- Apr 27, 2018
- Reaction score
Is anyone interested in contributing to a discussion about Cole HYDRO Model(s), years of production, etc. I purchased a 1978 Cole CH1 hydro several years ago and have been searching the internet relentlessly since trying to gain knowledge about these boats. I think I have read every dead end discussion about Jim Cole, Cole Boats, TR1, TR2, TR3, TR? I have documented my boat and the work I've done on my hobby website www.dragboatfever.com I hope the slideshow format and captions on the pictures will help someone along the way.
I don't know the first year of Cole Hydro production but suspect it was roughly 1978. My boat has an aluminum ID plate identifying it as model CH-1 and I have not heard of earlier model years. Here are a collection of my thoughts on the subject:
- My boat looks very similar to a Deaver Hydro and there is much discussion about Cole copying the Deaver. It seems everyone was copying someone back in the day.
- The rear deck on my boat ramps up abruptly at the transom. (like 1980-82 Corvette bumper)
- I've seen several different rear deck configurations but can't be sure they are original.
- I know Cole made a later model. One with a windshield
- I've heard mention of a tall deck which may be the one with the windshield.
I sure hope this thread develops into the ultimate source of facts about these boats.
Inquiring minds need to know and the sum of what has been documented is quite limited.
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts ..........