WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Close Call Yesterday

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
After reading Dilligaf’s thread this morning. I thought I’d share what happened yesterday. His thread is a reminder that life is short, and not to take it for granted.

Yesterday was just a typical mid week day for me. Wake up. Feed our little one. Work on the laptop, finish paperwork, and schedule the end of my week. I was making good progress and decided I’d run the dogs down to the dog park for 30 minutes.

My wife was putting the baby down for her first nap and hoping in the shower. I was just waiting for her to get out so I could leave. She gets out, I go outside, start the truck, put the dogs in the truck, pull the truck out of the garage and start gathering up all the household trash to run to the dumpster.

As I go back inside to grab the kitchen trash, my wife comes down the hall and says she feels really weird. She says she itchy everywhere and dizzy. I’m confused at this point, I know she has random food allergies, but we hadn’t eaten yet. I ask her if she’s taken any Benadryl or anything? She gets hives, and I was worried she would start scratching. She has scratched herself enough to draw blood in the past. Anyhow, we couldn’t find Bennadryl in the house, so I grab a Claritin and I tell her to calm down while I run to Circle K and grab some Benadryl.

No bid deal. Truck was already running, it takes five minutes to go across the street. Get to Circle K. Grab Benadryl head back to drop it off so we can go to the dog park. I come in, my wife is on the bed, talking on the phone to the 911 operator and barely able to talk or breathe. Im like wtf is going on. This went from itching to full blown reaction and she can’t breathe. Her throat is swelling shut.

Ok. Baby is in the room crying. I can here her. Truck is running in the neighbors driveway with dogs in it. Wife is in full panic trying to breathe. I’m doing my best to hold the situation together. I open the garages, chalk the door open and get ready for the fire dept to come through. Dogs being in the truck actually worked out pretty well. I look at the garage and see the fire truck going down the street, and around the bend and out of sight.

Holy fuck. Now I’m panicking. I’m not sure how much time until my wife actually can’t get any air in. She’s still holding the phone. Im screaming at the phone now, tell them to turn around. They passed the house. Later the guy said they had the wrong address. [emoji2359]

What seems like a lifetime passes before they come back. At this point things are moving fast. There’s five six guys in the spare bedroom working on her. I cant even get in the room. They gave her an IV, oxygen, breathing treatments. The ambulance guys show up with the gurney. I can hear my wife talking and laughing at this point. Whatever they gave her is working and she can breathe again. Thank God. What a relief.

They ended up taking her to hospital and she was released a couple hours later. This shit escalated so fast. My head was spinning as Im standing in the hallway with Buckskin Fire in the room. How close did we come? I don’t know. But had we been in the boat or in the desert, what would have happened? What if I wasn’t home? Scary shit.

The reaction was to a new hair product she sprayed on after she got out of the shower. The fire guys washed her hair in the bedroom as well to get it off of her. Just some random reaction to that product.

Everyone is fine today. Life is short and you don’t realize how quick shit can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Wow. Glad everything turned out OK Paul.

I'm guessing breathing the product in after it was sprayed caused the allergic reaction?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
So crazy how fast that went from a normal day to one you and your wife will never forget, glad it has a good ending for you guys.

mbrown2

Reaction score
WTF...wow...hairspray....great to hear it worked out. Terrible experience.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Wow, might be worth finding out what ingredient caused that reaction to avoid future use? Glad she’s ok.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
63769793694__47BF031A-DD70-4CCD-9860-FFB3FF2AE13A.jpg

63769975871__F9152206-1234-4D04-9A65-2AFC1DC726CC.jpg

63769706038__E3115B52-33A6-4E9C-BEEB-0639AA4FD6AB.jpg

63769764193__CE63584B-160B-4DC8-8E5F-5FB060B12DF3.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Jesus glad she’s ok. Might want to talk to your wife’s Dr about getting Epi pens.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Yeah, she has to see her primary to get a prescription for a pen. Thats on the list, along with seeing an allergist.

