WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Compton Christmas Street Race Crash

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I don’t stand at or near the finish line at NHRA events - how stupid ( read Darwin Award winners ) do you have to be, to trust these idiots? I was at an NHRA event where one of my buddies almost got taken out by Robert Hight’s body, and a spectator got killed when hit by a rear tire from a broken axle. Do stupid shit, get these results

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Flagged a lot of races in my time. 9 and 10 second rides were about all the fastest I'd seen. It was probably one of the safer places to be. The further towards the 60ft mark, the more crossed up things could get.

unless I was making a pass, I was never at the top end...way too risky, especially with street cars on streets.

RIP.

May not be the brightest move, but I've been there. We all make mistakes. If we're lucky, our mistakes don't effect other people. It's a rarity though.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Rumor it was Dano.

133178935_10219364097552748_4959945693231147901_n.jpg

I heard about it but can't find much info on it. One of the dead was a pretty popular car event blogger. Sad deal for all involved.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I too would have expected it to be all over the local news.

It has been all over facebook that he passed in a accident. But info about what happened is pretty much non existent. Figured the local news would have ran the story of the crash at least and sensationalized street racing bad.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Last race I was staged to go, Roadrunner and GTO trailered in( big deal back in the day) ahead of me, driving buddies Roadrunner.
Arleta. Neither would lift, hit each other then into crowd and cars. Totaled cars, broken legs and worse. I quitly drive off the other way and said " Yaaaa... No, I've had enough."

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
That "race" brings out a lot of the same idiots that show up at "takeovers". There was another group later in the day racing in the same area with no crowds and no issues. The second group got chased out of the high desert Christmas morning by the CHP before they could run their Christmas races.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Did lotta street racing in the early 60s to mid 60s never saw anybody crash or never heard of anybody crashing actually in a race ...but crashing doing other bonehead maneuvers someone did something stupid at least once a week...Dunno???...
... in that era probably the fastest thing out there would’ve been in the low 12’s...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
From my place in LB...races, assholes doing donuts, and guys on metric bikes acting stupid have been going off since Christmas eve. A few sounded like they had some stout hardware....real stout....the rest sounded like punks. I was waiting for a bang but never heard one. I'm too old for that shit these days. Had a buddy get killed a few years back at a street race in Gardena or Compton or wherever...it was on TV...guys's name was Wilson Wong. I worked with him at Marina Del Rey toyota and we rode dirt bikes together. Too much stupid these days.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Something just occurred to me about this deal...There was a trick in street racing Wayback in the day of having your buddies approach your opponents car from the rear and put a little chassis grease on the guys tires ..,I am wondering if somebody greased the tires of whatever that car was.., I think somebody said it was a Cadillac .,,well not knowing anything about modern day vehicles I don’t know if it was a hot rod or a stock Cadillac or what???..,
...Had it done to me a couple of times until I figured it out... I wondered why my car wasn’t hooking up???..

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I went to a Christmas party a few weeks ago with a bunch of cops. This topic came up as they had a call the night before and a spectator kid died that was watching the action. Not sure if it was a race or a stop the freeway and do donuts deal. But the cops said people die watching those things all the time. It’s very common you just don’t hear about it much.

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Sad....everyone loves to sit here and armchair QB what happened and say how stupid they where, but who hasnt been on the wrong end of the strip? Cars starting to soon while your shutting down, people pulling out while your running, shit happens. Reality is that I was that young dumb kid out street racing when I was younger, whether it was on my Gsxr 1100, or my 300ZX TT, you raced because you loved to race. Technology has made the consequences much more severe now with being able to buy your way in to a race verse having to build your way in. Shit goes wrong when you go fast plain and simple, whether its boats, cars, motorcycles or SXS. Rip to the innocent lives lost.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yeah now you can buy a stock car and get into the low 10's easily at an affordable price. My 10yo 100k V still runs low 12 and stock. Gonna have to talk with @Bigbore500r soon...😁

I have an LS9 sleeper cam and a blower ready for porting in my garage. LS9 cam is a drop in, just needs valve springs. Makes another 30 HP to the wheels stock, and more with other mods. Keeps a stock idle and drivability.

I no longer need either of them.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
...Something just occurred to me about this deal...There was a trick in street racing Wayback in the day of having your buddies approach your opponents car from the rear and put a little chassis grease on the guys tires ..,I am wondering if somebody greased the tires of whatever that car was.., I think somebody said it was a Cadillac .,,well not knowing anything about modern day vehicles I don’t know if it was a hot rod or a stock Cadillac or what???..,
...Had it done to me a couple of times until I figured it out... I wondered why my car wasn’t hooking up???..

Cadillac should have just let off. It will do exactly what it did in the video with the stability and traction control off. No grease is needed.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have an LS9 sleeper cam and a blower ready for porting in my garage. LS9 cam is a drop in, just needs valve springs. Makes another 30 HP to the wheels stock, and more with other mods. Keeps a stock idle and drivability.

