WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Closed cell foam or wood

Dand355

Reaction score
Got a question for you fiberglassers and boat pros..
Im replacing the strngers and bulkheads in my stevens. I wanted to use a close cell foam for tge stringers and fiberglass honeycomb sheets (nidacore) for bulkheads instead of wood. Ive used theses products before. All the euros use it in there yatchs. Super lite and strong. Are these type products used in the newer drag / oval racers ?
What do you guys think?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Got a question for you fiberglassers and boat pros..
Im replacing the strngers and bulkheads in my stevens. I wanted to use a close cell foam for tge stringers and fiberglass honeycomb sheets (nidacore) for bulkheads instead of wood. Ive used theses products before. All the euros use it in there yatchs. Super lite and strong. Are these type products used in the newer drag / oval racers ?
What do you guys think?
Good question. I have no idea:D
Will be watching to see what response you get.

Dand355

Reaction score
Ok. I finnaly track down my fiberglasser (havnt talked in 2yrs). Asked some questions. Got my answers.

lenmann

Reaction score
Care to share what you learned? This one piqued my interest too.

Dand355

Reaction score
Well didnt find out if the later yr boats use closed cell foam or nida core pannels.
Heres what little i know ,miss budwiser in the mid 70s recked at the maimi marine stadium i watched it. i got and still have a part of the hydro. Guess what it had faom sandwiched between fiberglas..
Ime closed cell foam is not strong by itself. You have layup more glass to make it strong. Cant screw into it . cant thru bolt with out a sleeve or it would crush.all you mounting hareware must have tabs fiberglassed inplace to bolt up to . nice and light and expensive. Nida core panels great product for bullheads , fuel tanks water tanks etc. Again hardeware . so im going to say away from those products until i talk to some here.

Dand355

Reaction score
Here i mean in south fl. Im going to drop a name. Harry Schoell i knew him since i was a kid in tge 60s. I used to wacth him and my best freinds dad boat race . his boat line is infinty Yacht. Google him. I ve refited 2 of his ships thru out tge years.anyway have a lunch date with him to talk about old times and foam construction. Read his bio he started useing balsa core constrution. He patented stepp hulls.Hes the shit.
I will let you know how it turns out.
I still want to get rid of all the wood amd try to use 21century products.