WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Computer Tech Questions

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't know when the plug is going to be pulled for the RDP swap, so hopefully this gets read tomorrow sometime. Here's the deal, I don't know crap about hertz and bytes and that kind of stuff. My son has been using a hand me down laptop for a year or two. It's a cheap thing, but has done decent for homework. Well, he's been getting interested in 3D modeling. Not enough brain or memory in the old notebook. The ultimate goal will be to set up a 3D printer as well. I told him that a better computer should be the starting point, and he seemed to think that made sense too.
So, my question for you tech peeps, does the thing need to be super computer? What types of numbers do I need for what part? I'm leaning towards an old school tower, as it will have a desk here. I don't know, I'm a pencil and paper guy.

Ghit

Reaction score
https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/ Last computer you'll need for a while.

Or build a system around higher clocked Intel or AMD proc e.g. Intel i9 12700K, get a shit load of ram and nvme disk, mainboard compatible with it all and some Nvidia RTX GPU(may not be needed depending on the software and can get away with something cheaper).

Look at the software requirements and build the hardware to those specifications.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
This reminds me of the gaming computer upgrades we did over the years to keep up with the updates to the game our son played.

Figure out what software you will be running, then get a computer that will run it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
3D modeling software (ie Solidworks and the like) have pretty specific requirements. Usually a discrete (seperate workstation card), cpu is important but not as important as the graphics, then you definitely need a lot of ram as the projects need to load somewhere. For a hard drive you should have a large SSD type for the OS and programs and scratch location. Typically then a regular hard drive is used for project storage due to the large file sizes.

Look into getting a recent but used workstation from the major players (Dell or HP) they typical have refurbs and old stock for sale for cheaper than the latest and greatest. You can also look at NewEgg as they have an assortment of systems though sometimes it’s hard to weed out the trash for the nuggets.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Build your own it’s fun. But for 3d rendering you need lots of good ram and a good gpu. A decent cpu is a must too.

Do not go pre built you will get ripped off. Build your own it’s super easy.

Micro center, Newegg and Amazon will be your friends

My computer will do what your asking

Amd ryzen 7 3700x
Nvidea 3080 Ti
Corsair 3600 mhz 64gb ram
B550 mobo
Water cooled cpu
(2) m.2 ssd 1tb each Samsung 980 evo

034E2F5B-D759-47F8-AD74-934236281CEC.jpeg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Build your own it’s fun. But for 3d rendering you need lots of good ram and a good gpu. A decent cpu is a must too.

Amd ryzen 7 3700x
Nvidea 3080 Ti
B550 mobo
Water cooled cpu

View attachment 1144568

This. You do NOT need to spend 9k for a computer to do what you want.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow, going to have to do some homework this afternoon :oops: I think assembling or upgrading a tower shouldn't be that hard...I used to assemble them for my brother. I really had no clue what the pieces did, but the actual hardware portion...plugging stuff in, seemed pretty straightforward years ago.
Funny, today I have a big ass Cummins in the que to wrench on. Digital age meets diesel dumbass 😂

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

Amd ryzen 7 3700x
Nvidea 3080 Ti
B550 mobo
Water cooled cpu

View attachment 1144568
How much do you have into that setup?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Im not a tech guy either, but most of the CNC programmers i know, are using either tower style computers, but alot of them are going to Dell laptops allowing them to work on the shop floor with the set up guys at the machine. not sure of the model number of laptop. but they are all running Catia, masterscam and solidworks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
for 3d rendering and stuff ram and a powerful video card for sure. when i was talking to reps from a 3d printer company they told me to budget approx $5k for the laptop to run the things efficiently.
I can safely say that's not in the budget. Been comparing some of the stuff listed above to what's online, both parts and assemblies.

Here's the deal, this particular son can't do sports, and most of the normal school things don't interest him. Sports were the only thing that kept me in school, so I can kind of understand. He's sharp, 3rd year college math, but is now trying to find what he'll do with his life. He'd wanted to go into the Air Force, but health issues aren't going to let that happen. Designing stuff from a start seems to interest him more than my skills of simply fixing crap. I don't blame him. Drones and their abilities, solid works stuff and 3D printers are the major "sparks" I've seen the past year or so. Reaching far beyond my skillsets to try and turn that spark into something bigger.

All this said, I really do appreciate the input from all of you. This is pretty tough for me to wade through. Trying to help him with some interests and maybe things that can lead to types of employment later. I've never made a living with much other than my hands and back, so some of these things look like they should be on a SpaceX flight.