I no longer need either of them.
hmmm

poncho

Reaction score
Sad....everyone loves to sit here and armchair QB what happened and say how stupid they where, but who hasnt been on the wrong end of the strip? Cars starting to soon while your shutting down, people pulling out while your running, shit happens. Reality is that I was that young dumb kid out street racing when I was younger, whether it was on my Gsxr 1100, or my 300ZX TT, you raced because you loved to race. Technology has made the consequences much more severe now with being able to buy your way in to a race verse having to build your way in. Shit goes wrong when you go fast plain and simple, whether its boats, cars, motorcycles or SXS. Rip to the innocent lives lost.
Some people are willing to take risks, some are not....I was the one willing and luckily never took myself or anyone else with me, not skill just luck.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yeah now you can buy a stock car and get into the low 10's easily at an affordable price. My 10yo 100k V still runs low 12 and stock. Gonna have to talk with @Bigbore500r soon...😁
Yep! 10 second 125mph+ trap speeds are just a pulley swap and tune away for a lot of these newer boosted cars (or stock hellcats....). The average street race used to be 12-15 second cars, with guys trailering in 11 and 10 second cars and that was a big deal. Not anymore!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yep! 10 second 125mph+ trap speeds are just a pulley swap and tune away for a lot of these newer boosted cars (or stock hellcats....). The average street race used to be 12-15 second cars, with guys trailering in 11 and 10 second cars and that was a big deal. Not anymore!
Exactly! Back in my day!

My Notch was a high 12 second car. Considered slow now.

poncho

Reaction score

Exactly what happened where I lived, we were all between 12-14 second guy's. Started getting more and more car's showing up. All of a sudden we had cars in the 10's and 11's and money started changing hands. I used to say a game of pool is fun till a dollar hits the table.
Guy's were claiming they drove there so we had guy's that would go out and find trucks and trailers blocks away behind buildings etc.
Fistfights, cheating and other BS soured me, ironically about this time I found boats and never looked back. I still went and watched on the weekends and it was a shit ton more fun with no skin in the game.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I doubt any of this will be covered under this drivers insurance. Especially when the adjuster googles the incident 🤪.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Once again, Yaaaa no.
Unlike true armchair quarterbacking, where nobody has experience in pro sports,
Pretty much most of the people posting in this thread could probably qualify as experts. Never finding themselves at the wrong end of the track, or Apex, or place on the hill.
I agree, any moron that can make a payment, can buy something that could kill them or someone else in a heartbeat.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Its ironic this forum just shits on these guys who lost their lives watching an unsanctioned race.....most folks on this forum stand and film and cheer as unsanctioned passes happen in front of Fox's and Sundance any given summer weekend.... where any of us could lose our lives if one of those boats loses it.... Shit happens and sux these guys lost their lives. I would see Dano every night there was cruising in HB....he was truly a custom car enthusiast just as we are fast boat enthusiast..

707dog

Reaction score
pretty sad i have watched tons of that guys car event videos on youtube even sparked my interest of coming down to catch a HB show/cruise...

what happen to this gent is different but there is a IG page called "get back or get smacked" with hrs of videos of the dummies getting hit during this shit

HBCraig

Reaction score
Its ironic this forum just shits on these guys who lost their lives watching an unsanctioned race.....most folks on this forum stand and film and cheer as unsanctioned passes happen in front of Fox's and Sundance any given summer weekend.... where any of us could lose our lives if one of those boats loses it.... Shit happens and sux these guys lost their lives. I would see Dano every night there was cruising in HB....he was truly a custom car enthusiast just as we are fast boat enthusiast..
Agreed. Dano was a staple in HB. Poor guy

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
pretty sad i have watched tons of that guys car event videos on youtube even sparked my interest of coming down to catch a HB show/cruise...

what happen to this gent is different but there is a IG page called "get back or get smacked" with hrs of videos of the dummies getting hit during this shit
And the his girlfriend on the news report said he wasn't there to watch the race.

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score

My point exactly! We all are here hopefully for the same reason...to enjoy Performance boating to one extent or another, and as I said earlier shit happens fast when you add horsepower.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As others, raced here and there...Ontario, Compton, Long Beach, Industry, etc...
Cars were slower then. A guy couldn't finance a 10sec ride. You had to build it. Often times, it would take years. You learned that car, and "grew up" together. Your skills grew with your mph. More money, more speed, more seat time...you know, up hill 5 miles in the snow...old school. I drove a Hellcat a few weeks ago. F' me! Mild mods done to it, one of the faster/ quicker things I've driven. The kid who owns it is a landscaper...never had anything like it before.

Terminal velocity can be just that.

...but yes, we all should know what is at risk while doing stupid things. We all feel invincible at some time. "Live and learn" is a goal, not a given.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
. . . and not a single person called 911. They can all burn themselves as far as I'm concerned.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I must be out of touch.
I watched that video several times and failed to ever see any “race”....
I saw 2 cars speeding down a crowded street resulting in a fatal accident.

Last edited:

kurtis500

Reaction score
Looked like dumb people doing dumb things...

At a real drag strip nobody would notice them..

I only (drag boat) raced at a lake with rescue and etc.. Even in my flatbottom at the lake I dont race. I love watching the 65mph jet boats pull up along side, nod their head, then accelerate maybe 30-40mph only to look back and see me cruising.... The disappointment in their face can be seen 100 ft away