WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Compact Battery Jump Starters

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I have seen so many different Brands/Models of these Compacy Hand Held Jump Starters and am thinking would pay for it self with one Emergency Start. Any opinions?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I've got one of these in each of my vehicles and it starts my F150 up just fine.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The Noco ones are really good.

Pro-Tip - Don't leave them in your car in the hot summer, or throw it in the trunk that will get hot from exhaust. The cheap ones especially won't do well in extreme heat. If it ever appears swollen, dispose of it.

If you do leave it in the car, wrap it in a towel or something to insulate it.

Lumpy

Reaction score
I've got one of these in each of my vehicles and it starts my F150 up just fine.

What he said

traquer

Reaction score
Used mine twice and then on the third use it swelled up and I got scared and threw it in the water lol.

If you have a small car it's pretty slick but I'd just keep a full sized one in the boat or truck.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I have had 2 from Costco no luck.

NOCO is the top tier we have some at work about the size of a loaf of bread that can start our bucket and boom trucks. The price on Amazon is the same as our corporate discount. I am going to get a NOCO at some point.

Icky

Reaction score
I had the antigravity xp10 and it swelled on me while charging once, just out of warranty. I won't be buying another one from them. Curious to see what everyone else is using.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Same here with the ANtigravity XP10 swelling up while it was in my truck. I wont be buying any more of the lithium jump starters.

I had the antigravity xp10 and it swelled on me while charging once, just out of warranty. I won't be buying another one from them. Curious to see what everyone else is using.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Why does it seem like some folks are requiring a jump start so often? Ever since I learned to periodically test my batteries (20 years ago) I haven’t touched my jumper cables. If an automotive battery is ever low enough to require a jump...its never gonna recover to anywhere near 100%.
Modern vehicles won’t even let you forget stuff on and drain the battery I don’t think. Proper testing has always indicated a battery that while still working just fine, was degraded enough to warrant replacement giving me plenty of time to get a new one installed long before it left me stranded.
Maybe a battery tester would be a better investment?

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Why does it seem like some folks are requiring a jump start so often? Ever since I learned to periodically test my batteries (20 years ago) I haven’t touched my jumper cables. If an automotive battery is ever low enough to require a jump...its never gonna recover to anywhere near 100%.
Modern vehicles won’t even let you forget stuff on and drain the battery I don’t think. Proper testing has always indicated a battery that while still working just fine, was degraded enough to warrant replacement giving me plenty of time to get a new one installed long before it left me stranded.
So.... What battery tester do you recommend?

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

Icky

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used one of my jumper packs for anything that I own, but have used it multiple times on other people's stuff. Even though I keep my batteries charged in the boat, I still like to have one with me just incase.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Thank you and that's a crazy good price. I completely agree with you about batteries never coming back when discharged past 50%. This would be nice to help see what you're working with.

I test batteries in vehicles at every oil change...takes only a couple minutes. I like replacing shit before it fails at MY convenience.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I test batteries in vehicles at every oil change...takes only a couple minutes. I like replacing shit before it fails at MY convenience.
Where is the fun in that? 😆
I don't think I've ever used one of my jumper packs for anything that I own, but have used it multiple times on other people's stuff. Even though I keep my batteries charged in the boat, I still like to have one with me just incase.
Liar...😃

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Short answer for me: PD vehicles
We have too much shit wired in even with two battery’s. I end up jumping a patrol vehicle on almost every call out as guys turn off the car on a perimeter with rear ambers on. Anything over 39 minutes kills the batts

Bad wiring from the start?
Probably lol

dave29

Reaction score
I keep one in the car at the airport if I'm traveling. These cars are always thinking and eating battery power.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I have had a few of them, 2 from Costco top model, 1 from amazon and 1 that everyone was talking about here on RDs a few years ago. All 4 swelled up and had to throw them out. 2 were left in vehicles (before I learned not to) the other 2 were in a garage for the summer months in Vegas and they also swelled up. If I get another one I will be keeping it in the house..

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I have had a few of them, 2 from Costco top model, 1 from amazon and 1 that everyone was talking about here on RDs a few years ago. All 4 swelled up and had to throw them out. 2 were left in vehicles (before I learned not to) the other 2 were in a garage for the summer months in Vegas and they also swelled up. If I get another one I will be keeping it in the house..

BUT!!, Damn, you need to remember to take it with you everytime you leave the house, THEN it may still Swell in a Hot Car. Would keeping it Wrapped and inside a Cooler in the Trunk Eliminate this Issue?

beertruck

Reaction score
My wife got one and I laughed at her. Said there was no way this would start a dead battery, hell my plug in battery charger has to be hooked up for a long time to start the car.
Had a issue with a dead battery in my Hummer H2, and my daughter grabbed the one my wife bought her. Tried it just to appease her.
Hooked it up, and immediately interior lights of the hummer come on. I turn the key, and it fires right up. I was amazed, not only does this work to start your car or boat in a emergency, you can also charge your phone or laptop on it. Highly recommend them.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I had a thread on FB. Everyone that was a tow, transport, or heavy equipment person recommended the Noco.

I bought the 70. It started my boat no problem, with completely dead batteries and had been sitting all winter. The boats takes a few long cranks to start after sitting all winter.

It still showed a full charge afterwards. I have jumped 3 more cars since, and it still shows a full charge.

Sent Using Tapatalk