WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Close to purchasing first boat----question

East Wood

Reaction score
So mama and I are close to making our first boat purchase. Hallett 210. It has a wakeboard tower which we do not want, is it a big deal to take off and "plug" the holes were it was mounted? is this something I can do myself?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Gel Coat work /color matching is an art in and of itself.
Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.
Matching the color is one thing . . . doing it so it doesn't spider crack is another.
If it's just screw holes into the gunwales you could always just put polished stainless steel screws into the old mounting holes lathered in 3m 5200. ( I know I'm gonna get crucified by the members here for even suggesting that) . . . just depends on your level of expectations.
If you've got larger 'holes' that are beyond screw size, it would be much better to let a professional handle that . . . unless you have a good bit of experience doing fiberglass / gel coat.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Gel Coat work /color matching is an art in and of itself.
Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.
Matching the color is one thing . . . doing it so it doesn't spider crack is another.
If it's just screw holes into the gunwales you could always just put polished stainless steel screws into the old mounting holes lathered in 3m 5200. ( I know I'm gonna get crucified by the members here for even suggesting that) . . . just depends on your level of expectations.
If you've got larger 'holes' that are beyond screw size, it would be much better to let a professional handle that . . . unless you have a good bit of experience doing fiberglass / gel coat.
Actually this is the best advice for a new boat/boat owner. You don't know what other mechanical issues that you might run into at this point and you should have a nest egg of $ to deal with it. A couple of stainless button heads aren't going to kill that budget at this point. You can deal with the cosmetic repairs at a later date.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Personally I would take your boat to the shop and have them do full fluid changes engine / drive / impeller. Do not take previous owners word and you can keep track of hours until next service easier.

Buy a nice box anchor and sand spike with appropriate lines. Buy five nice matching dock lines. Pick up two pool noodles matching the boat colors. A nice soft sided cooler and a set of 6 white large seat towels. Verify you have 4 matching buoys. Having all of the above will make days on the water more enjoyable.

kat_williams

Reaction score
I would put some anodized allen head screws in the holes to match the color scheme of the boat and deal with it at a later time if it still bothers you.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Post up a picture of the existing brackets. Maybe a small plate instead of individual bolt heads. My 240 came with one of those offshore radio antennas mounted on the side so I made a stainless plate to cover the area temporarily (10 years ago lol) until I could get the gel redone.
A7AEF19C-DCEB-4194-9623-E2E705D33B73.jpeg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Post up a picture of the existing brackets. Maybe a small plate instead of individual bolt heads. My 240 came with one of those offshore radio antennas mounted on the side so I made a stainless plate to cover the area temporarily (10 years ago lol) until I could get the gel redone.
View attachment 1093573
Dude....that bottom left screw is off...just a cunt hair though.😂😂😂😂

East Wood

Reaction score
Personally I would take your boat to the shop and have them do full fluid changes engine / drive / impeller. Do not take previous owners word and you can keep track of hours until next service easier.

Buy a nice box anchor and sand spike with appropriate lines. Buy five nice matching dock lines. Pick up two pool noodles matching the boat colors. A nice soft sided cooler and a set of 6 white large seat towels. Verify you have 4 matching buoys. Having all of the above will make days on the water more enjoyable.
great info! thank you so much. dont laugh, but im curious what are the pool noodles for?

gqchris

Reaction score
I got some extra Teal and I think some white Hallett stickers I made if ya like for your truck, trailer etc. Just cover shipping cost!

East Wood

Reaction score
Yore kidding right...?
Would I have asked if I was kidding? I don’t know, is it the obvious using it in the water or is there some handy use for them and it’s a cool idea to have them match the boat. I’m a newbie

East Wood

Reaction score
I got some extra Teal and I think some white Hallett stickers I made if ya like for your truck, trailer etc. Just cover shipping cost!
That’s awesome!! Thank you, if it works out I’ll reach out for sure

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Would I have asked if I was kidding? I don’t know, is it the obvious using it in the water or is there some handy use for them and it’s a cool idea to have them match the boat. I’m a newbie
Ha ha. Yep..just like you use them in the pool.. ya use them to float in the lake ..or river..wherever you're boatin

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So mama and I are close to making our first boat purchase. Hallett 210. It has a wakeboard tower which we do not want, is it a big deal to take off and "plug" the holes were it was mounted? is this something I can do myself?
My brothers Eliminator 20.5 had a tower on it when he bought it. He removed it and put anodized screws and washers to match his other hardware. Looks good, and no gel repair required. I think he had a sizable hole on each side that he may have put a mushroom cleat

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new addiction.

If you choose to repair, I’d recommend Bodyline in Havasu. I punched the nose on the winch stand. There was 4/5 hand mixed colors in the 3” repair.

I defy anyone to find that repair or any evidence of it.

Reactions: DWC

nowski

Reaction score
Not knowing the design of the mounting hardware used for the tower you mention, a simple fix might be a popup fender cleat. Just google "Popup Fender Cleat" and you'll have all types of cleats pop up (pun intended) on the screen. I hope this helps and Congrats on the new ride...