C-2

Reaction score
Look at older Dell WORKSTATIONS.

WORKSTATION...
Which is a business-grade computer. They are computers that sold for thousands of dollars, but now you can buy them off-lease for low hundreds of dollars.
They can be used as a solid base for gaming or other graphic intensive rigs.

I have two older Dell workstations:

T3500 the wife uses,

Dell Precision workstation
Xeon, 6-core processor at 3.07 ghz
16GB RAM
525 watt power supply
240 GB SSD
Win 10 Pro

I paid $259 shipped.

-------------------------

My computer is decent:

Dell Precision
Twin Xeon Intel Xeon X5670 @ 3.33 ghz, 6- cores ( X2= 12 cores)
48GB RAM expandable to a 192GB(!)
2TB mechanical hard drive
Full RAID configuration and controller
1100 watt power supply - <-----will never run out of power
Win 10 Pro

I paid $339 and picked it up locally.

I disabled/removed teh RAID setup, but I need to switch out the mechanical hard drive to an SSD, just haven't had time to do so.
This is a true TOWER it is 23" high and weighs 60 lbs! The computer/massive power supply puts out some heat though, it can double as a heater in a small room during the winter, lol.

For the naysayers about Win 10 - I was lazy and on both computers, I simply took the hard drives/SSD out of our old regular desktops and popped them into the T3500/T7500 and bam, Windows adjusted all the drivers and settings and by the third boot into Windows and both systems ran flawlessly (and continue to run great). I can't wait to do a fresh install of Windows so they will run even better, but no time.

-----------

Some info to consider:

A Xeon processor is built to run at full throttle 24/7, 365 days per year, they are typically found in servers. Having multiple "cores" and threads allows a computer to execute machine instructions faster, the machine does not need to wait to execute the next instruction (all instructions performed in milliseconds, but one at a time)

SSD - a solid state hard drive will significantly increase the speed of your computer.

RAM - buy as much as possible. Each motherboard has a limit on how much RAM can be added to it, be sure to look at that spec, too.
When a computer starts, it loads Windows into RAM and your entire computing session runs in RAM.
It only uses the SSD or hard drive for storage, or to retrieve files from "storage."

Expansion slots - make sure there are enough slots on the motherboard/rear of the computer to add video cards/GPU's and other peripherals.

Power supply - make sure the power supply is big enough to handle large GPU's and other peripherals. If you start adding hardware to your rig - you need enough power to make them run!

--------------

Research used workstations on eBay, there tons of them for sale, including newer models.

Happy hunting! :)

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Get a good workstation like C-2 has and add a really good video card and lots of memory and you should be good to go for a good price. My son just gave me a quad zeon server I will be setting up for my house.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I can safely say that's not in the budget. Been comparing some of the stuff listed above to what's online, both parts and assemblies.

Here's the deal, this particular son can't do sports, and most of the normal school things don't interest him. Sports were the only thing that kept me in school, so I can kind of understand. He's sharp, 3rd year college math, but is now trying to find what he'll do with his life. He'd wanted to go into the Air Force, but health issues aren't going to let that happen. Designing stuff from a start seems to interest him more than my skills of simply fixing crap. I don't blame him. Drones and their abilities, solid works stuff and 3D printers are the major "sparks" I've seen the past year or so. Reaching far beyond my skillsets to try and turn that spark into something bigger.

All this said, I really do appreciate the input from all of you. This is pretty tough for me to wade through. Trying to help him with some interests and maybe things that can lead to types of employment later. I've never made a living with much other than my hands and back, so some of these things look like they should be on a SpaceX flight.
what is your budget and i can price everything out that will make sense for you? keep in mind the bulk of your budget will be GPU for 3d modeling.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This reminds me of the gaming computer upgrades we did over the years to keep up with the updates to the game our son played.

Figure out what software you will be running, then get a computer that will run it.

This. ^^^

3D modeling software (ie Solidworks and the like) have pretty specific requirements. Usually a discrete (seperate workstation card), cpu is important but not as important as the graphics, then you definitely need a lot of ram as the projects need to load somewhere. For a hard drive you should have a large SSD type for the OS and programs and scratch location. Typically then a regular hard drive is used for project storage due to the large file sizes.

