WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coffee Maker’s….What You Got

Your ad here

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I went with Nespresso. Tried it at a friend's house and couldn't believe how good their coffee is!!!

Scored a killer deal at Costco just before x-mas...

The machine, the frother, 30 capsules, and a 35 dollar credit for their site, all for the price of the machine only! 😱

It works out to about a buck a cup, but it's WAY better than spending seven bucks a cup at Starbucks!

No was I could go back to any kind of other coffee now.

20221218_094901.jpg

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Breville Cafe Roma. One in the house and one at the lake house. Kirkland (Starbucks) espresso roast beans, usually ground on the second finest setting on the Costco grinders.
I can make a pretty mean cup of coffee or espresso shot with this machine. It's 100% manual so it took a lot of experimentation.

badgas

Reaction score
If i'm making a pot for 3 or more then It's a coffee maker with a #4 Cone filter.

For one person the Aeropress is hard to beat, I also use a Chemex for a good pour over.

Always fresh ground beans with a burr grinder and always blanch any paper filter to help lose the paper taste.

IMG-4540.jpg
IMG-4541.jpg
IMG-4542.jpg

Markus

Reaction score
Is there an ultimate coffee maker, you know a must have item. Getting ready to make a purchase. I looked at the pod machines but they seem to be expensive to operate. Any recommendations?😎

Again, Londinium is the answer.

The Skater of espresso machines.

Have you ordered one yet?

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I drink a couple of cups of coffer per day - Years ago I bought a Senseo pod brewer, and really like the taste. This was when there were a bunch of different pod brewer on the market before Keurig won out. Over the years, I couldn't find Senso pods in stores anymore so I was ordering them online, and then my machine finally broke.

I bought a Keurig and it was OK, but I didn't really think the coffee tasted very good. After a few years, I went to a French Press which made great coffee, but took too much time to prep and clean every day. I went and bought another Senso machine and used that for a few years. It makes pretty good tasting coffee, better than Keurig by far. I finally got tired of ordering the pods online, and went to a basic Cuisinart drip machine which is the current solution of choice.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
Again, Londinium is the answer.

The Skater of espresso machines.

Have you ordered one yet?

No still reading reviews. We typically like straight up black coffee, don’t care much about the flavored stuff.😎

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Just a regular old programmable Mr. Coffee machine over here. When camping, I use the french press.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No still reading reviews. We typically like straight up black coffee, don’t care much about the flavored stuff.😎

Every review I've read has had some "fake news" buried in it. Doesn't make much sense to me, but this is the most accurate review I've found.

What's wrong with This one???

You do NOT have to clean the used capsules IF you want to recycle them. Nestle supplies you with free postage paid recycling bags you just drop off at the UPS store.

It's not a shopping cart, so if you Don't return them, no one will know. 😉

20230205_164517.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I went with Nespresso. Tried it at a friend's house and couldn't believe how good their coffee is!!!

Scored a killer deal at Costco just before x-mas...

The machine, the frother, 30 capsules, and a 35 dollar credit for their site, all for the price of the machine only! 😱

It works out to about a buck a cup, but it's WAY better than spending seven bucks a cup at Starbucks!

No was I could go back to any kind of other coffee now.

View attachment 1196350
You can’t. We have pixi unit and it gets packed in a suite case when we travel. The trailer has its own. 🤦‍♂️

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've been looking to step up our coffee game. I was looking at Breville barrista models but this post has me looking at Jura's now. Currently we have one that has the whole bean grinder on the top and it makes a decent pot of coffee but want to also do shots and lattes too

Mines like 15 years old.
Almost ready to replace it.
94E20106-0C19-4DAB-9628-B7A332EDA309.jpeg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Nordskog for the win.

