WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cole Boats, Nighthawk vs Superhawk??

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I know this has been hashed before, but I have never found out the final answer.

Is it the same boat? Same bottom? When I bought my boat, it was advertised as a Nighthawk, but I can't tell the difference between it and the pictures of the Superhawk.

Anyone know the real deal?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If memory serves they are the same boat, but I think one has an integrated swim step?

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think its just the deck that's different. I think the night hawk has rounder edges compared to the super hawk.

cole_skier

Reaction score
I would be interested to find out also. I have been told that the bottom on my Skier is the same as the Hawks. Hope someone can school me on this.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Anybody know what ever happened to Jim Cole ? I once considered
buying one of his boats back in the nineties

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I think its just the deck that's different. I think the night hawk has rounder edges compared to the super hawk.
I need to get mine side x side with a Superhawk. How do I know what I really have? I can't tell the difference.
image.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
20.5' is the SS, the 22' nighthawk and superhawk use the same bottom but the deck at the transom is different . Different bottoms on the 20.5, 22's, and the 21' skier .

tkrrox

Reaction score
I heard yes when I asked that question when I first bought mine

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Call Mario at socal speed and marine he used to rig for cole boats.

Taboma

Reaction score
Good morning, sorry I missed this thread yesterday, since I used to own a 95' Cole Superhawk and currently own a 98' Cole 220 I had Jim build (Nighthawk mold, Jim changed to 220 to coincide with release of new 250S). Same bottom, same non-integrated swim steps, the 250S came out with the integrated step. In 98' I could have had either built, I preferred the softer edges on the corners of the raised portion of the deck, also the edges of the deck at the transom slope off and the area between these outside edges is recessed (indented) on the NH, and not on the SH.
Also Jim mentioned the Nighthawk molds were newer, but I don't recall if that was just the deck mold or if he'd made a new bottom mold as well.
Here's a few pics that I've marked up that might help.

OutCole'd, it's hard for me to tell which you've got by your pic, I think I'm seeing a sharper corner on the edge of your raised deck, I can't see anything of the transom, also don't know what year yours is. If you can post another side view pic or one showing more transom it might help.

Here's your pic I marked up:

Cole open bow SH or NH diff.jpg

Here's a pic of my 95' Superhawk, sorry it's a bit grainy as it's a scanned 35MM, and the only remaining pic of that boat since I lost all my film pics in the 07 wildfire.

95 cole SH - NH differences copy.jpg

Here's a marked up pic of my 98' Nighthawk, transom is shadowed so you can't see the recessed area, plus the bimini is hiding it. That recess changes where the stern engine vents are as well.

Cole NH-SH differences copy.jpg

River Dave ----- Why can I post pics in my replies here directly from my computer (Uploading), but in responding to a PM it won't give me that option and I can only post those from a URL ?

Hope this helps clear up some confusion :thumbup::D

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Good morning, sorry I missed this thread yesterday, since I used to own a 95' Cole Superhawk and currently own a 98' Cole 220 I had Jim build (Nighthawk mold, Jim changed to 220 to coincide with release of new 250S). Same bottom, same non-integrated swim steps, the 250S came out with the integrated step. In 98' I could have had either built, I preferred the softer edges on the corners of the raised portion of the deck, also the edges of the deck at the transom slope off and the area between these outside edges is recessed (indented) on the NH, and not on the SH.
Also Jim mentioned the Nighthawk molds were newer, but I don't recall if that was just the deck mold or if he'd made a new bottom mold as well.

OutCole'd, it's hard for me to tell which you've got by your pic, I think I'm seeing a sharper corner on the edge of your raised deck, I can't see anything of the transom, also don't know what year yours is. If you can post another side view pic or one showing more transom it might help.

Here's your pic I marked up:

View attachment 367571

Here's a pic of my 95' Superhawk, sorry it's a bit grainy as it's a scanned 35MM, and the only remaining pic of that boat since I lost all my film pics in the 07 wildfire.

View attachment 367572

Here's a marked up pic of my 98' Nighthawk, transom is shadowed so you can't see the recessed area, plus the bimini is hiding it. That recess changes where the stern engine vents are as well.

View attachment 367573

River Dave ----- Why can I post pics in my replies here directly from my computer (Uploading), but in responding to a PM it won't give me that option and I can only post those from a URL ?

Hope this helps clear up some confusion :thumbup::D
Huge help!! Thank you!:thumbup:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Awesome post.

Love the Nighthawks lines, and the super hawk/ nighthawk line in general.

Big, comfortable, competent.

Li'L Durrell's (My buddy Darrell Anderson) Cole with a boostpower 502 pulls like a competition ski boat and can yank a skier out of the water with 8 people on board.

Did Danny Mancini do the gel on these for a while?

UD

Attachments

• Big D Sue.jpg
    Big D Sue.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 154

Backlash

Reaction score
If I were to ever win the lotto, one of my many purchases would be a closed-bow Cole Nighthawk set up as a v-drive. I've always loved Cole's boats! :thumbup:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Here is a pic of my 95' Superhawk, sorry it's a bit grainy as it's a scanned 35MM, and the only remaining pic of that boat since I lost all my film pics in the 07 wildfire.

View attachment 367572

Did he use the mini cruiser deck on the superhawk?? Looks like different bottom though with more free board but decks look the same. Man, I love Cole's......most beautiful boats on the water. Wish I had the scratch to buy the one for sale on here.

Here are some pics of our 1982 Mini Cruiser

20140623_111542.jpg
20140622_164011.jpg
1982_Cole_Mini_Cruiser.jpg

oldschool

Reaction score
I thought someone bought some of the Cole molds, in Havasu?