Look into getting a recent but used workstation from the major players (Dell or HP) they typical have refurbs and old stock for sale for cheaper than the latest and greatest. You can also look at NewEgg as they have an assortment of systems though sometimes it’s hard to weed out the trash for the nuggets.

And this. ^^^

Decide what software (3D program) he wants to use first. The software company will give you the "minimum requirements" and "recommended requirements" to use their program. They know what their software needs!

Building something is way fun, but don't forget...

You'll need a licensed copy of Windows, and that is NOT free and can get expensive when you start adding up all of the components you will need. Like Kevin said, you'll most likely need a high end video card, and those can get expensive as well. When you start adding up all the different components you'll need (just like building and engine from scratch) things can add up REAL fast!!!

If you can find a preassembled computer, it might actually be cheaper these days. They buy the components and software at huge discounts, unlike you, who will have to pay retail. (you know how this works all too well)

I've had really good luck with companies like ACER.

You can go to microcenter or newegg and start your search by selecting the video card the 3D software company recommends and then drill down from there.

Call me if you have ANY questions at all...

Start with the 3D software decision and you wont go wrong!!!! 👍

P.S. I highly recommend dual 4k monitors as well. (personal decision from experience)

JBZ

Reaction score
I have a great guy who has built a couple of systems for me.
You just need to tell him what you are doing and he will sort it out.

Commerce Technologies, LLC
Pete Maddox
2837 Shadow Canyon Circle
Norco, CA 92860
951-407-1500
www.commercetech.net

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
i have a 1070 gpu if you can use that for sale as well. its a few years old but works great. not sure if it will be enough card for 3d stuff tho?

my current rig is a running a 3080ti. love this card 4k gaming. and with 64gb of ram its lightning fast. my bottle neck is the cpu but i am not streaming so i am ok for now

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Another option is the Dell outlet. They say refurbished, they are mostly end of run, cancelled orders, wrong orders, etc. Stay with their business end, Latitudes for laptops and Optiplex or Precision for workstations.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
personally i wouls stay the hell away from dell/hp/ whatever in the marketplace. its almost impossible to upgrade down the road and you will have a ton of useless software on these machines. if you want pre built go aftermarket. (DO YOUR REASEARCH) LOTS OF RIPOFFS OUT THERE or build your own. its super easy!!!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
what is your budget and i can price everything out that will make sense for you? keep in mind the bulk of your budget will be GPU for 3d modeling.
I really haven't come up with a budget yet. By some standards, it will be pretty low (part time mechanic that owns a jet boat and cars older than my kids) I went on Newegg last night...because my normal hangout needed a computer too 😂...and couldn't believe what people must pay for playing video games! I'm sure the same thing is said about tool truck stuff too.

This. ^^^

And this. ^^^

Decide what software (3D program) he wants to use first. The software company will give you the "minimum requirements" and "recommended requirements" to use their program. They know what their software needs!

Building something is way fun, but don't forget...

You'll need a licensed copy of Windows, and that is NOT free and can get expensive when you start adding up all of the components you will need. Like Kevin said, you'll most likely need a high end video card, and those can get expensive as well. When you start adding up all the different components you'll need (just like building and engine from scratch) things can add up REAL fast!!!

If you can find a preassembled computer, it might actually be cheaper these days. They buy the components and software at huge discounts, unlike you, who will have to pay retail. (you know how this works all too well)

I've had really good luck with companies like ACER.

You can go to microcenter or newegg and start your search by selecting the video card the 3D software company recommends and then drill down from there.

Call me if you have ANY questions at all...

Start with the 3D software decision and you wont go wrong!!!! 👍

P.S. I highly recommend dual 4k monitors as well. (personal decision from experience)

I know my son had messed with "Fusion 360" I believe. Don't know anything about it yet, but will look into it tonight. Solid Works is the one I've heard talked about, as @ltbaney1 had mentioned.

I figure if I look for the recommendations, it shouldn't hurt to try to find or build something above that. Like having a cushion.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
my computer is a do all machine, I can game with the best of them. I can do 3D modeling and what not, Photo/video editing, Streaming, general office programs, google earth for rides, RDP like a champ. it will not be outdated for some time now. my weak link is my CPU but those arent crazy pricey right now.

like i said i have a 1070 i would let go. its a decent little GPU.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I really haven't come up with a budget yet. By some standards, it will be pretty low (part time mechanic that owns a jet boat and cars older than my kids) I went on Newegg last night...because my normal hangout needed a computer too 😂...and couldn't believe what people must pay for playing video games! I'm sure the same thing is said about tool truck stuff too.

