WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cole 250s winter upgrades and repairs

Riverhound

Reaction score
It's time for the old Cole to get a little needed winter time love an I'm getting the list together of repairs and upgrades.

Gelcoat - the keel and few other small spots are in need of some repair.
Floor - have a couple of soft spots in the floor around the ski locker and looking to replace the floor.
Rub Rail - currently have the old school anodized aluminum with rubber insert and wanting to upgrade to a powder or anodized stainless.
I presume the same company can handle all three of the above items.

Steering - want to upgrade to hydraulic steering and looking for some feedback on whether to go full to the helm or just the assist rams? Don't have big power (yet) but really like the feel and control of hydro steering.

I've always got good feedback from the group here and would appreciate any shop recommendations in the Havasu area. For that matter, feel free to PM me any shops to stay away from as well.

7C3BAF12-D220-41A6-A939-2C1505FF0C72_1_105_c.jpeg

Husqy510

Reaction score
We recently rigged a 26' Howard cat and we initially installed dual ram hydraulic assist, but had a failure of the cable which could have been catastrophic. We then upgraded to hydraulic to the helm, which is not only much safer, but also feels great.

We went through IMCO and they were great to work with.

Riverhound

Reaction score
We recently rigged a 26' Howard cat and we initially installed dual ram hydraulic assist, but had a failure of the cable which could have been catastrophic. We then upgraded to hydraulic to the helm, which is not only much safer, but also feels great.

We went through IMCO and they were great to work with.
Thanks Husky! appreciate the feedback

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Not sure what you’re looking to spend but you’re gonna be into that project a pretty penny with the items you want to tackle. Like husky said hydraulic steering is like butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverhound

Reaction score
Not sure what you’re looking to spend but you’re gonna be into that project a pretty penny with the items you want to tackle. Like husky said hydraulic steering is like butter

The steering is most likely going to be the biggest hit for sure but given the cost of new boats it's worth the investment.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
What is a ballpark figure for the hydraulic steering.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
What is a ballpark figure for the hydraulic steering.

Parts can range from $4000-5500 depending on helm and what manufacturer you choose. I’m not sure what a shop charges for installing but it took me a weekend to do a clean install. I would guess another $2500 for labor.

Riverhound

Reaction score
Parts can range from $4000-5500 depending on helm and what manufacturer you choose. I’m not sure what a shop charges for installing but it took me a weekend to do a clean install. I would guess another $2500 for labor.

That’s the range I’ve been quoted on parts. Haven’t talked to any shops about installation yet. How difficult was it to install? My biggest concern would be ram placement and drilling holes in the transom of my boat 😱😂

Magic Mike

Reaction score
those colors are so nice
That’s what I was thinking and I usually avoid purple. I had some work done on my Magic at Cole in the late 90’s and they treated me really well, always loved their boats.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
It's time for the old Cole to get a little needed winter time love an I'm getting the list together of repairs and upgrades.

Gelcoat - the keel and few other small spots are in need of some repair.
Floor - have a couple of soft spots in the floor around the ski locker and looking to replace the floor.
Rub Rail - currently have the old school anodized aluminum with rubber insert and wanting to upgrade to a powder or anodized stainless.
I presume the same company can handle all three of the above items.

Steering - want to upgrade to hydraulic steering and looking for some feedback on whether to go full to the helm or just the assist rams? Don't have big power (yet) but really like the feel and control of hydro steering.

I've always got good feedback from the group here and would appreciate any shop recommendations in the Havasu area. For that matter, feel free to PM me any shops to stay away from as well.

View attachment 938922

Full to the helm. Best upgrade I have made to my boat. Mine is all IMCO

Riverhound

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking and I usually avoid purple. I had some work done on my Magic at Cole in the late 90’s and they treated me really well, always loved their boats.
Jim built a great boat. His rigging, gel designs and colors where ahead of their time and top notch. This is our 2nd Cole and they were both TANKS! Heavy layups for sure.