Taboma

Reaction score
The forward raised area of the mini-cruiser deck sure looks like the Superhawk, the transom area appears different.

I thought the latest word on the molds was that Carrera had them, at least the 22 Hawks, not sure if that included the 250S, which is an awesome boat, especially for Havasu.

I drove the first 250S up at Castaic prior to finalizing the order on my 98' 220 (NH), was really impressed. I stayed with the Hawk because being younger at the time, wanted the more
Hot Rod sizzling acceleration and sporty feel of the 22'.

When I had mine built I went back and forth between the I/O and V-Drive. V-Drive was several more $$$$ (don't recall exactly how many more), but with its intent at the time to be used in a more family atmosphere, plus dock handling and in general easier to drive, I compromised for the I/O version. It's one of those compromises I've re-thought often since 98', occasionally applauding my decision and other times questioning my decision. Regardless, there was that reality of the cost difference.

In the mid-70's I owned a fairly potent Hondo Flatty, now that I'm much older and seeking a retirement project I really want another V-drive flat, but I think my aging back might appreciate more of a GN style hull.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, go figure :rolleyes

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The forward raised area of the mini-cruiser deck sure looks like the Superhawk, the transom area appears different.

I thought the latest word on the molds was that Carrera had them, at least the 22 Hawks, not sure if that included the 250S, which is an awesome boat, especially for Havasu.

Yeah, it definitely looks similar and the bottom of the mini-cruiser looks like the skier. I think you are right about the 22 Hawks, I saw a thread on another forum about those molds and I am pretty sure that was the case. I think RD has the lead on the 250 and 280S then. Both of those boats are stunning. One of the best thing any boat manufacturer can do, at those bigger lengths, is the integrated (molded) swim step.

Your Cole is beautiful, would like to see some more pics of it some day.

SCBLLC

Reaction score
20.5' is the SS, the 22' nighthawk and superhawk use the same bottom but the deck at the transom is different . Different bottoms on the 20.5, 22's, and the 21' skier .

Yup, spot on.

boater250s

Reaction score
Just love the Coles...some photos I have on my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 168

Taboma

Reaction score
boater 250S, thanks for the pics :thumbup:

I know the 25' stated length of the 250S includes the integrated step, do you know the actual bottom length ? 23.5' perhaps ?

Is the boat in the pic on the triple in front of the Havasu house with the non-integrated swim step a 280 ?

boater250s

Reaction score
boater 250S, thanks for the pics :thumbup:

I know the 25' stated length of the 250S includes the integrated step, do you know the actual bottom length ? 23.5' perhaps ?

Is the boat in the pic on the triple in front of the Havasu house with the non-integrated swim step a 280 ?

Yes, the boat in Havasu is a 28 footer. Not sure of the length of the bottom of the 25 footer Got this info from Jim Cole in 1999, when I bought my 25ft Cole from him. I love the 25ft, but I also love the Superhawk. The Superhawk moves pretty good for a small block. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 108

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
It's funny. The boat I bought was advertised as a Nighthawk, but thanks to this thread I learned I have a Superhawk ( not that it really matters to me).

image.jpg

dribble

Reaction score
What I've learned from this thread is what I already knew. That is that the Cole 250S in my opinion is the coolest looking V bottom ever built. That boat will never be dated.

Taboma

Reaction score
It's funny. The boat I bought was advertised as a Nighthawk, but thanks to this thread I learned I have a Superhawk ( not that it really matters to me).

View attachment 368271

For sure a Superhawk and it shouldn't really matter. It's also a 92' and the Nighthawks weren't officially produced until 97' --- of course where Jim is concerned I'd be hesitant to put money on it :rolleyes

Enjoy :thumbup::thumbup:

Shady

Reaction score
This thread has got me really liking these Coles.
I know it's a jet but, if it's clean, it seems like a pretty good deal.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4693192589.html

Cole 22 Superhawk 454 jet $9799 in Corona. Not mine (I wish) just fyi.

Planning to look at this boat this weekend. Anyone know the ride quality of the Superhawk V 22.4 Skier, have a friend with a 22.4 and the wife loves how comfortable it is in comparison to other boats she has been in.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Planning to look at this boat this weekend. Anyone know the ride quality of the Superhawk V 22.4 Skier, have a friend with a 22.4 and the wife loves how comfortable it is in comparison to other boats she has been in.

I've had both, and in the short time I've had the Superhawk, it sure seems to me like it handles the chop much better. I remember my Skier beating me up pretty bad (10 years ago).

And that sure seems like a killer deal!!

Shady

Reaction score
I've had both, and in the short time I've had the Superhawk, it sure seems to me like it handles the chop much better. I remember my Skier beating me up pretty bad (10 years ago).

And that sure seems like a killer deal!!

Funny, your old skier is the one I am comparing to. My buddy bought it from you. Thanks for the feedback, if it is even close, it would be a great riding boat.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Funny, your old skier is the one I am comparing to. My buddy bought it from you. Thanks for the feedback, if it is even close, it would be a great riding boat.

Cool, post up a pick of the old Skier if you can. I can't find any pictures of that boat.

Good luck!!:thumbup:

Lakenlife

Reaction score
This is an awesome boat! Best I've owned and I've owned quite a few!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 138

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I guess my buddy did not buy yours...... My bad!

Bummer, I'd like to see it again. If my old boat was as nice as the one your buddy bought, I never would have sold it. That thing is CLEAN!:thumbup:

Ol Man

Reaction score
1315.jpg

Shady is my son and here is Lakenlife's Cole and our Hallet Vector at Powell this year. Would be fun to add that Cole to the picture next year. We shall see.

tkrrox

Reaction score
When you guys going to Powell. We will be there middle of July this year