I know my son had messed with "Fusion 360" I believe. Don't know anything about it yet, but will look into it tonight. Solid Works is the one I've heard talked about, as @ltbaney1 had mentioned.

I figure if I look for the recommendations, it shouldn't hurt to try to find or build something above that. Like having a cushion.

Yep. Like I said...

They will usually post a "minimum requirement" and the "recommended requirement".

Cushions are always nice. 😉

Oh boy. Solidworks has some serious requirements:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yep. Like I said...

They will usually post a "minimum requirement" and the "recommended requirement".

Cushions are always nice. 😉

Oh boy. Solidworks has some serious requirements:

As I said...research :oops: Most of that may as well have been written in Sanskrit! I have to verify this Fusion thing he mentioned. He had said the requirements weren't as bad for it. It would appear he may have looked into it a bit.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Key, like others have said is to look into the software first, that will really narrow down the requirements... You don't need crazy stuff to run the software now because of gaming becoming so popular almost all of the graphics cards are capable...

C-2

Reaction score
The requirements aren't that bad, Win 10, 16GB and an SSD.

SQL is a database language, on a standalone product I imagine MS Access, which comes with Office 365 (SaS so it's always updated), will work. It's just a database, a place where info is stored and you retrieve it.

I imagine you don't need any form of MS Server as you are not an enterprise company and you won't be serving/distributing info to anybody.

The $250 machine or something similar would get you there, the T7500 or something similar would be better, especially with an upgraded GPU (graphics card)

That T7500 would give you more computing power than 95% of RDP members have, lol. The T7500 retailed for between $4-6K in 2009 (!)

The off-lease Dell and even HP workstations give you COA Windows 10 Pro without any bloatware.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
As I said...research :oops: Most of that may as well have been written in Sanskrit! I have to verify this Fusion thing he mentioned. He had said the requirements weren't as bad for it. It would appear he may have looked into it a bit.
This is all good stuff. In a way, it’s like a Dad in a tackle store with his son picking out new fishing gear for him. You may not end up buying it all. But, it’s all time very well spent with your son. WTG Dad.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
A lot of good info here. Foremost, I am NOT a computer guy, BUT I run teams of SW developers, ME’s and EE’s developing medical platforms. FDA/IVD level

I can look up a reasonable off the shelf system that will run CAD (solid works) and consumer grade printers (industrial printers are stand alone but use basically the same stuff… configured specific to the use -too much to go into here). Can check what we are using on-site tomorrow.

GPU is often the hold up with older units and off the shelf “all-in-one solutions.”

64-bit
Separate GPU (this will be the modeling muscle)
Multi-core (more=parallel tasks)
SSD
RAM, RAM, RAM

Since I’m a peripheral computer guy, there’s folks surely on here that can guide you. The 7500 was a beast but was that 32-bit?

sintax

Reaction score
pretty much anything made in the last 10 years is 64bit, you wont be able to buy anything thats JUST 32bit. Everything now is 64 bit w/ backwards compatibility w/ 32bit

outboard_256

Reaction score
I bought a gaming desktop a few years ago for my 3d printing/modeling. Haven't had any issues running fusion 360. I have less than $1500 in the tower, then another $1k in monitors. Here are the specs on my computer so you can compare. Ram is a little on the low side but I haven't hit max yet, hovers around 75%. You should be able to get comparable for cheaper now. Was using a older laptop before and it was horrible.

Intel Core i7-10700F​

GeForce RTX 2060 Super​

16GB Memory​

1TB SSD​

C-2

Reaction score
A lot of good info here. Foremost, I am NOT a computer guy, BUT I run teams of SW developers, ME’s and EE’s developing medical platforms. FDA/IVD level

I can look up a reasonable off the shelf system that will run CAD (solid works) and consumer grade printers (industrial printers are stand alone but use basically the same stuff… configured specific to the use -too much to go into here). Can check what we are using on-site tomorrow.

GPU is often the hold up with older units and off the shelf “all-in-one solutions.”

64-bit
Separate GPU (this will be the modeling muscle)
Multi-core (more=parallel tasks)
SSD
RAM, RAM, RAM

Since I’m a peripheral computer guy, there’s folks surely on here that can guide you. The 7500 was a beast but was that 32-bit?
Both the t3500 and t7500 are 64-bit

C-2

Reaction score
Yes, they are old machines but they are capable and still humming along nicely. I found a message board where some tech guys discuss them all day long.

