WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cold War Submarine Bunkers

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Never knew they existed. Went on a boat tour in Kotor Montenegro.
20230526_132533.jpg
20230526_132603.jpg
20230526_132644.jpg
20230526_132727.jpg

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
They used that (or one just like that) in one of the Pierce Brosnan James Bond movies - The one where Denise Richards was a nuclear physicist.

Clank123

Reaction score
Pretty good movie about a Japanese Sub full of Gold hidden under an island in Washington.
It’s called “Dangerous “ with Mel Gibson and Scott Eastwood.
Kinda cool how much Scott sounds like his Dad. They outta do a prequel or Sequel to Dirty Harry with him in it.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's a cool post.

During WWII, the Germans built massive submarine pen structures on the Atlantic coast at St Nazaire, France. It required about 18 months to build them.

I have always wondered why the British didn't instruct Bomber Command to destroy the effort at all costs while under construction. They pretty much ignored them until a huge U-boat base had been placed in operation. By then, the 30' thick concrete roofs of the pens had been completed, and deadly anti-aircraft defenses had been put in place. Repeated air attacks by RAF and USAAF bombers resulted in some chipped concrete and many aircrew deaths.

The submarines based there sank millions of tons of Allied shipping without interruption between 1941 and 1943. It wasn't until May 1943 that the breaking of the German's Enigma code and British and American antisubmarine defenses matured to the point that U-boats transiting the Bay of Biscay to St Nazaire were increasingly destroyed. By mid 1944, the German Navy withdrew most of its U-boats from the Atlantic, admitting they could not withstand the losses.

This link provides more information and some good photos.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That is cool!!!! Thanks for posting

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That's a cool post.

During WWII, the Germans built massive submarine pen structures on the Atlantic coast at St Nazaire, France. It required about 18 months to build them.

I have always wondered why the British didn't instruct Bomber Command to destroy the effort at all costs while under construction. They pretty much ignored them until a huge U-boat base had been placed in operation. By then, the 30' thick concrete roofs of the pens had been completed, and deadly anti-aircraft defenses had been put in place. Repeated air attacks by RAF and USAAF bombers resulted in some chipped concrete and many aircrew deaths.

The submarines based there sank millions of tons of Allied shipping without interruption between 1941 and 1943. It wasn't until May 1943 that the breaking of the German's Enigma code and British and American antisubmarine defenses matured to the point that U-boats transiting the Bay of Biscay to St Nazaire were increasingly destroyed. By mid 1944, the German Navy withdrew most of its U-boats from the Atlantic, admitting they could not withstand the losses.

This link provides more information and some good photos.

Also featured prominently in the greatest submarine movie of all time, Das Boot.

England was still recovering from the Battle of Britain and dealing with The Blitz. Not enough men and material to go on the offensive, even if it was just across the English Channel.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
The wind came up in the harbor and our ship Norwegian Gem came close to the shore. They had to kick on the thrusters. I started the video a bit late because couldn't find the phone.

rrrr

Reaction score
Also featured prominently in the greatest submarine movie of all time, Das Boot.

England was still recovering from the Battle of Britain and dealing with The Blitz. Not enough men and material to go on the offensive, even if it was just across the English Channel.
Yeah, the Hamptons, Whitleys, and Blenhiems were pretty weak aircraft. Bomber Command was also struggling with the terrible losses from night operations and rather unorganized until late 1942.

The RAF's bomber boys were brave and dedicated. According to the Imperial War Museum, the force lost 51% of aircrews by the end of the war. Training and non-operational losses were also significant.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
They used that (or one just like that) in one of the Pierce Brosnan James Bond movies - The one where Denise Richards was a nuclear physicist.

"The World is not Enough"
happens to be my favorite of the Bond movies.

I wanna say theres a couple of these sub bunkers either in the south carribean or down in south america as well🤔. If I recall l, one was featured on "Mysteries of the Abandoned"

Deckin Around

Reaction score
i’ve read info about secret projects where the US was boring giant tunnels for subs hundreds of feet below ground for hundreds of miles inland to strategic US bases

Last edited: