t home? Scary shit.

The reaction was to a new hair product she sprayed on after she got out of the shower. The fire guys washed her hair in the bedroom as well to get it off of her. Just some random reaction to that product.

Everyone is fine today. Life is short and you don’t realize how quick shit can happen.

Holy shit.....thats crazy. Glad it ended up well for you and the wife. What a crazy way to get the day started. Appreciation sets in after the adrenaline wears off. What was thought to be big issues before become so small they don't even matter.

Boat 405

Reaction score
After reading Dilligaf’s thread this morning. I thought I’d share what happened yesterday. His thread is a reminder that life is short, and not to take it for granted.

Yesterday was just a typical mid week day for me. Wake up. Feed our little one. Work on the laptop, finish paperwork, and schedule the end of my week. I was making good progress and decided I’d run the dogs down to the dog park for 30 minutes.

My wife was putting the baby down for her first nap and hoping in the shower. I was just waiting for her to get out so I could leave. She gets out, I go outside, start the truck, put the dogs in the truck, pull the truck out of the garage and start gathering up all the household trash to run to the dumpster.

As I go back inside to grab the kitchen trash, my wife comes down the hall and says she feels really weird. She says she itchy everywhere and dizzy. I’m confused at this point, I know she has random food allergies, but we hadn’t eaten yet. I ask her if she’s taken any Benadryl or anything? She gets hives, and I was worried she would start scratching. She has scratched herself enough to draw blood in the past. Anyhow, we couldn’t find Bennadryl in the house, so I grab a Claritin and I tell her to calm down while I run to Circle K and grab some Benadryl.

No bid deal. Truck was already running, it takes five minutes to go across the street. Get to Circle K. Grab Benadryl head back to drop it off so we can go to the dog park. I come in, my wife is on the bed, talking on the phone to the 911 operator and barely able to talk or breathe. Im like wtf is going on. This went from itching to full blown reaction and she can’t breathe. Her throat is swelling shut.

Ok. Baby is in the room crying. I can here her. Truck is running in the neighbors driveway with dogs in it. Wife is in full panic trying to breathe. I’m doing my best to hold the situation together. I open the garages, chalk the door open and get ready for the fire dept to come through. Dogs being in the truck actually worked out pretty well. I look at the garage and see the fire truck going down the street, and around the bend and out of sight.

Holy fuck. Now I’m panicking. I’m not sure how much time until my wife actually can’t get any air in. She’s still holding the phone. Im screaming at the phone now, tell them to turn around. They passed the house. Later the guy said they had the wrong address. [emoji2359]

What seems like a lifetime passes before they come back. At this point things are moving fast. There’s five six guys in the spare bedroom working on her. I cant even get in the room. They gave her an IV, oxygen, breathing treatments. The ambulance guys show up with the gurney. I can hear my wife talking and laughing at this point. Whatever they gave her is working and she can breathe again. Thank God. What a relief.

They ended up taking her to hospital and she was released a couple hours later. This shit escalated so fast. My head was spinning as Im standing in the hallway with Buckskin Fire in the room. How close did we come? I don’t know. But had we been in the boat or in the desert, what would have happened? What if I wasn’t home? Scary shit.

The reaction was to a new hair product she sprayed on after she got out of the shower. The fire guys washed her hair in the bedroom as well to get it off of her. Just some random reaction to that product.

Everyone is fine today. Life is short and you don’t realize how quick shit can happen.

Epipen I carry one everywhere.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Paul, go to the store tomorrow morning and grab a few boxes of children's chewable Benadryl. Each tablet is 12.5 mg, so 2 chewables are equivalent to 1 normal Benadryl pill.

The second she starts to feel weird or looks or act weird, have her chew up two or three tablets, and hold them in her mouth for a while before she swallows. Then tell her to take off her shirt, and watch for hives on her chest or back, which could indicate an impending anaphylactic reaction. Other symptoms would be shortness of breath, wheezing, disorientation, and altered level of consciousness. Monitor the reaction closely, and if it does not stop getting worse, give her another chewable or two.

Early application of Dipenhydramine could have been the solution to her initial problem, an EpiPen would have been the solution to the situation you found when you got back home.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Crazy. Glad it all worked out. I know that feeling of panic and hate it. I have 3 little boys so when things go bad, it happens fast and in multiple directions. Good job staying focused and calm enough. Not everybody reacts well in bad situations.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Paul, go to the store tomorrow morning and grab a few boxes of children's chewable Benadryl. Each tablet is 12.5 mg, so 2 chewables are equivalent to 1 normal Benadryl pill.

The second she starts to feel weird or looks or act weird, have her chew up two or three tablets, and hold them in her mouth for a while before she swallows. Then tell her to take off her shirt, and watch for hives on her chest or back, which could indicate an impending anaphylactic reaction. Other symptoms would be shortness of breath, wheezing, disorientation, and altered level of consciousness. Monitor the reaction closely, and if it does not stop getting worse, give her another chewable or two.

Early application of Dipenhydramine could have been the solution to her initial problem, an EpiPen would have been the solution to the situation you found when you got back home.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

We actually went and got children’s liquid Benadryl. She will always have a bottle of it from now on.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Thankful you could be there for your wife and family. Happy and relieved for the outcome. In these type of situations if you don’t have access to an epi pen, is it possible to get the patient to swallow a Benadryl pill or do most administer a liquid like childrens version?