In fact I want to go on there and ask them for an older SSD recommendation so I can buy one used.

Yes, I'm a cheap ass like that lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yes, they are old machines but they are capable and still humming along nicely. I found a message board where some tech guys discuss them all day long.

In fact I want to go on there and ask them for an older SSD recommendation so I can buy one used.

Yes, I'm a cheap ass like that lol
It's not being cheap, it's for the good of the planet's resources. It's recycling;)

As pointed out, lots of good info here. Honestly, probably learned more here computer related than I have the past 10 years.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The Fusion software looks a lot less demanding.

braindead

Reaction score

you said it yourself “designing stuff from the start seems to interest him more than my skills of simply fixing crap” so why don’t you work with him on this project and build his own computer?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Very good thread. Anxious to follow its build. It’s all good. Other than paying for new iPhones and iPads, I know shit about it these days. Enjoy your ventures with your son.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Im a gaming geek and hgave built about 10 systems for myself.

Right now is one of the worst times for buying parts. Everything is super expensive. Great video cards which you need used to be 500 bux top of the line now you are talking 1000s.

As was suggested build your own! Way cheaper. pretty fun. and will only take you a few hours to assemble if you are new.

Im in the need of building a system for myslef so i can hand my son this one but the pricing is just stupid right now and has been the last 2 years. Blame Covid

Dirtbag

Reaction score
The key to building your stable and great comp is to not go cheap on the motherboard. ASUS makes great boards and I would highly recommend.
Make sure you have plenty of ram. Do not go off the minimum requirements for the programs you intend to use.
Make sure you have at least 2 HDs SSD. One for the operating system and one for all the data you will be saving.
Graphics card is a key component and I would recommend not going cheap here.
Try to match graphics card with your motherboard. If u go asus mobo go asus graph card
Definitely go water cooling system so you dont have a loud machine with fans.
Make sure your power supply is enough to run your graphics cards. Look for quiet power supplies as well.

newegg and microcenter is the only place i shop for computer parts.
You can get your monitors and peripherals anywhere

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
you said it yourself “designing stuff from the start seems to interest him more than my skills of simply fixing crap” so why don’t you work with him on this project and build his own computer?
It's not off the table at all. It's more about weighing options, seeing what's required, and what's available. If I can find something that needs some upgrades at a fair price, he'll also get to see it on the table cracked open. We can do the upgrades together before it goes into service.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Try Autodesk Fusion 360. It runs in the cloud, so less local compute needs. It does 3d modeling and has a powerful CAM package for CNC operations, can output to a slicer for 3d printing. Best of all it’s free for hobbyists and students with some limits.

Do you need a 3d printer? I have a pretty beefy one I’m not using if your interested, free.

C-2

Reaction score
I can see the fun in building a rig from scratch with a cool case and lights. Wait till you se how much gaming chairs cost, lol.

If you go with something like I described, there are plenty of vids and posts about doing it, and there are models from T3500 to the T7500.

I think Kayotk built one using the T7500 as a platform. I bought mine with the intent of using it as a desktop, and to act as a media server to rip music CD's into FLAC files for lossless digital music playback. It has 4 hard drive bays and the RAID setup and I want to avoid a NAS device.

What I described is an old man computer. Something like Joe would use.... 😂 ✌️ :D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Try Autodesk Fusion 360. It runs in the cloud, so less local compute needs. It does 3d modeling and has a powerful CAM package for CNC operations, can output to a slicer for 3d printing. Best of all it’s free for hobbyists and students with some limits.

Do you need a 3d printer? I have a pretty beefy one I’m not using if your interested, free.
I haven't even started looking at the printers yet...at least not seriously. I am kind of going one step at a time, ducks in a row? I appreciate the offer, and yes I'd be interested, but don't know how the rest is going to happen yet. That, and I'd have to give you something.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Im a gaming geek and hgave built about 10 systems for myself.

Right now is one of the worst times for buying parts. Everything is super expensive. Great video cards which you need used to be 500 bux top of the line now you are talking 1000s.

As was suggested build your own! Way cheaper. pretty fun. and will only take you a few hours to assemble if you are new.

