Col. "Ed" Shames...Easy Company's Last Survivor, Has Past On

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

phuggit

Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The greatest generation has passed just in time for this America; heartbreaking
I think about that often. I feel it as being much the same as my parents already being called to rest. Many of these people I would not want to see what is coming. As much as I would like to learn from them, I also know they would be the weak and targeted individuals. Wherever their souls may be, they are safe from harm. We as survivors should seek strength and inspiration in their memory.

rrrr

Reaction score
Easy Company had a counterpart in the 82nd Airborne. It was H Company, 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment. The company was led by Lieutenant James Megellas, known as "Maggie."

Megellas led his company across Europe, and was a great leader. He was involved in one of the most daring assaults of the war, when elements of the 82nd rowed wood and canvas boats across the 400' wide Waal River, in Nijmegan, Holland, to capture a bridge while under murderous German fire.

James Megellas (March 11, 1917 – April 2, 2020) was a United States Army lieutenant colonel. During World War II, he was a rifle company platoon leader and is considered to be one of the most decorated combat officers in the history of the 82nd Airborne Division. He received the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism and three other decorations for valor.

I was introduced to Maggie in 2009. He traveled across America in his later years, telling the story of the 504th and its involvement in the war against Germany. He was still going strong in his 90s, and passed away in 2020 at the age of 103.

This is the story of the 504th PIR, told by Maggie in 2011 as he revisited Nijmegan in 2011. They fought in Italy at Anzio, in Operation Shingle, the invasion of Southern France after D-Day, in Holland during operation Market-Garden, and in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. It's a long video, but if you're interested in WWII and the men that fought in it, it's worth watching.

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
The tragedy, the heroism, the commradery, ans walking among badass legends. Godspeed sir