WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coming back home

Warlock1

Reaction score
Sonya and I left Phoenix for what we thought would be out dream spot. We have always loved the island feel and have taken quite a few island vacations. We have learned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and have decided to move back home from Florida.

We hope to have everything done so we can move back by the first of the year. We know we love the West Side as we have lived in Surprise and Waddell and love the feel of the more rural area. However we know the job market is stronger on the East side so we are going to be renting a pad for a year over there and see how we like it. Sonya is covered as she is an Infrastructure Engineer so it will be me that has to actually find some work.

After a year we will decide to either stay over there or move the the West side again or if something in Havasu shows up there is that possibility. Ultimately wherever we decide to go we will probably build a house so we can get the garage that we really need...

So looking forward to hanging out with old friends and making some new ones and enjoying the place that we loved for so many years.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Wish you guys were coming to Havasu!
Not completely out of the question yet, however since there is limited earning opportunities available there mainly because that is a retirement town I'm just not sure if I will be able to hit my earnings goal.

Warlock1

Reaction score
What killed florida for you? Its always been on my list.

Remember I am in Cape Coral so this is a retirement area of sorts so some of my concerns are based on that.

ANYTHING service related sucks. Trying to get you car fixed especially during in season will take a 3 week appt wait time. And don't expect them to fix it right. If they can't diagnose and fix it right within the hour they will simply say no problem found. The mechanics are so busy here they don't need repeat customers. And this same philosophy applies to everything. We have been through 3 yard guys because they simply stop showing up or they do great for the first 2 or 3 months and then it goes down hill. You would think paying 100 dollars a month to cut our small yard wouldn't be difficult but apparently it is. Same thing with pool guys.

Trying to get estimates for say a pool cage rescreening, remodeling job, painting, actual landscape work, HVAC, plumbing you name it, they just don't show up. And when they do they usually want half down before they even start and the rest upon completion. Then they start the job and just disappear with your money. It happens all the time down here.

Mold everywhere. It grows on your house, your concrete, everywhere. It's a constant battle. So either you are pressure washing every 3 months or your paying someone else to do it. Oh but wait that is if they show up and do a good job (see the above statements).

Food lasts days and not weeks. We have all new appliances so it isn't that we have a faulty refrigerator, but salads last a week at best before they are so gross you just can't eat it. Fruits and vegetables rot way quicker than in AZ. Same with bread and cheeses.

We can't park a nice boat besides our house, but a neighbor just down the street can have 5 cars in his front yard and the city determines that to be OK.

We knew we would have to deal with the hurricanes when we moved down here we just weren't expecting how people turn into such idiots when one is coming. If you ever see the meme of the guy filling open plastic buckets with gas behind his SUV, that was down here. People stealing storm protection from houses and selling them and using them on their houses. Getting paid to install shutters and remove them for the elderly only to never come back to remove them as they were paid to do so. Many more instances of this. It just seems there are an abundance of dirt bag unethical people down here.

Infrastructure down here is also horrible. We live in a well developed neighborhood, yet there are no curbs or gutters so just trying to take a walk with the dogs is dangerous. Plus it just looks so unfinished and third world countryish. Satellite TV/internet is a joke. My wife works from home and her internet drops multiple times a day and we pay to have the fastest since she is an Engineer and requires it. Multiple calls to get it resolved only to find out they have been charging us for it for 6 months and the equipment they provided does not support the fastest speeds. They did replace it and it's still no better. They also send a salesperson out every time a tech comes out. We come to find out it is so they can charge an additional fee for them being here and they literally do nothing. Found out they do it because it's easy money since the retirees usually ask no questions about the bills and just pay it.

Traffic is out of control. Either people are going 10 under whether it's surface streets or the highway because well they are old or 20 over. Lots of car accidents and this place is rated one of the most dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists. Once you add inseason occupants and it becomes unbearable if you have to get somewhere during rush hour traffic.

School systems down here are ran on a choice basis meaning you choose where you want your kids want to go to school. Sounds good at first until you realize the how fucked up that system is. Instead of having a school and the kids that live within a certain radius goes to that school and the busing is based on that, you now have buses and LOADS of parents driving their kids to schools 15 miles away just because one has a better sports team. More buses on the road driving longer distances and for longer times clogging up the roads and forcing kids to get up earlier due to the travel time. It's a mess.

There is more but you get the jist. I am a very happy go lucky person as a lot of the guys on this forum can attest to, but this place has made me bitter and I hate that. I can't wait to get out of here and relax on the lake again and get back in the desert. I so need some high speed desert running again...lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Remember I am in Cape Coral so this is a retirement area of sorts so some of my concerns are based on that.

ANYTHING service related sucks. Trying to get you car fixed especially during in season will take a 3 week appt wait time. And don't expect them to fix it right. If they can't diagnose and fix it right within the hour they will simply say no problem found. The mechanics are so busy here they don't need repeat customers. And this same philosophy applies to everything. We have been through 3 yard guys because they simply stop showing up or they do great for the first 2 or 3 months and then it goes down hill. You would think paying 100 dollars a month to cut our small yard wouldn't be difficult but apparently it is. Same thing with pool guys.

Trying to get estimates for say a pool cage rescreening, remodeling job, painting, actual landscape work, HVAC, plumbing you name it, they just don't show up. And when they do they usually want half down before they even start and the rest upon completion. Then they start the job and just disappear with your money. It happens all the time down here.