Shane54

Reaction score
Wow that is scary. So glad that everything worked out and she's going to be okay.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Friggin allergies.... so thankfull I never got those damn things. Glad rescue guys made it in time.

framer1

Reaction score
How did they figure out it was the hairspray? Those guys are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Reaction score
How did they figure out it was the hairspray? Those guys are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He scalp, arms, face and neck were red. Everywhere she sprayed.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
After reading Dilligaf’s thread this morning. I thought I’d share what happened yesterday. His thread is a reminder that life is short, and not to take it for granted.

Yesterday was just a typical mid week day for me. Wake up. Feed our little one. Work on the laptop, finish paperwork, and schedule the end of my week. I was making good progress and decided I’d run the dogs down to the dog park for 30 minutes.

My wife was putting the baby down for her first nap and hoping in the shower. I was just waiting for her to get out so I could leave. She gets out, I go outside, start the truck, put the dogs in the truck, pull the truck out of the garage and start gathering up all the household trash to run to the dumpster.

As I go back inside to grab the kitchen trash, my wife comes down the hall and says she feels really weird. She says she itchy everywhere and dizzy. I’m confused at this point, I know she has random food allergies, but we hadn’t eaten yet. I ask her if she’s taken any Benadryl or anything? She gets hives, and I was worried she would start scratching. She has scratched herself enough to draw blood in the past. Anyhow, we couldn’t find Bennadryl in the house, so I grab a Claritin and I tell her to calm down while I run to Circle K and grab some Benadryl.

No bid deal. Truck was already running, it takes five minutes to go across the street. Get to Circle K. Grab Benadryl head back to drop it off so we can go to the dog park. I come in, my wife is on the bed, talking on the phone to the 911 operator and barely able to talk or breathe. Im like wtf is going on. This went from itching to full blown reaction and she can’t breathe. Her throat is swelling shut.

Ok. Baby is in the room crying. I can here her. Truck is running in the neighbors driveway with dogs in it. Wife is in full panic trying to breathe. I’m doing my best to hold the situation together. I open the garages, chalk the door open and get ready for the fire dept to come through. Dogs being in the truck actually worked out pretty well. I look at the garage and see the fire truck going down the street, and around the bend and out of sight.

Holy fuck. Now I’m panicking. I’m not sure how much time until my wife actually can’t get any air in. She’s still holding the phone. Im screaming at the phone now, tell them to turn around. They passed the house. Later the guy said they had the wrong address. [emoji2359]

What seems like a lifetime passes before they come back. At this point things are moving fast. There’s five six guys in the spare bedroom working on her. I cant even get in the room. They gave her an IV, oxygen, breathing treatments. The ambulance guys show up with the gurney. I can hear my wife talking and laughing at this point. Whatever they gave her is working and she can breathe again. Thank God. What a relief.

They ended up taking her to hospital and she was released a couple hours later. This shit escalated so fast. My head was spinning as Im standing in the hallway with Buckskin Fire in the room. How close did we come? I don’t know. But had we been in the boat or in the desert, what would have happened? What if I wasn’t home? Scary shit.

The reaction was to a new hair product she sprayed on after she got out of the shower. The fire guys washed her hair in the bedroom as well to get it off of her. Just some random reaction to that product.

Everyone is fine today. Life is short and you don’t realize how quick shit can happen.

WTF... how did the fire guys know to wash her hair based on products used.... oh that's right, they are fireman. 😂

Serious note, that story is scary as hell. Glad it all worked out ok.

Ladsm

Reaction score
My daughter is a hair stylist and uses all kinds of chemicals on hair, Just sent her this.

Thank goodness Havasu didnt defund first responders

Reactions: DWC

gqchris

Reaction score
Close Call for sure! Glad to hear she is OK.

I carry Benadryl in all of my first aid kits. But the Epi pen is really what was needed.

My first call when I worked on a rig in Vegas was for a teenager at the MGM Grand that was having a shellfish reaction. We were unfortunately too late and couldn't save her. Still sticks to me even 22 years later.

Last edited:

rickym20

Reaction score
Couldn’t imagine going through that , scary shit.Thanks for sharing to help educate the rest of us. Will help me identify a issue if I am around it in the future. Glad everything is Good now.