56eddff6d7bce49aeb5b814eb7162215 (1).jpg

Or whatever Betty Cracker aka river mobster recommends. :)

ltbaney1

Reaction score
How much coffee do you drink? Pods are okay for the lightweights, but I'd need a belt fed version. I'm cheap, so use an old Mr.Coffee with a timer for auto start before I get up, and another pot in the afternoon. My friend's wife is LE, she has one with a dedicated water line, and stays hot, almost a commercial Bunn.
same, i buy the cheapest one at wally world or target, as long as it has a timer to set it start and takes standard filters im happy. tried the pod deals and would burn through 4 pods just filling my thermos in the morning and took too long. needed a cup of coffee just use it. good ol MR Coffee starts at 5am and when i get down stairs in the morning, dump the whole pot into the thermos and hit the road.

satellitemike

Reaction score
OK, for those of us who dont drink and know shit about coffe, where do I get something that will grind the beans and brew a large cup of coffee?
My wife goes thru her 15 min ordeal every morning of measuring, grinding, and transferring the grinds to the refillable K cup thing and then brewing it. I wont even talk to her if I dont have to until shes had her coffee.
I looked up the Jura and not quite ready to dump a couple grand on one of those, maybe something on the $300 to $500 range.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
OK, for those of us who dont drink and know shit about coffe, where do I get something that will grind the beans and brew a large cup of coffee?
My wife goes thru her 15 min ordeal every morning of measuring, grinding, and transferring the grinds to the refillable K cup thing and then brewing it. I wont even talk to her if I dont have to until shes had her coffee.
I looked up the Jura and not quite ready to dump a couple grand on one of those, maybe something on the $300 to $500 range.
Saeco Royal or Gaggia if you don't like the price of the Saeco.

velasca_main_1_650x.jpg
saeco-royal-professional-espresso-machine_1024x1024@2x.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This is exactly what my wife does every morning.
Couldnt have said it better myself about the woke company.
When I go to Starbucks and purchase the Venti whatever, full of sugar and syrup, along with something to eat...its $15 bucks and a complete sugar headache.

Woke they are.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Black Rifle in a 7-8 year old Keurig. Pretty much all we use these days.

Anything made at home is a better choice than Starfucks.
Black rifle is more liberal than Starbucks.
They just lie about it.
And about 40% more expensive, and less flavor.
At least Starbucks is open about their wokeness.

The only thing worse than that combination would be black rifle in a bunn.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The NY Times interview sealed it for me.
I had already stopped paying the $18 a pound at Walmart for their swill based strictly on price and lack of flavor, But when I saw them cater to the libs and abandon their so called principles that was that.
Many will say, as Mat did, that the times misinterpreted his meanings, and that may be partially true.
But the result is always the same when one does not defend their ideals, and caters to a sales demographic.
Fuck them.
and for the record, I DID NOT bring politics into this thread.
Posts 76,77,and 78 cracked that seal.
I’m frankly surprised it took that long to slam Starbucks.
(Dollar for dollar still the best beans available)

BRC flipped a big finger to me, and when it backfired they pulled the same old Lib BS “it wasn’t my fault” backpedaling like a mother fucker.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Been using these cheap Mr. Coffee's for years.
That’s the same non timer $11 one I use at the drill rig. Lol
I bring my own coffee maker though, and I don’t let anyone run “factory” grinds through it. I can’t have Folgers or Maxwell house run through my machine…it ruins my good grind flavor.
But at home and off work I use my Breville for my morning one cup foo foo coffee routine. It’s one of my joys of being home and off the rig.

carrera202

Reaction score
Been using this one for a few years

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Here’s a 30 minute vid explaining how simple drip coffee makers are LOL

(He actually makes some pretty interesting vids, this one is no exception)

I had that exact model, but I got rid of it after just a couple of months because it didn't have an auto-shut-off. My aunt caught her kitchen on fire when I was a kid by leaving the coffee pot on and leaving for work. I just couldn't deal with wondering if it was left on or not. I ended up donating it to Hospice Thrift Store and getting the upgraded one ($24) with the timer that we never use, but it has the auto-off.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My wife's Jura... Cost more than the refrigerator it sits next to... LOL...