Mold everywhere. It grows on your house, your concrete, everywhere. It's a constant battle. So either you are pressure washing every 3 months or your paying someone else to do it. Oh but wait that is if they show up and do a good job (see the above statements).

Food lasts days and not weeks. We have all new appliances so it isn't that we have a faulty refrigerator, but salads last a week at best before they are so gross you just can't eat it. Fruits and vegetables rot way quicker than in AZ. Same with bread and cheeses.

We can't park a nice boat besides our house, but a neighbor just down the street can have 5 cars in his front yard and the city determines that to be OK.

We knew we would have to deal with the hurricanes when we moved down here we just weren't expecting how people turn into such idiots when one is coming. If you ever see the meme of the guy filling open plastic buckets with gas behind his SUV, that was down here. People stealing storm protection from houses and selling them and using them on their houses. Getting paid to install shutters and remove them for the elderly only to never come back to remove them as they were paid to do so. Many more instances of this. It just seems there are an abundance of dirt bag unethical people down here.

Infrastructure down here is also horrible. We live in a well developed neighborhood, yet there are no curbs or gutters so just trying to take a walk with the dogs is dangerous. Plus it just looks so unfinished and third world countryish. Satellite TV/internet is a joke. My wife works from home and her internet drops multiple times a day and we pay to have the fastest since she is an Engineer and requires it. Multiple calls to get it resolved only to find out they have been charging us for it for 6 months and the equipment they provided does not support the fastest speeds. They did replace it and it's still no better. They also send a salesperson out every time a tech comes out. We come to find out it is so they can charge an additional fee for them being here and they literally do nothing. Found out they do it because it's easy money since the retirees usually ask no questions about the bills and just pay it.

Traffic is out of control. Either people are going 10 under whether it's surface streets or the highway because well they are old or 20 over. Lots of car accidents and this place is rated one of the most dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists. Once you add inseason occupants and it becomes unbearable if you have to get somewhere during rush hour traffic.

School systems down here are ran on a choice basis meaning you choose where you want your kids want to go to school. Sounds good at first until you realize the how fucked up that system is. Instead of having a school and the kids that live within a certain radius goes to that school and the busing is based on that, you now have buses and LOADS of parents driving their kids to schools 15 miles away just because one has a better sports team. More buses on the road driving longer distances and for longer times clogging up the roads and forcing kids to get up earlier due to the travel time. It's a mess.

There is more but you get the jist. I am a very happy go lucky person as a lot of the guys on this forum can attest to, but this place has made me bitter and I hate that. I can't wait to get out of here and relax on the lake again and get back in the desert. I so need some high speed desert running again...lol
Don't forget the gators in the water!!!!

Your ad here

Reaction score
I live in Surprise and commute to Tempe. In July it was a 1 hour drive in the morning and 1.5 hour home. Now its approaching 2 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours home. I'm looking for another job and everything with good pay is East of I17. No traffic I can make it from Chandler to Surprise in 45 minutes.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Janet mentioned to me the other day you guys were likely to come back. Sad to know Florida didn't live up to your expectations but happy you're rejoining the Az boaters circle of friends. Jans cousin is growing and making awesome family memories in your former Az home;)
Cheers bud, hugs to Sonya too.:cool:

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Tracy...Sorry that it didnt work for you two Great People...Little different for me as I Hardly Work Anyway...But Dead Nuts on getting anything Done Or If they Even Show Up...
Ive often thought about getting into a Service Business Here....You Just cant find Help ....Or if you Do...Maybe Show Or work a week and think they are the Cats Meow
Its A crap Shoot if they show up the Following Week..
With that being said...I truly wish the best for both of you...And im sorry for being a Shitty Friend this Summer
Between my broken Shoulder and Fucked up Hip...To Patty getting thrown from a Horse and She has a Broken Shoulder now as well
Getting Old Sucks My friend Hope to see you guys before you Depart
AJ

Warlock1

Reaction score
I live in Surprise and commute to Tempe. In July it was a 1 hour drive in the morning and 1.5 hour home. Now its approaching 2 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours home. I'm looking for another job and everything with good pay is East of I17. No traffic I can make it from Chandler to Surprise in 45 minutes.
Yeah my wife worked at Lifelock and it was 45 minutes on a good day and 1.5 hours on not so good day. We were in Cortessa in Surprise and then moved to Waddell later on.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Tracy...Sorry that it didnt work for you two Great People...Little different for me as I Hardly Work Anyway...But Dead Nuts on getting anything Done Or If they Even Show Up...
Ive often thought about getting into a Service Business Here....You Just cant find Help ....Or if you Do...Maybe Show Or work a week and think they are the Cats Meow
Its A crap Shoot if they show up the Following Week..
With that being said...I truly wish the best for both of you...And im sorry for being a Shitty Friend this Summer
Between my broken Shoulder and Fucked up Hip...To Patty getting thrown from a Horse and She has a Broken Shoulder now as well
Getting Old Sucks My friend Hope to see you guys before you Depart
AJ

We've thought about building a team of people consisting of a finish carpenter, rough in carpenter, plumber and an electrician. I guarantee we would be rolling in dough under my command within a year. No worries AJ, but you bring up another reason. The health care down here is abysmal. I hope you guys get better and for sure we will stop by when you give me your new address...lol

Cdog

Reaction score
SE Chandler/Gilbert has little micro ranch properties that sound right for you two. Ranch homes on 2+ acre lots with big garages.

My sister lives in Ft Lauderdale. It’s real nice where she’s at but 30 minutes of watching the local news and you’d think you were in Mogadishu.

Welcome back.