DWC

Reaction score
Absolutely terrifying. Glad it worked out.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Man I've been there and it's the hardest thing to go through knowing there is nothing you can do. Sorry man, scary for sure!

This may sound a little weird, and some will call bullshit. But you guys should look into acupuncture for her.

My wife was allergic to everything, pet dander, grass, flowers, chemicals, ect. With asthma on top of it. Always had an inhaler with her at all times. She had a reaction one time that is just the way you described. She ended up in ICU for a day and had to stay in the hospital for 3 with breathing treatments every couple hours! Scariest shit I've ever been through!

About 10 or so years(probably closer to 15)ago she met a lady that came in to have a massage. They started talking and somehow the asthma and allergies came up the lady, Jade, told her she could help her as she is a homeopathic acupuncture therapist. And if Tiff was willing to try it, Jade would be willing to trade. She came home and told me about it and both of us being skeptical that it would help, it was worth a try. Jade told her that it wasnt going to change after one or two sessions but if she stuck with it she was pretty confident she could help. After about 3 months of going in every 2 weeks we started seen improvements. She could pet animals, besides ours, and wouldnt break out into a rash. And wasnt using her inhaler quite as often. And it progressed from there just kept getting better. Not sure how long it took to get to the point she is at now maybe a year or 2. But she still sees Jade every two week till this day, over 12yrs now! She hasn't even bought an inhaler in I dont know how long but I'd say probably 10yrs. Her allergies are very minimal and it has been the most amazing investment we have ever made!!she actually started feeling shitty again after the first couple months of the COVID-19 lockdown as she was not able to see her. They talked and started seeing each other from at home! It amazes me what Jade does and the improvements to has made. It even helps with colds, headaches, bruises, ect.

She hasn't had an issue with allergies, needed an inhaler or had to take benadryl or any other meds in along time! And I dint have to worry, like you said, being at the lake, the river, the dunes, ect.. its been a blessing for sure!

Like I said some people may call bs but seeing it first hand and living it day to day. I cannot thank Jade enough! And Tiff will never quit seeing her!!

Sorry for the long post but your story just brought back memories of some of my scariest and most helpless feeling I've experienced in my life!!

Glad your wife is ok!

Last edited:

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Also keep in mind the pens expire every two years I think.
Speaking of this, does anyone know for sure? There is a clear window on the side of the pen and it says if it's cloudy, it's no good. It doesn't say that if it's clear it's good though. I've got a few pens that are a few years old...ones I paid $200+ for when the co-pays were stoopid...kinda hate to throw them away if they aren't bad.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Happy for you and your wife that she's OK. Scary how fast things can happen. Glad she recovered quickly.

I wonder what ingredient in that product caused her reaction.

My wife has severe asthma and many products (usually those with strong fragrances) will set off an asthma attack. Some of the most dangerous people are the mostly older women who bathe in stinky perfume.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Happy for you and your wife that she's OK. Scary how fast things can happen. Glad she recovered quickly.

My wife has severe asthma and many products (usually those with strong fragrances) will set off an asthma attack. Some of the most dangerous people are the mostly older women who bathe in stinky perfume.

See post #28.. seriously, I was skeptical and didnt think it would work!! But to this day I will encourage anyone to try it! Find a good therapist, stick with it and it helps!! I would spend my last $100 to make sure my wife doesnt miss an appointment!

propcheck

Reaction score
Speaking of this, does anyone know for sure? There is a clear window on the side of the pen and it says if it's cloudy, it's no good. It doesn't say that if it's clear it's good though. I've got a few pens that are a few years old...ones I paid $200+ for when the co-pays were stoopid...kinda hate to throw them away if they aren't bad.
As a person allergic to bees and some pharma background I personally get them replaced on the exp date because the exp date on a med is when the potency can begin to diminish and I want my epi and albuterol and benadryl at peak performance

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah, she has to see her primary to get a prescription for a pen. Thats on the list, along with seeing an allergist.

