WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coca-cola out as NHRA sponsor

renodaytona

Reaction score
Coke (mellow yellow) is out and a lawsuit on top of it.

rrrr

Reaction score
When the NHRA came up with their idiotic plan to make the fuel classes run 1,000', they started digging their grave. A 3.6 second/335 MPH race is insanely expensive, and if they had cut the fuel pumps and removed one mag six years ago there would still be full fields.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Bummer that NHRA is suing Coke-Cola. It looks bad for future sponsors and most likely will lose when the Cola lawyers use the force majeure clause due to the 2020 pandemic. So many companies are using this to escape contracts unfortunately.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that 1000' foot racing was one of the final nails in their coffin... As I've said many times, go back to 1/4 mile racing, remove the electronics totally, discourage teams that "share" information with huge budgets, count points from "day one" to the final race of the year. Kids under 12, or maybe 15, get in free. Use local tracks for Wednesday night test/tune/grudge racing...With a $10. maybe $15 entry and maybe a "Parimutuel" bracket purse.... If NHRA is to survive they will have to go back to "grass roots" racing and build it back up.
Ray
PS REQUIRE all the pro fuel teams to "whack" the throttle during warm up to excite the few remaining fans:eek:
PSS Bring back "64 funny cars" and the ever popular "Fox Hunts":oops:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Do you guys really think that 320’ of track that affects 2 classes of racing is the difference between the NHRA surviving or not surviving?
“Few remaining fans”?
The last REAL National event this year was sold out in Phoenix. I was there. It was one of the most packed races I’ve ever been to, and I’ve been to well over 50 National events all over the country.
Does anyone even remember why they went to 1000’ Fuel races? I vividly remember the mushroom cloud Scott died in. I vividly remember Connie saying “Scott’s gone”.
I’ll never forget standing there watching his crew packing stuff up with the car and driver gone.
It was either shorten to 1000’ or most of the venues would not be able to host a National.
Do you see what happens now when chutes don’t deploy? They’re in the net or worse.
Can you imagine the MPH with 320 more feet of acceleration AND 320’ less shut down?

What would you be saying if venues were forced to add 500’ plus to their shut down areas? What about most venues that couldn’t possibly do it because of property or zoning problems?
Would NHRA then be the evil body forcing them out of the circuit?
Tracks are old. They aren’t long enough anymore.
It’s easy to bitch about 1000’ racing, but it’s really not a deal breaker for fans in the seats. 320’ doesn’t matter.
It’s a FAR bigger deal breaker to plug cars into the net every round.
Look, the NHRA has problems.
This covid bullshit may be the death blow for them just like it is for countless other businesses in this country.
I can’t believe they are even trying to run a make believe season right now.
But the same old rhetoric isn’t what’s killing them.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
It's not the 320', it's the cost of running 1,000' with no constraints on budget. Racing cannot survive on unlimited money. CanAm and F5000 proved that. NASCAR has had cost controls for years, IndyCar has become a spec racing series with one chassis and two engine builders, and as the prime example, I give you the latest news from F1. No more $500 million dollar teams with 2,000 employees. It's over.

The NHRA has been completely irresponsible in this regard. That's why I mentioned fuel pump limitations and a single mag. That would have resulted in cost reductions totalling hundreds of millions of dollars since Scott Kalitta died. They didn't need to shorten the track, they needed to slow down the cars.

You said the fans couldn't tell the difference between 1320' and 1,000'. They can't tell the difference between a 3.65 and a 4.30 either.

And it wasn't "most of the venues" that would have required additional shutdown areas.

1. Englishtown

Your comments that cars end up in the nets today is a function of speed, not track distance. The NHRA has screwed themselves, and JFR isn't racing. Who's to blame?

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It's not the 320', it's the cost of running 1,000' with no constraints on budget. Racing cannot survive on unlimited money. CanAm and F5000 proved that. NASCAR has had cost controls for years, IndyCar has become a spec racing series with one chassis and two engine builders, and as the prime example, I give you the latest news from F1. No more $500 million dollar teams with 2,000 employees. It's over.

The NHRA has been completely irresponsible in this regard. That's why I mentioned fuel pump limitations and a single mag. That would have resulted in cost reductions totalling hundreds of millions of dollars since Scott Kalitta died. They didn't need to shorten the track, they needed to slow down the cars.

You said the fans couldn't tell the difference between 1320' and 1,000'. They can't tell the difference between a 3.65 and a 4.30 either.

And it wasn't "most of the venues" that would have required additional shutdown areas.

1. Englishtown

Your comments that cars end up in the nets today is a function of speed, not track distance. The NHRA has screwed themselves, and JFR isn't racing. Who's to blame?

I’m not a fan of restrictor plate racing.

rrrr

Reaction score
Then be prepared for continually diminishing fuel car entries.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Open it back up and see who has THE Balls to Die.
Sport is Sport.
I'm willing to bet more people have died coming and going to races in the last 29 years than have died participating.
Haha,, I bet if they stop selling Beer Almost every race event that involves internal combustion will dry out and die.

rrrr

Reaction score
Open it back up and see who has THE Balls to Die.
Sport is Sport.

As someone that was involved in professional racing and has had friends die doing it, I find your comment quite offensive.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
As someone that was involved in professional racing and has had friends die doing it, I find your comment quite offensive.
Post the whole quote, It is there for everyone to read.
I have lost friends doing what they loved.

Sorry you are offended at one aspect of sports.

