WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CO2 Tanks

Meaney77

Reaction score
Anyone have a hook up on portable CO2 tanks and regulators? Looking for one to bring along in my trailer and avoid having to bring my air compressor.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Have you considered CO2 such as https://powertank.com/

Ya, I saw these kits and they are cool but I thought I could get a bit of a larger tank to keep in my enclosed trailer to fill up tires and run tools if needed. I know you can find the CO2 tanks of CL for cheap and then purchase the regulator. Just not sure what regulator I need. You can make your own kit for much less than what these kits are selling for.

Icky

Reaction score
You can pick up everything you need at an air gas or prax air. We don't use them often anymore cause running 35s plus takes alot of air. We have nitrogen tanks for filling shocks etc

My next thing to do is get an on board air compressor like a viair and mount it to the truck with a 5 gallon tank or two

grumpy88

Reaction score
I would like a nitrogen tank and valve system for my shocks but they were so dam expensive .

Meaney77

Reaction score
So I guess I have a bit of a stupid question.... Strictly for filling up tires and possibly running some air tools- should I be looking for a CO2 tank or Nitrogen tank?

Most or the kits they sell at 4 Wheel Parts and off Road stores are CO2 however, I know you can go to tire shops and they fill your tires with Nitrogen. I did a search with google and it looks like people are using both? Are their pros and cons to one or the other?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I have c02 tanks for pool work. I get refilled at airgas. You can get everything you need from them.
Note I think you want nitrogen not co2. Co2 comes out cold AF, ( how dry ice is made, spray tank into a towel and you can make a dry ice block )
as in can turn plastics and some rubber into glass and shatter. I made a smart choice one year and brought tank in boat to fill up inner tubes quick. As in seconds. Filled it, went to screw fill back on and tube shattered damn near like glass. Lmao! Oooops there goes a few hundred dollar float

If you have gen why not just buy small compressor, I just picked one up for my trailer I think it's 5 gal. Can run air tools etc. had lines ran inside and outside of trailer
An air tank with tools I wouldn't imagine would last very long, as in maybe swap tires on a car once

Edit:shit I just googled it and smiitybuilt has some systems just for that for couple hundred bucks. Hmmmm maybe with regulator makes it "safe" for rubber etc, lol

Last edited:

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
For airing up tires, you want co2. A similar sized co2 tank has substantially more volume than a nitrogen tank. Nitrogen is stored as a gas in the tank at 3500 psi. Co2 condenses into a liquid and turns into a vapor when released. You end up with much more useable volume. Co2 will come out cold, a regulator that doesn't freeze is better.

I have a 20lb and a 5lb co2. I take the 5 with me on trails and the 20 stays at camp. I can air my 37's on my tow vehicle from 8 back to ~60 3-4 trips before needing a refill on the 20. The 5 will air the tires of the crawler (40's) from 5-20 about the same number of trips.

I also have a bunch of different OBA systems. RV2, York, quick air 3, ARB, viair and a smittybuilt (I have a compressor fetish...lol). The co2 is way faster and convenient until it's empty. The belt driven compressors (rv2 and York) are badass, but take a lot more work to setup and require the truck to be running. The electric ones are all mediocre. They work, but slower. The bigger ones I have will draw 40-50 amps so they still require a lot of battery or and engine running.

There is no perfect solution. I would suggest if you go co2, get a cheaper electric compressor to run off the batt just in case you run out of co2. The little red ~60$ smittybuilt ones work pretty decent for the price if they aren't your sole air source and you aren't in a hurry.

Lemme know if you need any help piecing a system together.

Jeff

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have c02 tanks for pool work. I get refilled at airgas. You can get everything you need from them.
Note I think you want nitrogen not co2. Co2 comes out cold AF, ( how dry ice is made, spray tank into a towel and you can make a dry ice block )
as in can turn plastics and some rubber into glass and shatter. I made a smart choice one year and brought tank in boat to fill up inner tubes quick. As in seconds. Filled it, went to screw fill back on and tube shattered damn near like glass. Lmao! Oooops there goes a few hundred dollar float

If you have gen why not just buy small compressor, I just picked one up for my trailer I think it's 5 gal. Can run air tools etc. had lines ran inside and outside of trailer
An air tank with tools I wouldn't imagine would last very long, as in maybe swap tires on a car once

Edit:shit I just googled it and smiitybuilt has some systems just for that for couple hundred bucks. Hmmmm maybe with regulator makes it "safe" for rubber etc, lol
For airing up tires, you want co2. A similar sized co2 tank has substantially more volume than a nitrogen tank. Nitrogen is stored as a gas in the tank at 3500 psi. Co2 condenses into a liquid and turns into a vapor when released. You end up with much more useable volume. Co2 will come out cold, a regulator that doesn't freeze is better.

I have a 20lb and a 5lb co2. I take the 5 with me on trails and the 20 stays at camp. I can air my 37's on my tow vehicle from 8 back to ~60 3-4 trips before needing a refill on the 20. The 5 will air the tires of the crawler (40's) from 5-20 about the same number of trips.

I also have a bunch of different OBA systems. RV2, York, quick air 3, ARB, viair and a smittybuilt (I have a compressor fetish...lol). The co2 is way faster and convenient until it's empty. The belt driven compressors (rv2 and York) are badass, but take a lot more work to setup and require the truck to be running. The electric ones are all mediocre. They work, but slower. The bigger ones I have will draw 40-50 amps so they still require a lot of battery or and engine running.

There is no perfect solution. I would suggest if you go co2, get a cheaper electric compressor to run off the batt just in case you run out of co2. The little red ~60$ smittybuilt ones work pretty decent for the price if they aren't your sole air source and you aren't in a hurry.

Lemme know if you need any help piecing a system together.

Jeff

Thanks for the info Guys,

I have a small compressor already sitting in the trailer, but its just one more thing to trip over. Its small so filling up tires, and whatever else takes time. It doesn't get used often and I just thought having a tank that was strapped down in the trailer and pretty much ready to go whenever needed might be the way to go. The tanks can be found on craigslist on the cheap, its just a matter of finding the right regulator which is pretty cheap too. There was a guy on Glamis Dunes who was selling them set up and ready to go, I was looking for the thread but was unsuccessful over there.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have a 10lb power tank bottle and it's awesome for tires and tools. I always used it as a back up to my oba kit using a viar compressor.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Poly sells the 150psi fixed flow reg's for 40$. You can probably find them a bit cheaper too.
https://www.polyperformance.com/poly-performance-co2-fixed-regulator-227c-150

Also, once you get co2, if you have something you want to air up quick buy some powertank monster valves. I have some of those an they allow stupid quick deflation and inflation. The co2 provides enough air to make use of the quick inflation, a 12v compressor not so much. Heres a chart powertank has that shows how much you can air a certain size from a certain psi to another.

Attachments

• pt.gif
    pt.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 334