Im in the need of building a system for myslef so i can hand my son this one but the pricing is just stupid right now and has been the last 2 years. Blame Covid

This is probably the ONE thing we can't blame on Covid!!! lol

Crypto is the real culprit here. The good video cards quadrupled in price once the crypto miners started buying them up. This was the start of the OG chip shortage, and Covid just added to it.

Video cards perform mathematic calculations. The blockchain needs massive amount of math calculations to survive. Prices have somewhat come down recently, but they are still way higher than before crypto mining became popular.

Interesting article I just found...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This thread would be great in English.
I was just going to ask...WTH are "RAID" and "NAS"?
😂
I can see the fun in building a rig from scratch with a cool case and lights. Wait till you se how much gaming chairs cost, lol.

If you go with something like I described, there are plenty of vids and posts about doing it, and there are models from T3500 to the T7500.

I think Kayotk built one using the T7500 as a platform. I bought mine with the intent of using it as a desktop, and to act as a media server to rip music CD's into FLAC files for lossless digital music playback. It has 4 hard drive bays and the RAID setup and I want to avoid a NAS device.

What I described is an old man computer. Something like Joe would use.... 😂 ✌️ :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Oh you So funny!!! 🤣😁

Dirtbag

Reaction score
This is probably the ONE thing we can't blame on Covid!!! lol

Crypto is the real culprit here. The good video cards quadrupled in price once the crypto miners started buying them up. This was the start of the OG chip shortage, and Covid just added to it.

Video cards perform mathematic calculations. The blockchain needs massive amount of math calculations to survive. Prices have somewhat come down recently, but they are still way higher than before crypto mining became popular.

Interesting article I just found...

you are 1000% correct on crypto being an issue as well. but the supply chain issues have been a nasty culprit

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
It's not off the table at all. It's more about weighing options, seeing what's required, and what's available. If I can find something that needs some upgrades at a fair price, he'll also get to see it on the table cracked open. We can do the upgrades together before it goes into service.
We have been on computers since 1998 and paperless Since then. Over the year I have built and run networks. All the time swapping out and rebuilding as the mechanics were moved from server to kid’s/parent’s workstation. As it has been noted trying to upgrade always got you to a point but never where you needed to be. I’d find the requirements needed then build what you can above that. Best of luck to you and great to see you lift up your kids and build on their passion. I only wish that I was in the position of having a system that I could give to you for the 3D printer project. 👍

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Gpu are back to msrp prices now. I bought my 3080ti at msrp 4 months ago lol.

Just so happens my 3080 Ti is just about a 1k gpu lol.

Mobo is a key here. I would not go lower than a b450 (asus) b550 is great workhorse and reasonably priced.

I have a ryzen 7 3700x I wish I had at least the 5800 to match the rest of my system. I just OC it and it’s been good. My system is really stable now since I tuned my memory. But if I would have got 3200 mhz ram vs 3600 that wouldn’t have been a problem. 2 Tb m.2 drives is plenty of space for files. I also have s 5tb ssd (remote) as well.

4K monitors with good refresh rates are pricey so get ready for that.
Chairs are pricey too lol.

Right now I am only running 1440 monitors.

Nordie

Reaction score
personally i wouls stay the hell away from dell/hp/ whatever in the marketplace. its almost impossible to upgrade down the road and you will have a ton of useless software on these machines. if you want pre built go aftermarket. (DO YOUR REASEARCH) LOTS OF RIPOFFS OUT THERE or build your own. its super easy!!!!
I am a Lenovo fan boy and would have said to stay away from Dell, then my company gave me a Dell Latitude. This isn't your run of the mill cheapo dell. Thing feels and weighs of its not a cheap machine. There's the Homer guy stuff, and the professional stuff whole different ball game.

To answer the question, you're going to need to upgrade to push 3D modeling. If this is something he's passionate about and could be his future, spend the money.

These guys aren't steering you in the wrong direction at all. I could have my brother (he owns an IT company) and see what he could spec out for you.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am a Lenovo fan boy and would have said to stay away from Dell, then my company gave me a Dell Latitude. This isn't your run of the mill cheapo dell. Thing feels and weighs of its not a cheap machine. There's the Homer guy stuff, and the professional stuff whole different ball game.

To answer the question, you're going to need to upgrade to push 3D modeling. If this is something he's passionate about and could be his future, spend the money.

These guys aren't steering you in the wrong direction at all. I could have my brother (he owns an IT company) and see what he could spec out for you.

If I had to get something Microsoft Certified, I'd go with Lenovo as well. Pricey, but worth it. 👍