But I am the one with expensive hobbies. 😁
I would NEVER have bought my Breville.
Deb bought it while I was away at work…lol
(Same reason I own a Kirby vacuum, btw)
But I’m glad she did, it’s really good and I’m way too cheap to have ever bought it myself.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
View attachment 1196853
My mom made the very best coffee in one of theses. My sisters & I each have one but have never been able to make it taste the same.
I have a Keurig now. It’s ok.
Oh hell yes.
The absolute best coffee ever.
A Coleman camp percolator on an open fire, way the fuck up the Koyokuk river on an Alaska October morning fall moose hunt at 5 AM.
I’m a coffee snob, and even I know that!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 1196853
My mom made the very best coffee in one of theses. My sisters & I each have one but have never been able to make it taste the same.
I have a Keurig now. It’s ok.
When I was making the house liveable out here, I used Pops' old one like that. I had no appliances yet, and it would just be me on weekends. I'd sit it on top of the Jotul wood stove and get to work. Bunkhouse style, also cooked beans and stews on the stove, and learned how to make baked potatoes in that stove too!

C-2

Reaction score
I'm not a big coffee person. I drink it out of necessity, and now it's either become habit, or addiction? Same thing happened with beer...and that didn't turn out well :eek:

Anyways, at home, Keurig K cup of Starbucks Sumatra, and I throw in a shot or two of half/half.

At the office I have a small Chinese Keurig knock-off at my desk. Starbucks Sumatra, but I drink it black. Homey ain't got time to get all fancy at work.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm not a big coffee person. I drink it out of necessity, and now it's either become habit, or addiction? Same thing happened with beer...and that didn't turn out well :eek:

Anyways, at home, Keurig K cup of Starbucks Sumatra, and I throw in a shot or two of half/half.

At the office I have a small Chinese Keurig knock-off at my desk. Starbucks Sumatra, but I drink it black. Homey ain't got time to get all fancy at work.
Starbucks Sumatra is my #1 go to in any fashion.

Reactions: C-2

jet496

Reaction score
same, i buy the cheapest one at wally world or target, as long as it has a timer to set it start and takes standard filters im happy. tried the pod deals and would burn through 4 pods just filling my thermos in the morning and took too long. needed a cup of coffee just use it. good ol MR Coffee starts at 5am and when i get down stairs in the morning, dump the whole pot into the thermos and hit the road.
My nephew got us a Nespresso for Christmas so I took it to my shop since it's not my thing. They drink the shit out of them there. For me though, I just set my Mr Coffee to auto start at 5:00 am, fill up my green thermos & I'm good to go, same as my dad did when I was growing up. Nothing better!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My nephew got us a Nespresso for Christmas so I took it to my shop since it's not my thing. They drink the shit out of them there. For me though, I just set my Mr Coffee to auto start at 5:00 am, fill up my green thermos & I'm good to go, same as my dad did when I was growing up. Nothing better!

Like this?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have a Keurig at home and in the RV. I am done with it. I don't think the coffee is as strong as drip and percolated. I have been using my camping percolator more and more at home. View attachment 1196936
Keurig has simply expanded on the Bunn theory of faster is better.
Forcing water through coffee grinds as fast as possible may be convenient, but it is NOT the best way to make real coffee.
Hey, I use Kuerigs at the hotel rooms that have them, it’s better than no coffee at all and it is fast and convenient.
But I would never ever confuse any Keurig cup of coffee with a real cup of truly made coffee, even a slow drip Mr coffee is better coffee than a Keurig or Bunn.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Keurig has simply expanded on the Bunn theory of faster is better.
Forcing water through coffee grinds as fast as possible may be convenient, but it is NOT the best way to make real coffee.
Hey, I use Kuerigs at the hotel rooms that have them, it’s better than no coffee at all and it is fast and convenient.
But I would never ever confuse any Keurig cup of coffee with a real cup of truly made coffee, even a slow drip Mr coffee is better coffee than a Keurig or Bunn.
Agreed.

Oh, I never use the Keurig in the hotel room. I always think someone probably thought it would be funny to piss (or worse) in the resivour.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I like the fact that with a french press you're boiling the water and brewing the coffee at a high temp, Starbucks claims this it a big deal. That's why Percolators are great too. Keurig's have their place for convenience but the water just need to be hotter. Starbucks also claims that you should throw out the used grounds immediately to avoid bitterness.