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score

If you’re somewhat mechanically inclined you can remove the tower and mounting hardware yourself. Usually takes two people; one holding up the tower while standing between the seats and the other person removing each of the four bolts. Looks like you’ll also need to disconnect some wiring too. It’s def a six pack job 🍻

As you’ve read, there’s plenty of non-invasive “plug” options once you pull the mounting brackets. I believe the ones on that boat have a large stud protruding through the gunwale with a fender washer and nut underneath. You should have four quarter size holes to worry about + the smaller one for wiring.

Do you have any pics of the bimini down? That could be something you might have to modify if it’s wakeboard tower specific.

I mentioned non-invasive earlier because I think that’s your best option as a new boater. Has the lowest cost and maximizes time on the water. Your spend should be much more heavy gearing up on practical things that have a direct impact on you and your guests.

This is the boat right?
542B311C-A21E-4E95-8CC5-706504CC15A4.jpeg

B1331CD3-795D-495D-A15F-71D68EA65EAD.jpeg

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
If you’re somewhat mechanically inclined you can remove the tower and mounting hardware yourself. Usually takes two people; one holding up the tower while standing between the seats and the other person removing each of the four bolts. Looks like you’ll also need to disconnect some wiring too. It’s def a six pack job 🍻

As you’ve read, there’s plenty of non-invasive “plug” options once you pull the mounting brackets. I believe the ones on that boat have a large stud protruding through the gunwale with a fender washer and nut underneath. Basically meaning you should have four quarter size holes to worry about + the smaller one for wiring.

I mentioned non-invasive earlier because I think that’s your best option as a new boater. Has the lowest cost and maximizes time on the water. Your spend should be much more heavy gearing up on practical things that have a direct impact on you and your guests.

This is the boat right?
View attachment 1093639
View attachment 1093640
The tower comes apart easy with one person. Undo the front bars, lay it back and remove. Had one on our 210 as well. Mounted back further. Not sure who and why they installed this one like it is. It a 210 it is nice as it keeps the boards and skis out of the boat. Makes all watersports better.

rebelmark75

Reaction score

Yes to all this!

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@Runs2rch this one could possibly fold forward but def doesn’t fold back. Older design for sure as there’s no articulation with the brackets.

I’m not much of a water sports guy so I’d pull the tower too. However I’m also learning that nothing is a simple job on a boat so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Runs2rch

Reaction score
@Runs2rch this one could possibly fold forward but def doesn’t fold back. Older design for sure as there’s no articulation with the brackets.

I’m not much of a water sports guy so I’d pull the tower too. However I’m also learning that nothing is a simple job on a boat so 🤷🏻‍♂️
It is the same 13th floor tower we had. Hard to tell in the pics but the base mounts pivot and will move forward or backward.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Your question was a good one. Looks like you're approaching your first boat with your eyes open and a willingness to learn. I applaud you for that.

East Wood

Reaction score
UPDATE- the 210 at Maxed sold before I could get to it. I live in central california. Anyway, I have a deal on a 92' Eliminator Comp Ski boat that I am scheduled to lake test tomorrow at Lake Perris, wish me luck. thanks for all the input

Riverryder

Reaction score
Pics of said boat? There’s so many nice smaller boats being posted I wouldn’t jump on anything until it feels right. I saw a couple Laveys posted on market place in the past couple days

bocco

Reaction score
UPDATE- the 210 at Maxed sold before I could get to it. I live in central california. Anyway, I have a deal on a 92' Eliminator Comp Ski boat that I am scheduled to lake test tomorrow at Lake Perris, wish me luck. thanks for all the input
I would keep looking. The Eliminator comp ski boat doesn't compare to the Hallett 210 unless you are a hard core water skier.

East Wood

Reaction score

East Wood

Reaction score
ive been looking for a while. seems clean...

East Wood

Reaction score
upon further investigation some of my suspicions have been confirmed thanks to the help of @BIGRED9158! The camaraderie of RDP strikes again.

Im a picky motherfucker and been looking for a long time, driving my wife crazy, nice to know im in the presence of like minded picky motherfuckers 😂

Runs2rch

Reaction score
upon further investigation some of my suspicions have been confirmed thanks to the help of @BIGRED9158! The camaraderie of RDP strikes again.

Im a picky motherfucker and been looking for a long time, driving my wife crazy, nice to know im in the presence of like minded picky motherfuckers 😂
Eh not all. Plenty of 9/10 people here boats that are 5/10's.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Tournament ski boats were designed for a closed course, outside of the closed course and your going to take a pounding...
As said above👆Keep looking, that Eliminator is small and was made to not produce a wake so in rough water it’s gonna suck

counterpart7

Reaction score
What was the price on that 210 from MOM? There are a few super clean 210s on the Hallett Owners FB page in the 30K range.