WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

cole 280s mold for sale......

retaocleg

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
Test drove the 1st 250S, but never rode in a 280S, was it a step bottom as Hotboat stated ?
The step or steps aren't obvious.

I also noticed the 23 Cougar MTR mold sold in April, who picked that up and who's laying them up ?

retaocleg

Reaction score
was it a step bottom as Hotboat stated ?
The step or steps aren't obvious.
dont think so..........atleast not to the chines
5A2F6C54-EFE3-4C7C-9CDB-CCB3294618D3.jpeg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
$4000........

same guy with 20' silhouette $4000

The Canyon Silhouette...
I leaned against those molds a few times.
I shot the boat in that Hot Boat write up.👍

Taboma

Reaction score
anyone remember the conquests(post sleekcraft, pre magic) that were built and cole finished them under the cole name?
No, but I recall Jim having a large Magic Vee in there with the starboard side of the bow blown out. Jim claimed it was offshore when it landed wrong and smacked a wave. By keeping it on partial plane they made it back to the ramp. Jim seemed to be using it to display Magic's poor workmanship, would Jim do that ???? --- or maybe to splash the bottom ?? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣
Meeting with Jim in 95' and again in 98' during my two builds, was always entertaining. 😂

retaocleg

Reaction score
The Canyon Silhouette...
I leaned against those molds a few times.
I shot the boat in that Hot Boat write up.👍
they had a 28 too, no? i sold a boat to the guy that tooled them, while he worked for uncle louie in phx

retaocleg

Reaction score
No, but I recall Jim having a large Magic Vee in there with the starboard side of the bow blown out. Jim claimed it was offshore when it landed wrong and smacked a wave. By keeping it on partial plane they made it back to the ramp. Jim seemed to be using it to display Magic's poor workmanship, would Jim do that ???? --- or maybe to splash the bottom ?? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣
Meeting with Jim in 95' and again in 98' during my two builds, was always entertaining. 😂
i was a laminator for bruce when we were building for cole.........didnt have tanks for a 28, but had a 28 insurance total at the shop......🤔

Last edited:

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Seems cheap unless the mold is fucked up. I watched them make that mold. The bottom had this kind of wedge thing on the bottom where the step is. The theory was to help the boat to get in plane faster. Cole got nervous about it and had it removed and ended up with what it is. Great boat.

Backlash

Reaction score
Who knows what condition those molds are in, especially if they haven't been maintained. I could see an up-and-coming builder picking that Cole mold up though; that's a perfect size hull in my opinion. Big enough to be safe and small enough to tow. Not sure about the Silhouette, that sucker seems like a Lower River only boat.

Taboma

Reaction score
i was a laminator for bruce when we were building for cole.........didnt have tanks for a 28, but had a 28 insurance total at the shop......guess what tanks went into the new build?
Ohhhh, parted it out did he 🤣

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Believe it or not he was gonna mold off that 34 magic. Got a phone call one day and whoever was on the phone told him no splashing that mold. Died right there on the spot.

retaocleg

Reaction score
Believe it or not he was gonna mold off that 34 magic. Got a phone call one day and whoever was on the phone told him no splashing that mold. Died right there on the spot.
i love the 34 aronow........timeless
at the time, if memory is correct, offshore marine in MO bought it with a deal with ken brown for magic to build for them...were first called offshore marine 34....

karl koster got involved too in buying them on a exclusive deal......

time went by and the amount of boats actually being built got fuzzy........boat building drama, truth not always at the forefront

when it first started, ken told us if we got 6 boats done by catalina, he'd put us all up in a hotel for the race.......we got 7, race came, and he just went without explanation, nothing........never even acknowledged, people were pretty miffed
ken brown signature series, lol

we were building so fast, they were putting graphics on after the fact at mike loves paint......and one time they were towing one on a dolly to the paint shop👀, dumped it on the highway crossing by circle k.........lol

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If someone were to mod the deck boat for OB's, it would be slick. Push the bench back, and make a short bustle...I think it would be pretty cool. Don't know how well the hull worked though, that would be pretty important.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
i love the 34 aronow........timeless
at the time, if memory is correct, offshore marine in MO bought it with a deal with ken brown for magic to build for them...were first called offshore marine 34....

karl koster got involved too in buying them on a exclusive deal......

time went by and the amount of boats actually being built got fuzzy........boat building drama, truth not always at the forefront

when it first started, ken told us if we got 6 boats done by catalina, he'd put us all up in a hotel for the race.......we got 7, race came, and he just went without explanation, nothing........never even acknowledged, people were pretty miffed
ken brown signature series, lol

we were building so fast, they were putting graphics on after the fact at mike loves paint......and one time they were towing one on a dolly to the paint shop👀, dumped it on the highway crossing by circle k.........lol
Yeah I've always liked that mold. The older ones more where there's a dash on both sides. Don't like the later models with wide open to inside on passenger side.

retaocleg

Reaction score
the 34 had these inserts at the top of the dash that would raise on actuators to blow the wind over your head, pretty cool deal.......

Backlash

Reaction score
Speaking of Aronow, where did the mold for the 45' Alpha end up? Anybody know?!! I'm sure someone on a different offshore site would know....but I only shop here. 😉

guest hs

Reaction score
That 28 Cole mold was at Tahiti for a while and was listed on their website that it’s was one of their models to build

guest hs

Reaction score
I do recall some older larger Coles out of the sleek/Conquest molds. I have seen several of them on Mead and Havasu.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
If someone were to mod the deck boat for OB's, it would be slick. Push the bench back, and make a short bustle...I think it would be pretty cool. Don't know how well the hull worked though, that would be pretty important.
If I remember correctly they built one outboard.
I want to say Suzuki, but it was a long time ago.

retaocleg

Reaction score
Speaking of Aronow, where did the mold for the 45' Alpha end up? Anybody know?!! I'm sure someone on a different offshore site would know....but I only shop here. 😉
from 2011.....it is the aronow 45, frisni did like magic and added swimstep to the total

retaocleg

Reaction score
Could have been Dave Holland too, he was a master of that floating pinstripe stuff.
i was a laminator there, it was larry.......right when bruce got pretty deep into him, and mitchell came in

guess it is poss it was mitchel, but i dont think so.......mitchel came in half way through the last one, which had gold if i remember, larry did the hull then bailed, mitchell did the deck........no more larry at conquest

disclaimer=30 years ago, lol

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
from 2011.....it is the aronow 45, frisni did like magic and added swimstep to the total
That picture in the article is actually the hull I was referring to. The article references the 47' Aronow which is a different hull than the one pictured. The 47' has a look more like a Magnum, with a much wider beam than the Alpha 45. I'll do some digging when the sun goes down later on tonight. Not like I could even afford to buy one....I just loved the way that boat looked! Thank you for the lead!