There are solid statistics out there. Prove me wrong.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
1000ft racing isn’t what’s doing it. Hell, look at drag racing around the country, it’s all 1/8mi!

Have you guys seen how much it costs to run to NASCAR cup car? Last I saw was $25M for the season. Or god forbid formula one who is up in the $200M range even with cost caps. Actually makes running a Nitro fuel car for $6-7M look pretty cheap.

jones performance

Reaction score
nhra has lost its way with the "little" guy. nobody can relate to the the pro ranks.. look at the insane popularity of the no prep scene, street car stuff and the race week stuff. you have street car events that pay the winners significantly more than a nhra pro class win at times.

nhra has also outpriced itself i feel. tickets are too expensive, food and other concessions are too expensive, parking is expensive.. for me me i dont feel the cost of everything was worth what i got.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I still Love the Front Engine Rails, "A" Altereds (Pure Hell) and Pro Mods. Do what you have to do to maybe create new interest and or bring back some of the Lost Die Hards.

I believe that unless it is in their Blood or the Family these Young Kids have no interest in Motor Sports.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I can’t wait for a real NHRA National event again.
I hope they don’t fold.
I love Friday night street drags, local drags, hell, ANY kind of drag racing.
If you’ve never been to a 200’ mud drag in Northern Florida you haven’t lived.
Imagine a Shafiroff or sonny Leonard 700+ incher in a tube frame with paddle tires and a Vette body pinned to it using 10 pounds of nitrous per pass covering the 200’ of 3’ deep mud in 2.5 seconds from a standing start.
It’s an explosion of violence that’s hard to describe.

But none of the tired criticism of NHRA that I read on here manifests itself at any National event I’ve been to for the last 40 years.
None.
It’s the traveling circus. The greatest show on earth.
At least from a fans eyes.
It’s a spectacle of the highest order.

Covid might have killed it. I hope not.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
LOL Camping world.

Sorry but looked them up, they are worth $500 million. A good chunk of change. But not even close to what Coca Cola could bring. They are worth 80+Billion.

So what?
Cokes yearly NHRA title sponsor payment was $5.72 million annually over 6 years...in installments no less.
I would imagine a deal with CW would be less $ and shorter commitment to allow both sides wiggle room with an uncertain future for racing?

CW also is the title sponsor for Nascar truck series as far as I know?

A 1% investment of assets seems very very minimal for that kind of exposure.
Hell, I’d never even heard of Mello Yello before NHRA!

4Waters

Reaction score
So what?
Cokes yearly NHRA title sponsor payment was $5.72 million annually over 6 years...in installments no less.
I would imagine a deal with CW would be less $ and shorter commitment to allow both sides wiggle room with an uncertain future for racing?

WTF? You've never seen Days of Thunder.

rrrr

Reaction score
Camping World is replacing Gander Outdoors as the title sponsor of the NASCAR truck series in 2021.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
So what?

I'm saying you are not comparing apples to apples in regards to the level of the company that is sponsoring you.

If Coca Cola did 1% of investments of assets that would be 800 million.

Its a huge hit to them no question. They lost a big share of income. Hence why they are suing.

Just made me LOL by the statment, NHRA lost Coca Cola as a sponsor but now has Camping World! 😂

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Camping World is replacing Gander Outdoors as the title sponsor of the NASCAR truck series in 2021.

Now that makes sense. I have heard of Camping World, who the hell is Gander Outdoors?

petie6464

Reaction score
Agreed, most likely they are using force majeure to get out. Like all rats they are jumping off the sinking ship. NHRA is dieing like most forms of motorsports.

It's a shame but society has changed dramatically, cursing and baffoonery has replaced intellectual behavior. Professional motorsports don't meet what society wants; Professionalism and class are out, morons slobs and uneducated dolt's are the new norm.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm saying you are not comparing apples to apples in regards to the level of the company that is sponsoring you.

If Coca Cola did 1% of investments of assets that would be 800 million.

Its a huge hit to them no question. They lost a big share of income. Hence why they are suing.

Just made me LOL by the statment, NHRA lost Coca Cola as a sponsor but now has Camping World! 😂

It doesn’t matter what they are worth.
Coke never was paying 1% of their assets.
An $80 billion dollar company that doesn’t pay their $5 million is no better than a $500 million company that does pay $5 million?
I’m not understanding why you think that their total assets have anything to do with the cost of the sponsorship?

rrrr

Reaction score
Now that makes sense. I have heard of Camping World, who the hell is Gander Outdoors?

Gander Mountain was a liberal hipster climbing, hiking, and outdoor equipment store across the Northwest that expanded into other states. They had a no limit returns policy. If you didn't like it, you could return it or get a new one.

Unsurprisingly, this led to a huge increase in costs as the company expanded. They went bankrupt, and reorganized as Gander Outdoors. I believe they also started selling RVs after exiting bankruptcy, but I'm too lazy to look.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Why does that make sense?
It’s the same $ amount to NASCAR that coke was spending in NHRA, and likely about the same that CW will spend if they make a deal with NHRA.

BTW...CW global revenue last year was $4.9 billion.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
On a side note.
Camping World must be legit.
I looked up their revenue and now I have 3 email ads for camping world on my phone.
So they’ve got that covered...

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score

renodaytona

Reaction score

One2go

Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I miss Winston Salem!
Hell yes! "Winston Finals" In 8ft letters across the top of the grandstands in Pomona.

I love the cackle of a nitro mill, but I also love watching door slammers. I miss the days of Bob Glidden and WJ matchups. Hell, I miss the days of TA/FC shifting Lencos.