Dude! glad she's ok. And an epi pen should be a priority!! Our daughter has shell fish allergies pretty bad and getting worse as she gets older. We got her a couple of epi pens so she can travel with one as well. That's scary as shit man. Really glad it worked out ok Paul.

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Wow Paul that must have been some scary moments.

Now women all over are going to use this just to get firefighters to come over and wash their hair. :)

[emoji16]. Thats funny.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh wow. How terrifying. So glad this story had a happy ending. Also glad y'all are gonna get an epi pen.

Oh, and... I hate anything Sun Bum. Total crap. Lol

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

RCDave

Reaction score
Dang! So glad she is OK. Scary.

One time my wife ordered a food dish with an unusual kind if mushroom in it. My wife's throat started to close up. Those are very scary moments for sure

Reactions: DWC

500bbc

Reaction score
That had to be terrifying.
If she doesn't get the hives under control have her doc prescribe "Triamcinolone Acetonide" cream. Beats hell out of any cortisone ointment I've tried.

RichL

Reaction score
Wow. Glad to hear she's OK after all that.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

They do expire. Look on the packaging as there should be an expiration date on them. It sucks because they are expensive. We went to syringes for epi administration on our ambo's because of the cost of the pens and the expiration. As a side note and why medical care is expensive, pretty much everything we have on our ambo's have an expiration date and we have to replace when expired. I swear, a fucking tongue depressor has an expiration date. :mad:

Outdrive1

Reaction score

Thanks bud. She does have bad asthma and carries an inhaler. Along with a bunch of random food allergies that usually result in hives and itchy throat. This is the first time her throat has ever swollen shut. They say allergies progress with age. Its something we will have to take serious from here on out.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Wow sorry you went thru that
Sunburn
My buddy that owns the bait shop bar sells that I’ll let him know

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

I carry Benadryl in all of my first aid kits. But the Epi pen is really what was needed.

My first call when I worked on a rig in Vegas was for a teenager at the MGM Grand that was having a shellfish reaction. We were unfortunately too late and couldn't save her. Still sticks to me even 22 years later.

I do as well. I'd like to have Albuterol or epinephrine too but not unless someone else wants to sponsor me I can't afford to.

Sorry about your first call. I know how tough it is to lose a patient even when you've done everything you can.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

This is whats scary to me. All the what ifs. What if she was driving. What if we were in the boat. What if we were in the desert. It most certainly could have gone the other way. I’m super thankful for Buckskin FD. All I could do was get out if the way and hope they could get it under control, and they did. Thank God.

After they all left. She was gone in the ambulance. I’m sitting here with our daughter in disbelief that this could happen so quick. I broke down, but gathered myself up and pulled it together so I could deal with our baby.

She called a couple hours later from Parker Hospital and was fine.

gqchris

Reaction score
I do as well. I'd like to have Albuterol or epinephrine too but not unless someone else wants to sponsor me I can't afford to.

Sorry about your first call. I know how tough it is to lose a patient even when you've done everything you can.
Scares the crap out of me thinking of my wife or my daughters needing it in the middle of the 40 or the desert.

On that first call, since I was only an EMT Intermediate, wasnt much I could do except push Epi and assist my medic He was super seasoned and rendered care, we were just too late, never got rhythm back on way in. It was the first time I saw an Emergent tracheostomy (Cricothyroidotomy ) in the field. I want to say it was performed by a flight nurse riding with FD, but it was a long time ago. Damn, that was a tough one.

I do miss patient care and riding on a rig, but Im glad I chose getting into computers after about 6 years. Those scenes never leave you. Hats off to you as well sir.

Never leaves your blood though either and I impressed my girlfriend at the time about 10 years ago when a drunk kid smashed his jetski into the bridge underneath the Avi. We pulled him out. I was on the launch ramp holding Cspine and ABC's. He was lucky being drunk, pretty much came out unharmed. I got laid that night like never before. She never knew my background and said it was amazing how I took over the scene with 40 people just watching. The next morning, I got a huge thank you letter from the family of the kid on my hotel door.

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
WOW Paul, so glad she is OK, amazing how quickly things can change. Note to self, carry extra benadryl all the time just in case...