WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Competitive Trailer Brakes

SpectraMike

Reaction score
I just picked up a new (to me) boat and it sits on an '07, Competitive double axle with surge brakes and a break away tongue. The brakes don't seem to work at all and the coupler mechanism moves around (back and forth) a lot more than my previous Competitive. I'm not too familiar with boat trailer brake setups. Any recommendations on what to look at first? I store the boat in Havasu so I may have to take it to a shop. Any recommendations for trailer service/repair? Thanks

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Pull the drums and look. Mine always seem to rust up inside.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Disks on both or disks on one? Any fluid in the master and if so, what does it look like?
MIGHT be able to bleed and be okay.
Calipers can be rebuilt and master cyls can be changed. But If the grease needs service do it all

Last edited:

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
WEW, single will save you some dough. if you are handy, you can get the parts on line and do it yourself. UFP parts (I'd assume yours have em), have been going up in price to crazy levels the last couple of years.
Mine is a 96 and I cut off all the springs and double drums in favor of single disk torsion tandem. Discs, single or tandem work so well I can't back up a trailer with my forklift with out the fifth pin connected. Worth fixing !

SpectraMike

Reaction score
I recommend pulling it a part and taking a look. Take a few and teach yourself how it’s fixed. I recently did this with my trailer brakes and wrote a summary on it.

Trailer Brake Love
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=10383&share_tid=202125&url=https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/index.php?threads/Trailer-Brake-Love.202125/&share_type=t

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I didn't even know where to look for parts. Thanks, will probably save me a ton